Author Topic: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped  (Read 4870 times)
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #30 on: December 22, 2023, 07:53:59 PM » Author: High Intensity
I'm most likely going to make what will possibly work out to be a 12+ hour round trip with my father to save a few (possibly close to a dozen total) of these fixtures he has. Is it ambitious? Hell yeah, but I think it's worth it, at least. And they'd make a great Christmas gift to myself.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #31 on: December 22, 2023, 07:55:41 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Sometimes, having storage space issues and very little money to spare is an infuriating issue to some of us collectors.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #32 on: December 22, 2023, 08:28:29 PM » Author: High Intensity
I know both issues well, but thankfully, i was able to talk it over with both my parents and was able to get the green light with them.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #33 on: December 23, 2023, 12:58:33 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I'll be heading there too to save some lights. I might even make two trips. Space is an issue for me, but for these lights I'll make an exception for them.

@WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA - There's still a good amount of them on SDG&E power poles in various cities. You just have to look around. You'll see them. Even in cities that are already LED.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #34 on: December 23, 2023, 05:06:17 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I wonder if these are the only Spaulding Palomar SOX low pressure sodium lanterns left in existence in the San Diego Area.
There's still a few around. I know of some in La Jolla and a few Escondido missouts that are still up. There's still quite a few left on SDG&E poles like @fluorescent lover 40 said. But close to 20 years ago, nearly every surrounding town and city had them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 05:13:05 AM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #35 on: December 23, 2023, 02:42:43 PM » Author: AngryHorse
He's scrapping all of the ones in the video . As a part time scrapper myself , You'll make WAY more money by cutting as much wire from ballasts as possible as the wire is worth more per pound than the ballast itself . Years ago , I scrapped a bunch of old 4 lamp 4' troffers , the sockets and lenses went to the trash , the wires were all cut flush with the ballasts and put in one bun , the ballasts were put in a 2nd bin and the steel remains were just tossed in the back of my van .

IIRC , the seller was originally planning on scrapping these anyways . He only decided to sell them as he found he could make more in the long run with less work .  Now that he's in trouble with the gov't , they gotta go ! As he gets closer to his code enforcement deadline , he'll quit separating them out and just take them fully assembled to the scrapyard .

Failure to comply can result in hefty fines , possible jail time and even the forfiture of his property ! Plus , with the way he was being kinda confrontational with the code enforcement guy won't help his case . When I got nailed by code enforcement , I was REALLY nice and diplomatic with them ! I got them to give me a 60 day extension on my original 30 day deadline . When they came by and saw how much effort I was putting in and how much progress I made , they were more than willing to help me .

About 25 yeras ago , there was a guy nearby who had over 600 vintage muscle cars and Cadillacs on 10 acres of land . THe township was willing to work with him on a fair solution until he got stupid with them and told them " IT'S MY LAND , I'LL DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT !" The township then took him to court where the judge to him that the township was being more than fair and ordered the guy to comply with the township's initial suggestions. He then told the judge the same thing he initially told the township to which the judge than procededed to grant ownership of the land and cars to the township for disposal !
Wait?, so let me understand this?, in the so called ‘land of the free’ you can’t even have scrap outside, ON YOUR OWN LAND, without the threat of loosing that land???

That’s worse than European Union directives!  :o

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #36 on: December 23, 2023, 05:56:44 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'm glad to hear that the local collectors are trying to save those lights. Mine shipped out today, I think he got hammered with orders too once LG got word he was forced to scrap them.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #37 on: December 23, 2023, 06:59:44 PM » Author: lights*plus
Yes, at this juncture, putting a bit of effort by someone in L.A. or nearby to drive down and pick up as much as possible is the wisest and most profitable thing to do. You can always resell parts, whole fixtures, ballasts & lamps(?), to us here on LG or on eBay/Craigslist/Facebook.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #38 on: December 23, 2023, 07:09:14 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I'm glad to hear that the local collectors are trying to save those lights. Mine shipped out today, I think he got hammered with orders too once LG got word he was forced to scrap them.

That probably explains why mine has been taking such a long time to get shipped. So far 39 (90, 135, and 180w) in total have been sold on eBay.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #39 on: December 23, 2023, 08:19:43 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 @ AngryHorse :  Look at it this way  , would you want to live in an otherwise nice neighborhood , surrounded by equally nice houses and have one neighbor with his yard completely full of crap ?  I get why they do it . It's just the way they municpalities go about it that bothers me .  The guy in question has 1000's of streetlights stacked up like cord wood on his property . There's no way in hell he can clean that up in 30 days !  Back when I got nailed by the township , they initially gave ME 30 days . However , I was able to PEACEFULLY negotiate an extension with them after explaining to them that A) I have a full time job , B) it'll be basically just me doing the work , C) Some of what was outside was indeed good , valuable parts that just need to go inside . I also freely admitted that my yard did get WAY OUT OF CONTROL !!  In the end , my yard got a well needed cleaning and the township was happy .

Regardless of your particular situation  , you can't "pissy" with the enforcement people , you need to do your best to work with them as like it or not , they are just doing their job .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #40 on: December 23, 2023, 08:48:18 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think most municipalities here have similar rules against accumulating too much "junk" on your property including stuff such as scrap metal, old appliances, inoperable vehicles. My area has similar property standards by-laws.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #41 on: December 24, 2023, 01:11:30 AM » Author: lights*plus
I bet if the guy had a fantastic sized garage/building on his property, and stored all those lights inside, nicely stacked to the ceiling, away from prying eyes, he wouldn't need to go through this sort of cleanup. Watching his videos has made me sad.
Bottled lightning

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #42 on: December 24, 2023, 08:41:40 AM » Author: Bottled lightning
Aren't there a few more members in southern California?

I think this is his ebay page https://www.ebay.com/usr/francuacr75
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #43 on: December 24, 2023, 01:04:52 PM » Author: AngryHorse
@ AngryHorse :  Look at it this way  , would you want to live in an otherwise nice neighborhood , surrounded by equally nice houses and have one neighbor with his yard completely full of crap ?  I get why they do it . It's just the way they municpalities go about it that bothers me .  The guy in question has 1000's of streetlights stacked up like cord wood on his property . There's no way in hell he can clean that up in 30 days !  Back when I got nailed by the township , they initially gave ME 30 days . However , I was able to PEACEFULLY negotiate an extension with them after explaining to them that A) I have a full time job , B) it'll be basically just me doing the work , C) Some of what was outside was indeed good , valuable parts that just need to go inside . I also freely admitted that my yard did get WAY OUT OF CONTROL !!  In the end , my yard got a well needed cleaning and the township was happy .

Regardless of your particular situation  , you can't "pissy" with the enforcement people , you need to do your best to work with them as like it or not , they are just doing their job .
That’s a fair point, when I think of American homes I immediately think of the properties out in rural areas where people have 5 mile long driveways and their surrounded by tall trees, well hidden from the highway!  ::)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: LPS fixtures for sale cheap going to be scraped « Reply #44 on: December 24, 2023, 03:14:20 PM » Author: joseph_125
I guess the silver lining is that part of the LG community was able to find out that these were going to be scrapped instead of finding out after the fact so some of them could be saved and redistributed.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies