Author Topic: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures?  (Read 11921 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #30 on: April 09, 2023, 02:30:33 PM » Author: joseph_125
@Mandolin Girl  - Nice, I usually don't use the UV filters but they come in handy on days I plan to use my camera in messier environments as a good protection for the lens. A 600 shutter count is pretty good, basically brand new IMO. I'd get one of the lower cost prime lenses too. The EF-S 24mm was my favourite for handheld night shots as it still had a fairly wide field of view compared to the 40mm or the 50mm. All those 3 entry level prime lenses are pretty affordable used too.

@wide-lite 1000 - Ahh, I think 20 MP is a good pixel count, gives you room to crop if you don't have the framing dead on.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #31 on: April 09, 2023, 04:20:01 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@Joseph, my ex brother-in-law told me that getting a UV filter was the first thing I should do because if anything impacts the front of the camera, it's that that breaks not the expensive lens...  :curse:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #32 on: April 10, 2023, 07:49:37 AM » Author: Max
Why so angry? Adding a protective filter ("UV" or otherwise) is not a bad idea as long as it's of a decent quality. Beside the protection against accidental damages to the front lens element, this allows you to keep the lens clean, which is a prerequisite to taking clear shots (you can clean it without fearing scratching the lens itself).

Anyway, it's good to hear that you are finally using a proper camera. Canon has an app that you can use in order to learn how to use your EOS on the go (it's mentioned on Canon's product page). Also, if you bought the EF-S 18-55 kit lens only, then get a fast prime such as the nifty fifty (i.e., EF 50/1.8 ), this will improve your photography considerably if you learn how to use it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 07:51:39 AM by Max » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #33 on: April 10, 2023, 07:56:22 AM » Author: dor123
I'm currently uses Canon SX730HS compact camera.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #34 on: April 10, 2023, 08:46:14 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Max, I'm not angry as such, it's just the thought of not spending a few quid on a filter, (The filters I bought are made by Hoya) seems daft as it would avoid damaging what would be a far more expensive lens.   :'(
As for using the 'app', that requires having a smart phone which neither Rommie or myself use. We're old school and have these. :cat:
I'll look into getting the other lens at some point in the future, for now I'm getting to grips with how the camera works.  8)

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #35 on: April 10, 2023, 09:22:33 AM » Author: Max
That's not too bad, Hoya makes good filters. You can see this purchase as an insurance for your lenses... you never know what can happen. This saved two of my lenses in the past, and the cost benefit is really great in that case, especially with vintage lenses that you can't send out for repair.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #36 on: April 10, 2023, 11:27:14 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Max, just a thought, it's going to take me a while to get good results from this camera, you on the other hand could get excellent results from a Box Brownie camera.! 8)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #37 on: April 10, 2023, 11:42:58 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah the Canon nifty fifty (EF 50mmm f1.8 STM) is a good fast prime and can be had for quite cheap compared to other Canon lenses. Plus it can also be used for 35mm if you pick up a low cost EOS 35mm body. Not sure if prices went up but a couple of years ago I found one for $10.

I found the UI and menu on the Canon EOS cameras to be pretty intuitive, especially for those that already know the basics of photography from other cameras. I suppose there is a learning curve from someone used to more automatic cameras such as phone cameras but even the point and shoot mode on the Canons give decent results.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #38 on: April 10, 2023, 11:45:35 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
That's what I'm finding, and being able to select manual focus is a blessing when trying to get an in focus shot of an etch.  :bulbman:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #39 on: April 10, 2023, 11:51:33 AM » Author: Rommie
I grew up with 35mm, my dad was a keen amateur and had his own darkroom, I spent ages in there making prints and stuff. I still have my old Pentax MX camera, one of the last if not the last fully mechanical cameras to be made, if I recall correctly.

Not used it for a long time though, must see about getting some film and having a play.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #40 on: April 10, 2023, 01:57:56 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Joseph, the last time I used an SLR camera it was a 35mm job, and it didn't have menus.!  ???

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #41 on: April 10, 2023, 02:07:17 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those mechanical 35mm SLR cameras like the one in your picture but they're quite expensive here and the thrift stores seem to be pretty picked over for that kind of stuff. As a stop gap, my 35mm camera is a Canon EOS which is still fairly affordable, especially if you already have some Canon EF lenses. It has a point and shoot mode but still has a fully manual mode, including manual focus but all the camera functions (aperture, shutter, film advance/rewind) are electro-mechanical.

Would love to try my hand at developing my own 35mm pictures and making proper prints through an enlarger but I don't have any of the equipment for that or access to a darkroom. 
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #42 on: April 14, 2023, 12:04:07 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yeah the Canon nifty fifty (EF 50mmm f1.8 STM) is a good fast prime and can be had for quite cheap compared to other Canon lenses. Plus it can also be used for 35mm if you pick up a low cost EOS 35mm body. Not sure if prices went up but a couple of years ago I found one for $10.
I've just bought a second hand one from the same place as I got the camera, for just under eighty five quid, so yes the prices have gone up..!  :poof:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #43 on: April 14, 2023, 03:02:50 PM » Author: Molly
I use the Panasonic DC-FZ80 that I got as a birthday present last year. It's a high-quality camera and worth the price. Here's some information about the camera here.

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of camera(s) do you use for your lighting-pictures? « Reply #44 on: April 15, 2023, 07:52:55 AM » Author: Max
I've just bought a second hand one from the same place as I got the camera, for just under eighty five quid, so yes the prices have gone up..!  :poof:

Good for you, Sammi. On your EOS 4000D the EF 50/1.8 will give you the field of view and the depth of field of an equivalent 80 mm f/2.88 lens, which is great to isolate your subjects while keeping your ISO level low for optimum image quality. Please take some time to learn how to use fast primes and you'll be very happy with the results you'll get with your nifty fifty. Unlike what camera companies's marketing would like you to believe, the camera does not make you an artist or a professional from day one, it's just a tool and it takes time and effort to produce good photography.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies