Author Topic: End of an era for Sylvania?  (Read 5572 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #60 on: June 11, 2023, 12:41:34 PM » Author: Rommie
Ok, I'll put my Judge Rommie hat on then - behave yourself or you'll feel the full power of my Force Lance  :mrg:

If you don't know what that means, look up 'Andromeda' on Wiki  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #61 on: June 11, 2023, 01:03:51 PM » Author: Maxim
Ria,

8;) :'-) :'-)

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #62 on: June 18, 2023, 10:25:48 PM » Author: Richmond2000
this all reminds me of a news piece from around 2000 and the end of the local to me CGE globe plant
CGE (General Electric Canada) closed its VANCOUVER globe plant as the COST to retrofit AND EXPAND it to produce the far more complex to build internal ballasted CFL's that were being "pushed" politically and consumers were NOT buying external ballasted CFL's to make the "mandate" that was to be around the corner
so facing forced phaseout of incandescent globes AND PL-S floro's not selling well compared to the self ballasted CFL "drop in" replacement bulbs
and the then NEW import CFL kept the price far to LOW to justify the expense so the local CGE and the Westinghouse / Philips globe plant got sold off and converted to a outdoor advertising company making billboard signage and the other was demoed and condo's replaced it
so every residential globe sold comes by boat from the far east and this "saves the planet" PS our power was near as totally hydro electric  :eoled:
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #63 on: June 18, 2023, 10:41:05 PM » Author: Richmond2000
I believe there was a agreement struck that the SOX/LPS lamp makers would ALL PHASE OUT there lamp production for LED units
"In 2017 Philips Lighting, the last manufacturer of LPS lamps, announced they were discontinuing production of the lamps due to falling demand.[16] Initially, production was due to be phased out in the course of 2020, but this date was brought forward and the last lamps were produced at the Hamilton factory on December 31, 2019"
as found on Wikipedia  :lps:
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #64 on: June 23, 2023, 11:34:48 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I was pretty annoyed when CGE shut down the Oakville, ON lamp plant more than a decade ago (site is still empty BTW) which made incandescent and linear fluorescent, same with LEDVance pulled the plug on the Drummondville, QC plant a few years ago. I don't think there are any lamp plants left in Canada now, only luminaire plants.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #65 on: June 24, 2023, 09:14:03 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Richmond2000:
And yet demand for SOX lighting has now picked up again, and they're being made in China.  ??? All of those people in Hamilton just thrown out of work.  :curse:

Unfortunately everyone seems to be moving production there, and the rest of the world is losing its manufacturing base.  :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #66 on: June 24, 2023, 07:59:26 PM » Author: Richmond2000
yup the outcome of "artificial" market manipulation AND forced "obsolescence"
you leave a vacuum for a NEW player to enter

[Admin edit: Quote removed on request from user]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 08:55:23 AM by Rommie » Logged
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #67 on: June 25, 2023, 03:23:35 PM » Author: BT25
@ Richmond2000:
And yet demand for SOX lighting has now picked up again, and they're being made in China.  ??? All of those people in Hamilton just thrown out of work.  :curse:

Unfortunately everyone seems to be moving production there, and the rest of the world is losing its manufacturing base.  :'(

All part of Dr. Evil's plan...bwanahhhahahahhahahaha!!!! >:D >:D >:D

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #68 on: June 25, 2023, 03:48:32 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Oi! A bit of demarcation here please...  :slap:
I'm the one who does the evil laughs around here.!!!
Bwahahhhahahahhahahaha!!!!  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #69 on: June 25, 2023, 03:57:15 PM » Author: Richmond2000
All part of Dr. Evil's plan...bwanahhhahahahhahahaha!!!! >:D >:D >:D
bwanahhhahahahhahahaha NEVER bwanahhhahahahhahahaha

[Admin edit: Quote removed on request from user, please do not quote people in the very next post to theirs.]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 04:01:27 PM by Rommie » Logged
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #70 on: June 25, 2023, 07:12:09 PM » Author: BT25
Oi! A bit of demarcation here please...  :slap:
I'm the one who does the evil laughs around here.!!!
Bwahahhhahahahhahahaha!!!!  :mrg:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 :slap: :slap: :slap:  ;D

Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #71 on: June 25, 2023, 07:17:24 PM » Author: Rommie
Hey, talking about demarcation, just who is the Chief Slapper around here..?  ;D  :police:

:slap: :slap: :slap: all round  :P  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #72 on: June 25, 2023, 07:57:30 PM » Author: BT25
OK, you got me... :slap: :lol:

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #73 on: August 12, 2023, 10:43:28 AM » Author: Maxim
So, what's next for the lighting sector? Will manufacturing of lamps ever return to the US and UK, or are we now forever dependent on China...?

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: End of an era for Sylvania? « Reply #74 on: August 12, 2023, 02:09:25 PM » Author: Richmond2000
^^ sadly I doubt it as LOW profit margin manufacturing is NOT affordable in "developed" economies and LED lighting requires very little "specialized" manufacturing unlike HID lamps
can see LED CHIP production might come to the "west" with the Taiwan / China VS USA "issues" and "friendshoring" but I imagine some other likely Asian country will get MOST of the CONSUMER lamps with HIGHER margin "professional" lamps made locally for "buy XXX rules"
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies