Author Topic: Oddly satisfying things  (Read 65383 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #135 on: February 02, 2018, 06:35:28 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: ace100w120v
It's funny you guys mention lumber, because I also love the "newly built house" type smell...
Probably can't do this anymore, but years ago it was always neat to 'sneak in' and walk through partially built houses (not truly sneaking, since they were wide open & no signs saying you couldn't). There's just something cool & satisfying to the mind about wandering around, seeing/smelling unfinished house :) (although at the same time you also see all the crappy little things they do)

OSB is even more odorous than plywood but I think that's the glue.   
I also heard that OSB is made from Aspen Trees, so that may be part of what gives it its unique smell.
...oh and thinking of Aspen Trees...that makes good firewood, & has a nice smell when it burns.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #136 on: February 02, 2018, 06:37:37 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Probably can't do this anymore, but years ago it was always neat to 'sneak in' and walk through partially built houses (not truly sneaking, since they were wide open & no signs saying you couldn't). There's just something cool & satisfying to the mind about wandering around, seeing/smelling unfinished house :) (although at the same time you also see all the crappy little things they do)

I also heard that OSB is made from Aspen Trees, so that may be part of what gives it its unique smell.
...oh and thinking of Aspen Trees...that makes good firewood, & has a nice smell when it burns.
Yes Aspen trees smell good when burnt in fact it's the only smell of burnt wood that my gf likes

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #137 on: February 03, 2018, 10:30:31 PM » Author: 589
- a running SOX lamp
- a running light rig that I just got or put together
- the smell of coffee
- a job well done
- a crackling fire in the fireplace on a cold day
- the smell of fall
- the smell of spring
- the smell of a camp fire
- properly managed wiring, cables, or piping
- spec'ing and building a powerful PC for someone
- felling trees and bucking them with my chainsaw(s)
- cutting with a chainsaw that has a freshly sharpened chain
- Success at something that I was told was impossible or unlikely
- buttons with a nice tactile and audible click
- leaving something/someone in better shape than I found it/them
- fixing up and using something someone else threw in the trash
- taco bell
- little caesars pizza
- getting good gas mileage from my motorcycle or car
- getting a good deal on something at the Re-store
- The sound of nature at various times of the year/day
- Singing birds
- waffle house between 2am-6am

edit:
- walking into a warm transformer room in a cold building, warming up in there while hearing the wonderful 60hz hum
- the gentle 60hz hum of a ballast on a running lamp
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:36:30 PM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #138 on: February 04, 2018, 01:09:16 AM » Author: tolivac
Transformer rooms-have those here at the transmitter site.Besides 60Hz hum the transmitter modulation transformers have program audio on therm-125Kw worth!For sawing and wood-like the wood smell,too.I like cordless chainsaws-LESS noise-you here the actual "sawing" as the chain cuts thru the wood.My 315W CMH lamps-love their warm color.Using my VitaMix blenders-ha ve a collection of them-for my smoothies and shakes.With these can mix ACTUAL fruits and such-even frozen that would burn out other blenders.
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #139 on: February 04, 2018, 08:23:20 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Watching a Fluorescent light turn off or on (lets say the tube turns on at one end and smoothly makes it to the other and when it turns off the same process happens but in reverse and with an afterglow)

Hearing the starter ping in a blink happy fluorescent light

When my gf glides my hand through my hair for comfort and the same goes when I do it to her

The continuous hum of a magnetic ballast

The smell of static (ozone and don't ask)

Wearing baggy clothing

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #140 on: February 06, 2018, 11:02:34 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
polishing up things (lightbulbs, reflectors, refractors, metals, etc.

Compacting snow down as far as humanly possible...

Turning on all my lights without tripping the breaker...

the hum of a healthy ballast..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #141 on: February 07, 2018, 06:45:39 AM » Author: suzukir122
@589, what motorcycle do you ride? Not sure how much gas mileage mine takes but I will be
doing research on it much more this year.

Some more of my oddly satisfying things:

- Driving my car after filling it up with gas
- The crackling sound my bike makes while I'm downshifting
- Tingling/painful feeling I get after weightlifting
- A good stretch after sleeping
- Overtaking someone going much slower than posted speed-limit
- Laughing at a good joke. Anyone got any?

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #142 on: February 07, 2018, 10:18:48 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
The breaker one for me LOL

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #143 on: February 07, 2018, 10:25:56 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Shoving a polarized plug in the wrong way
Grabbing a grounded female and male extension cord and plugging it in by slamming them together
Plugging in a USB, HDMI, or RCA cables the right way the first time
The warmth of a wire when 66 amps travels through it
Extension cords in general
Perfect general lighting with any source
When technology works correctly

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #144 on: February 08, 2018, 09:35:10 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Flipping the right light switch on a 7 light switch set

Putting in batteries in correctly without looking for polarization

Not seeing one dead light in a X-mas light strand

Dropping a cfl or fluorescent light over 3 feet on concrete and nothing happens to the light this goes for any light source

Adrenaline rushes

Burning something under a 100x magnification lens

Walking down every hallway in school during passing period (8 minuets)

When fluorescent lights have perfect black ends (form end cap to the filament or over)

Instantly falling asleep

Skiing on the slope at Xgames Aspen with gf at night then laying down on snow looking at the night sky

Running up and down Red Rocks Amphitheater with gf

Drilling a screw out

Perfect breaks in glass

My high metabolism

Finding a down streetlight

Aspen Colorado and Iceland are just majestic places

My gf is bilingual with English and Icelandic and I love the Icelandic way she speaks I know some Icelandic myself

Knowing that in Aspen Co doesn’t get hot

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #145 on: February 08, 2018, 10:08:07 AM » Author: suzukir122
I think the dropping a cfl or fluorescent light one is something I personally can relate to. I've done
that myself when I was a kid, shopping with my mom at Walmart, back when they had slimlines in use
in every one of their fixtures.
I wasn't with my mom at the time, and I wandered off into the light bulb section and saw a whole bunch
of F15t8 GE lamps on a shelf. (Many F40t12 lamps as well) I grabbed an F15t8 lamp, and it slipped right
out of its box sleeve and SMACKED on the floor. All you could hear was "CLANG, CLANGA CLANG CLANG KA-CLANG!" I sat
there for a second thinking to myself, "Bruh, I might have to run if this just broke." Then I picked up the lamp
and noticed it was perfectly fine... somehow. I put it back into it's box sleeve very slowly, placed it back on
the shelf, put my hands in my pockets, quickly turned the other direction, and just walked away.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #146 on: February 08, 2018, 08:10:05 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: F96T12 DD VHO
Not seeing one dead light in a X-mas light strand
That one I'll agree with...especially considering the fact I have hundreds of sets

Instantly falling asleep
Oh how I wish I could do that..

Running up and down Red Rocks Amphitheater with gf 
there was a time I could sorta do that...but not the stairs, on the seating part - those were spaced just perfectly to go from one to the next in a single step
These days being the worn-out old guy that I am, its a matter of slowly hobbleing up the stairs..

Knowing that in Aspen Co doesn’t get hot 
That being a reason I could never live in aspen .LOL. just gotta love a nice hot summer day

Quote from: HomeBrewLamps
Turning on all my lights without tripping the breaker...
Yes that .. but anymore I check things to make sure I'm not overloading first
(always nice when my guesstimates turn out good when comparing to the meter)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #147 on: February 09, 2018, 07:23:05 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
A nice thunderstorm where thunder vibrates your house

Nice, sunny days

Having a sleep in on a weekend

Using the air conditioner when its very hot.

When you use a headlight restoration kit to good results. You actually see the yellowing run off the headlight when you use fine grit sandpaper and lubricant with the kit, that itself was very satisfying to watch! (See attached picture for end result; this headlight was so yellowed you couldn't see the reflectors or bulb)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #148 on: February 09, 2018, 10:13:44 PM » Author: CEB1993
A nice thunderstorm where thunder vibrates your house

Nice, sunny days

Having a sleep in on a weekend

Using the air conditioner when its very hot.

When you use a headlight restoration kit to good results. You actually see the yellowing run off the headlight when you use fine grit sandpaper and lubricant with the kit, that itself was very satisfying to watch! (See attached picture for end result; this headlight was so yellowed you couldn't see the reflectors or bulb)

I'm right there with you with everything on that post, David  :)  Check out my new Philips X-Tremevisions in my VW Jetta.  Driving with brand new halogen headlight bulbs that haven't dimmed or burnt out is just awesome!  8)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Oddly satisfying things « Reply #149 on: February 09, 2018, 10:36:49 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Halogen headlights can dim out??

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies