Author Topic: Package Thieves  (Read 5125 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 03:50:07 PM » Author: wattMaster
Your choice. Based also on the type of thieves over there

For example if it is some stupid kids, best would be to let them steal not knowing that there is camera, then go with the footage to their parents. This would hopefully give them a good shake down, and stop them from stealing. Hopefully before they get caught by somebody else who would call the cops and not their parents
That's a good idea. But I don't know of any kids like that around here.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 04:18:54 PM » Author: Ash
Have packages been stolen from you in the past ?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 05:25:33 PM » Author: wattMaster
Have packages been stolen from you in the past ?
No, but I have always been afraid of it.
The motivation for a camera and careful monitoring came when one of our monthly snack boxes didn't arrive, and we heard a sound like the mail was coming, but nobody was there.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:29:03 PM by wattMaster » Logged

Aveoguy22
Re: Package Thieves « Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 09:30:29 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
usually if i'm expecting a package i stay home if possible.  got one coming tomorrow and ill be waiting for it.  its not so much of a problem out in a rural area where i live.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 09:47:44 PM » Author: wattMaster
usually if i'm expecting a package i stay home if possible.  got one coming tomorrow and ill be waiting for it.  its not so much of a problem out in a rural area where i live.
I would expect more package thieves in rural areas.

Aveoguy22
Re: Package Thieves « Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 04:16:31 AM » Author: Aveoguy22
I would expect more package thieves in rural areas.
no not really.  in town you have people driving slowly by with more time to see stuff in front steps.  also in town you got people on the sidewalk
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 09:20:15 AM » Author: wattMaster
Now I understand.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 06:26:42 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Time to revive old topics again.

This is an issue in my area but has not happened to me specifically. I pay close attention to my tracking numbers and I make sure Im home and monitoring the door. I move any appointments and delay my errands to accommodate or I'll have someone watch for it on my behalf. I've recently installed a cheap camera that watches the front yard so I can see exactly when the delivery van or any door knockers are around without having to physically be watching the front window.

I think someday I'm going to build a special heavy duty locker for the front yard where the delivery personnel can place the item inside and set the door knob to lock and then close it, then later when I check I can unlock it with key.

Administrator #5

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Package Thieves « Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 07:50:21 PM » Author: Lumex120

I think someday I'm going to build a special heavy duty locker for the front yard where the delivery personnel can place the item inside and set the door knob to lock and then close it, then later when I check I can unlock it with key.
That's actually a really good idea...

Unofficial LG Discord

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 08:07:36 PM » Author: sol

Actually, such a product is available commercially. I believe it is rather expensive, and made of steel. When you expect a package, you "prime" the lock with the key, and the door can be opened without the key. When it closes, the lock automatically engages and you need the key to open it again.

There are also products that function like a large mail chute with door (similar to the ones on the exterior walls of post offices, with a hopper door). There is a locked door in the catchment container.

If you build something, keep in mind that delivery personnel don't always have time to read complex instructions or fiddle with locks more than necessary.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 10:28:30 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Ill use those normal doorhandle kits that has a key on one side and the turning lock switch on the other. The door will be unlocked so postman can just open it and stick item inside, then turn the lock on the knob and close the door. The door would feature a post icon and simple instructions that is only a couple words. Open, place, lock, close.

Ill make it with good materials and it can look like a tiny shed. Parcel thieves usually dont want to be noticed or spend much time so the chance of them busting it with a crowbar is slim

Administrator #5

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 04:45:49 AM » Author: Medved
I would guess better idea would be to use the commercial product, or at least make your mechanism looking and behaving exactly as the commercial ones do.
The reason is just the fact it will be for the delivery guy exactly the same as all others he met elsewhere, so he will first identify it and then use it correctly.
If you will have some oddball mechanism, the chance, it wont be used correctly or the delivery guy just would not want to mess with some unknown contraption at all and place the package on the open ground, becomes pretty high, so all the thing useless.

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 11:19:06 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Honestly if they can operate a standard bathroom door lock at home then im sure they can do the same for my box. I wouldn't spend a fortune on something i could build myself all because the town fools have an addiction to fund

But its just an idea id try but usually i go to great lengths to be home and monitoring so no issues yet. I think i can also request mail holding if im away
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:21:31 AM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 11:31:36 AM » Author: Rommie
Here, we don't have the problem of deliveries being left outside. If the postman or courier can't deliver it personally (if we're out) then standard practice is to leave a card so we can arrange a redelivery. Where possible we always ask for delivery with a signature required, so they can't just leave it even if they wanted to. If we know our neighbour is going to be in, we can ask for it to be left there, but that's only ever been necessary once.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Package Thieves « Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 12:38:53 PM » Author: Ash
I would guess better idea would be to use the commercial product, or at least make your mechanism looking and behaving exactly as the commercial ones do.
The reason is just the fact it will be for the delivery guy exactly the same as all others he met elsewhere, so he will first identify it and then use it correctly.
If you will have some oddball mechanism, the chance, it wont be used correctly or the delivery guy just would not want to mess with some unknown contraption at all and place the package on the open ground, becomes pretty high, so all the thing useless.

Wont "Please deliver packages here and close the door" sign suffice ?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies