Author Topic: Lighting powered by an inverter  (Read 20524 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #45 on: June 02, 2020, 09:27:19 AM » Author: wattMaster
That inverter will work, but you'd want to make sure that it doesn't overheat.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #46 on: June 02, 2020, 09:30:02 AM » Author: Rommie
Thanks, it's got a fan and it should be ok for 100W lamps etc. as it's rated at 400W continuous load, so I think it's worth going for.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #47 on: June 02, 2020, 05:44:02 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Resurrecting this topic as I have a question.

Here in the UK we have a 230/240V supply at 50Hz, whereas of course the US uses 120V at 60Hz. Running magnetic ballasts designed for 60Hz at 50Hz is problematic, so after I saw a Youtube video the other day where a guy used a 12VDC to 120V 60Hz inverter (fed from a UK 12V power supply rather than a battery) to power some old American electronic equipment, I was wondering if I could do the same to power US discharge lamps with the correct ballasts instead of trying to find an equivalent, which for some lamps is not easy if possible at all.

This is the inverter the guy in the video used, it's pure sine wave output so I think it should be ok..? It's rated at 400W so ought to be enough for the 100W or so lamps I want to use..? The power supply I intend to use to feed it is this one which is rated at 32A continuous load at 12V.

Anyone got any opinions..? Will this work, I need to know before I shell out for the inverter, as it's not cheap when you add shipping..!

Are you a techmoan fan?

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #48 on: June 02, 2020, 05:47:11 PM » Author: Rommie
Are you a techmoan fan?
You've seen it too, then..?! Yes I think he's brilliant  :D

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #49 on: June 03, 2020, 09:33:17 AM » Author: Bulbman256
You've seen it too, then..?! Yes I think he's brilliant  :D

Yes he's pretty cool to watch with all of the weird adn intersting audio and video formats he covers.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #50 on: June 03, 2020, 11:25:52 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Techmoan fan here too

Administrator #5

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #51 on: June 03, 2020, 12:31:17 PM » Author: Binarix128
I also watch some of his videos, specially the reel to reel and cassette videos, and of course I also watch Tecnology Connections, ElectroBoom, 8 bit guy...  :)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #52 on: June 03, 2020, 01:39:43 PM » Author: Rommie
I rather like some of the videos from CJR Electrical and David Savery Electrical, as I'm very interested in electrical wiring practice. I almost became an electrician in my younger days, but things went a different way, so it's interesting to see how things have changed. There are an awful lot more tests and regulations than there used to be, I know that..!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #53 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:10 PM » Author: Binarix128
@sox35 I liked the electricity and wiring from a kid, playing making circuits with incandescent chistmas lights and batteries. But I don't look this more like a future proffesion to me, I like it more like a hobby, for example mount my own wiring at a future house.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:35:25 PM by Binarix128 » Logged
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #54 on: June 03, 2020, 02:34:12 PM » Author: Binarix128
...There are an awful lot more tests and regulations than there used to be, I know that..!
I wonder how in the knob and tube era the test was.  :wndr:
I think you has only need to know where place a knob, where place a tube and wich is neutral and which the phase.  ::)

Aside, in Chilean countriside who cares about electricity regulations.  ::)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lighting powered by an inverter « Reply #55 on: June 12, 2020, 11:08:02 AM » Author: Rommie
Those APC Smart-UPS 1500VA offer a sine wave output, which is a stepped approximation of a sine wave
Hmmm. My APC Smart-UPS 1500VA is definitely pure sine wave. So is the Wagan inverter I've just ordered, so hopefully I should be ok.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies