Author Topic: Are sox still popular in the uk?  (Read 4630 times)
light finatic
Are sox still popular in the uk? « on: February 19, 2016, 01:10:32 AM » Author: light finatic
Due to all of the street lighting replacements in the uk, the number of sox lanterns is decreasing. I will be moving back to the uk from America in 5 years and wondering if there will still be some sox and older lanterns or will I be greeted to a bunch of LED junk?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:05:23 AM » Author: wattMaster
Due to all of the street lighting replacements in the uk, the number of sox lanterns is decreasing. I will be moving back to the uk from America in 5 years and wondering if there will still be some sox and older lanterns or will I be greeted to a bunch of LED junk?
You better watch out, The LEDs are coming...

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:00:16 PM » Author: lights*plus
Guessing - Probably a great mix of lamp-types right now, just like in many affluent N. American towns. You should find however a great deal more SOX than in N. America. But in 5 years?..
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:47:24 PM » Author: wattMaster
In 5 years I think the only SOX that will remain will be "forgotten" side streets that have escaped PFIs and casual replacements. Five years ago SOX was in some cases still relamped or regularly installed - which is rare nowadays as lots of things are being directly replaced with Cosmo or LED. If what's happened in the last five years is indicative of the next, SOX will disappear rather quickly.

Motorway SOX is already about dead and main road SOX is starting to go in larger quantities. In 5-10 years I suspect SOX will go down the route of being like Mercury is now - very rare to find anything more than a single abandoned installation.
In Belgium, SOX lamps are the sole lighting on the highways, And almost all standard street lighting (That I can remember  ;)) is also SOX. Shows no sign of leaving. In Orlando, Almost all street lights (Except highways, Which is mostly HPS.) use the ugly High-Glare-And-Cool-White combo, With HPS being a rare survivor. At a local church, The street beside it (Which is not church property) has a lonely Coated MV lamp that buzzes really loudly. Near my neighborhood, There is also another abandoned lamp, But I don't know what it is, Because I have not been there at night.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 04:46:48 AM » Author: lights*plus
Bumping this (saved) thread as I need to get an update on SOX in the UK.

Are they gone or still hanging on? Which cities/towns or what areas/sectors are still lit with SOX?
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 06:25:29 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Well as an example, our town was 100% SOX in November 2017, then in just 3 months we went from that to 100% LED with even the original concrete columns going with them, along with all HPS installations too, I don’t ever remember Cheshire Highways doing street lighting changeovers so fast!!
Neighbouring towns run by Weaver Vale, (previously Vale Royal), however, are still HPS lit, with SOX mixed in, but the side roads are now being converted from Beta 5s to Lena Lightings LED based ‘Rubycon’.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 10:29:44 AM » Author: Rommie
None around here, unfortunately. There are a couple of Philips MI80 55W ones on the side of an office building about 200 yards away from here, but they appear to be defunct, I've never seen them lit in the 4 years I've been here, anyway. Perhaps I should make enquiries about acquiring them  ;D

There were also some Thorn Alpha 9 remote ballasted 90W ones on an industrial estate a few miles away, but we've not been that way for a couple of years, so they may not be there any more, we'll have to go and have a look.

None anywhere else in the area that I'm aware of :'(
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:49:21 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 03:46:30 PM » Author: lights*plus
Stunning.  :o I'd have thought there would be much more left.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 02:46:26 AM » Author: AngryHorse
The fact also that Philips have decided to stop making them next month speaks for itself in a way, I don’t know about the rest of the UK, but they must be disappearing from service at such a rate this decision has had to be made??

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 02:37:56 PM » Author: Rommie
The fact also that Philips have decided to stop making them next month speaks for itself in a way, I don’t know about the rest of the UK, but they must be disappearing from service at such a rate this decision has had to be made??
From the notice they issued at the time of announcement of closure (which was going to be 2020, I suppose the orders fell off earlier than anticipated) it seems to me that they're encouraging everybody to move over to LED's  :-\  :'(

We were hoping to arrange a site visit before the dreaded date, but it's unlikely that will happen now  :(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 10:56:15 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Whatever happens out in the 'wild' as it were, SOX will always have a place in our hearts, and in the corner of the living room.  8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

MikeBond

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 04:53:26 PM » Author: MikeBond
SOX now very rare. Almost a surprise to come across it.
My own village ostracised it on the main road about 3 years ago. There is only 1 left that I know of (a 35W in a side street).
Some knackered 180W left on bits of the A46 around Coventry... poorly maintained (can't get lamps?) and bound to be next for LED.
Museum pieces now - and I have many  ;D
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 04:58:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Nice to see you here Mike, there's not many of us from this side of the Pond.

SOX is becoming a rare beast, and it's up to us to preserve as much as possible.

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 11:56:04 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
They are still surviving as motorway lighting round London.  8)

We came down the M40 to join the M25 and there were miles of 180W fixtures.!! ;D

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are sox still popular in the uk? « Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 12:00:52 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
They are still surviving as motorway lighting round London.  8)

We came down the M40 to join the M25 and there were miles of 180W fixtures.!! ;D

That's awesome. If only I could go to London so I could see them.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies