Author Topic: what car do you drive?  (Read 38436 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #150 on: June 19, 2023, 11:16:41 PM » Author: Bulbman256
The odyssey has the same 3.5L V6 as the accords, which explains the reliably of them. If you do want a good Hondacura Get an Acura TSX, they’re good on gas being 4 cylinders and they are basically a rebadged European accord which is a bit smaller. Unlike the American accords they also have a wagon variant. Just make sure to find one that was well taken care of. 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #151 on: June 20, 2023, 08:53:12 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Not driving "on the road" yet but I have a 1991 Explorer that is going to be a flatbed and also a 2001 Chevy Express.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #152 on: June 20, 2023, 09:01:29 AM » Author: Rommie
As per my gallery post, we've just bought a Buick Encore, which is rather unusual for the UK, but I like to be different..! The equivalent here is a Vauxhall Mokka. It only had 31,500 miles on it when we picked it up, not bad for a 2014 model.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #153 on: June 20, 2023, 10:07:47 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
@suzukir122 - A legendary Toyota Corolla would be good. Those are as bulletproof as can be. Or if you want something a little more sporty looking and don't really care about backseat passengers, a Scion tC is a good choice. Don't know what your budget is limited to, but I looked around in your area and found a good deal on a 2005 Corolla. I did also find a 2011 Scion xB if you're wanting a more practical vehicle.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 10:09:59 PM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #154 on: June 20, 2023, 10:15:31 PM » Author: suzukir122
@LightsoftheWest, I've already got my two sporty vehicles, so the next car (which will be the car I drive the most, out of state, etc) will be
a plain, generic, not so fast kind of car. You bring up the Corolla... I forgot about that car. The Corolla and the Accord both have my highest
interest right now in terms of reliability. Maybe one of those will be my next car.
Regardless, I'll be sure to post a pic of it on this thread, once I purchase my next car. I'll also post a pic of my Hyundai as well.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #155 on: June 20, 2023, 11:38:44 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah the Toyota Corollas are pretty bulletproof and easy to maintain. It seems the thing that really does them in is rust, a shame for those of us living in places that use a lot of salt in the winter such as Ontario, or Ohio I suppose. I suppose they're a bit boring to drive compared to "sportier" vehicles but for a daily, it's a pretty good choice. 2003 to 2008 used pretty much the same body with only minor differences BTW. You could also look into getting a Matrix if you want something similar to a Corolla but with a hatchback instead. The hatchback version was later renamed the Corolla iM and the Corolla hatchback in newer models. It's still relatively small compared to a SUV.

An Accord is a pretty good choice too if you're looking for a larger sedan compared to a Corolla.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #156 on: June 20, 2023, 11:51:49 PM » Author: suzukir122
That's info I didn't know, @Joseph_125. I didn't know the accord was larger than the corolla. The smaller the vehicle, the better. lol
And yep, Ohio becomes salt city during the winter time. Salt everywhere, which means my sport car will be inside of my MH lit garage all
winter time, for the most part.
A vehicle that is boring to drive is what I'm hoping for, as long as it can drive, of course.
But yep, once I purchase the next vehicle, I'll be back on this thread to upload a pic of both cars that I own, with the next car included.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #157 on: June 20, 2023, 11:57:18 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah the Accord is a mid-size sedan, which puts it in the same category as the Toyota Camry. The Honda equivalent for the Corolla would be the Civic. I suppose you could go smaller like the Toyota Yaris or the Honda Fit but you might find those to be too small. I suppose a test drive couldn't hurt. Toyota also has a "sportier" version of the Corolla Hatchback called the Corolla GR but it's quite a bit more and is manual only for the time being so that's probably not what you're looking for.

Good call keeping your sports car out of the winter salt and slush, that stuff is nasty to vehicles. I sometimes envy the people that live in places where the winters are milder and dryer with little to no salt. Their vehicles just seem to last a lot longer. 
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #158 on: June 21, 2023, 12:53:01 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
The two Scion models I mentioned previously aren't fast and sporty. In fact, they have the same two engine options available in the Corolla (1ZZ/2ZR 1.8L 4-cylinder and (2AZ/2AR 2.4/2.5L 4-cylinder). No difference mechanically; they just look different. I would recommend either of those if you want something slightly more obscure than just a boring, everyday Corolla.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

CooperOVZ

View Posts
View Gallery

OVZ

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #159 on: June 21, 2023, 10:39:49 AM » Author: CooperOVZ
Yeah the Toyota Corollas are pretty bulletproof and easy to maintain. It seems the thing that really does them in is rust, a shame for those of us living in places that use a lot of salt in the winter such as Ontario, or Ohio I suppose. I suppose they're a bit boring to drive compared to "sportier" vehicles but for a daily, it's a pretty good choice. 2003 to 2008 used pretty much the same body with only minor differences BTW. You could also look into getting a Matrix if you want something similar to a Corolla but with a hatchback instead. The hatchback version was later renamed the Corolla iM and the Corolla hatchback in newer models. It's still relatively small compared to a SUV.

An Accord is a pretty good choice too if you're looking for a larger sedan compared to a Corolla.

In general, Honda Accord cars are quite attractive, dependable, and fairly fuel-efficient. Toyota Camry models from 2012 and on average more than 40 MPG (2.5L 4 Cylinder Engine) provided you don't drive like a lunatic on the road, making them the superior option if you're searching for dependability and fuel efficiency. In general, Honda Accords are sportier and more aggressive than Toyota Camrys. Both the Camry and the Accord have a V6 engine option, and both vehicles have a 0–100 KM/H time of 5.9–6.1 seconds. Although the Camry V6 gets better gas efficiency than the Accord V6, the Accord has a nicer interior since Toyota used a lot more plastic in those days.

Greetings, I'm CooperOVZ. My actual name is Kabir. Since I was nine years old, I have had a broad interest in lighting.

CooperOVZ

View Posts
View Gallery

OVZ

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #160 on: June 21, 2023, 10:47:06 AM » Author: CooperOVZ
1999 Toyota Corolla VE, ~320K km on it. 4 cyl, 4 speed auto. Still fairly reliable and very easy to work on but I use it for mostly trips around the city. I get around 9.5L/100km or 25 MPG, decent for a older vehicle I guess.

Those cars are pretty amazing. Prior to the makeover, my dad used to own one of them. LE 2001 Corolla. Beware of the Corolla's engine; it was quite dependable and economical on gasoline. It features a 1ZZ-FE engine that likes burning a lot of oil. That Corolla's body rusts a lot, as well. If you don't maintain and care for it well, it won't pass the emissions test. Aside from those problems, these engines are dependable and simple to maintain. If you keep on adding oil in the engine it will still run forever and ever. 2003 onwards corolla's don't have those issues and are gems.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 10:51:23 AM by CooperOVZ » Logged

Greetings, I'm CooperOVZ. My actual name is Kabir. Since I was nine years old, I have had a broad interest in lighting.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #161 on: June 21, 2023, 10:56:33 AM » Author: Rommie
I get around 9.5L/100km or 25 MPG, decent for a older vehicle I guess.
I thought I was slowly getting used to people using metric measurements, but then l/100km reared its head. However much I do or don't learn metric measurements, that one is something I will never, ever be able to get my head around..! Miles per gallon (and imperial gallons at that) is hard wired into my brain, even though fuel is sold in [insert expletive of choice] litres here  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CooperOVZ

View Posts
View Gallery

OVZ

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #162 on: June 21, 2023, 10:59:41 AM » Author: CooperOVZ
Yeah I'm hoping my next vehicle, which would be my daily driving car, is something like that. Smaller and more compact, automatic, reliable and easy
to work on anytime. I think I'd rather go 4 cylinder as well, mainly because of the higher MPG numbers.

Choose a 2003 or later Corolla as they have high fuel efficiency. The Toyota Corolla from 2014 to 2015 and the Corolla from 2009 to 2013 are the most fuel-efficient models. They achieve at least 25 MPG in the city and 45 MPG or more on the highway. Those are really trustworthy years. However, because so much plastic was utilized in the interior building of the 2009–2013 Corolla, it has a more shoddy and antiquated appearance.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #163 on: June 21, 2023, 09:26:45 PM » Author: sol
Yes, I still have my 2004 Corolla. I need a new exhaust system (for the second time) but considering the reliability and the relatively low maintenance bills (other than oil changes, which are normal and expected), it continues to serve me well. I'm hoping for at least a couple more years.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #164 on: June 22, 2023, 02:52:11 PM » Author: joseph_125
@CooperOVZ - Yeah the general consensus, at least for the vehicles in the 2003-2010 range was that the Toyotas were more boring to drive while the Hondas felt sportier. However either brand produced good vehicles during that era so you can't go wrong getting one in good condition for a winter/daily car. Unfortunately rust does seem to be an issue with older vehicles, I suppose if you're lucky you might find one that got frequently rustproofed over the years but expect to pay more for one. I suppose some extra rustproofing after you get it wouldn't be too bad of an idea either. Yeah the '99 to '02 Corollas had a nasty habit of consuming oil. I got the oil consumption on mine down a bit after I replaced the valve cover gasket a couple of years ago.

@Rommie - Yeah the L/100km is a pretty strange choice of measurement for fuel efficiency but it seems to be the standard measurement of that used in Canada for some reason. I personally think km/L would be more intuitive compared to L/100km since it's a more closer measurement to the traditional MPG.   
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies