Author Topic: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people?  (Read 15384 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #45 on: January 30, 2020, 06:57:37 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
When we get all of the SOX wattages fired up at once, we won't be able to hide it from anybody in the street.!!  :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #46 on: January 30, 2020, 06:58:26 PM » Author: Rommie
Watch this space  :D 8)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #47 on: January 31, 2020, 02:46:43 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Funny story from my days living at home, oddly enough mum and dad didn’t mind me running, (among others) a 22000 lumen 135watt SOX in my bedroom!! ::), they called me a ‘nutty professor’ who locked himself away in his -lab-!, but I started to get a reputation from the neighbouring houses behind us.......
At the time mum worked behind the bar at the local sports and social club, and people who lived in these houses were always asking her, “what exactly is going on in your lads room at night”!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #48 on: February 16, 2020, 06:26:29 AM » Author: LightsDelight
I sort of hide it as in I don't really tell people about it but if you went to my house you'd find out. I don't mention it to my mates at school as I am in year 10 (15-16yo) and people that age are brutal so I just hide it to fit in. They aren't really my mates although one or two are. My real mates know about it tho as they are all people I met on a lighting page :)

Keep discharge lighting alive

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #49 on: February 16, 2020, 07:30:48 AM » Author: suzukir122
If you're only 16 years old @LightsDelight, the good news is that as time goes on, you will quickly see that
they will begin to become mature. *Normally* this is the case lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

A2ZAlarms

View Posts
View Gallery

UCn-UWLJRLZh8NA46vkc1jSQ A2Z Alarms
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #50 on: March 06, 2020, 09:24:18 PM » Author: A2ZAlarms
Everything is in service in the barn. Most shop lights are on chains above workbenches and most ceiling lights are recessed pl-l parabolic fixtures. There are also random louvred and half pipe fixtures.

If people don’t like fluorescent and  HPS lighting they can leave, door is down the main hallway and to the right. It’s a free country.

I don't dislike High quality led lamps, but vintage usually wins.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #51 on: March 07, 2020, 01:28:14 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I honestly don't care. I've brought lights to school before. I'm known as the light guy at my school.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #52 on: March 07, 2020, 08:02:42 AM » Author: Cole D.
One of my friends, knows about it, but that's about it. I don't talk about it other than with a family otherwise, and all of my lamps, sockets and fixtures are packed in boxes, out of sight.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #53 on: March 07, 2020, 08:04:55 AM » Author: LightsDelight
One of my friends, knows about it, but that's about it. I don't talk about it other than with a family otherwise, and all of my lamps, sockets and fixtures are packed in boxes, out of sight.

Same here. I don't go around telling people but if people see me with it I tell them. Most of my friends I have met through lighting anyway so no hiding it from them :lol:

Keep discharge lighting alive

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #54 on: February 09, 2021, 02:05:27 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Whenever I invite friends to my apartment, I hide my collection in my bedroom but have other modified lights installed throughout other rooms such as a SOX table lamp and a mercury vapor table lamp in my living room and also a DIY mercury vapor fixture that is shaped like a man.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Desultory13
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #55 on: February 11, 2021, 08:16:44 PM » Author: Desultory13
I like this, it's an interesting topic.
To answer the question, nope I don't hide my collection as I don't have any reason to be embarrassed about it.
It's what I enjoy and that's all there is to it.
I don't necessarily go out of my way to display it either.
It's all neatly packed up in boxes and well organized in a closet.
I don't leave it laying all around the house as I'm a very clean and organized person.
All that's left out is new arrivals and that's only until I can make space for them.
As far as talking about lighting well that's cheating because I'm an electrician and that's what I do, give advice to homeowners on how to improve their lighting.
My only friends that I can talk to about lighting would be here on LG.
I've certainly learned a lot here that's for sure, mostly about streetlights, something that has fascinated me for years.
My parents certainly aren't surprised and they have no problems with it at all especially since I've been fascinated with lighting since I was 2 years old, which is something my Mom started and that's an entirely different story altogether.
As far as anyone not liking it or having a problem with it well I just follow my Father's advice "It's what I do and if anyone has a problem with it then they can go hug a root!"
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #56 on: February 12, 2021, 12:25:58 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I don't really hide my collection if I'm inviting people over and I usually keep my most of my traffic lights and a couple of streetlights out. To be honest, if you're the type of person to judge me for collecting streetlights, you probably won't be someone I invite over anyway. Most of the people I talk to on regular basis knows that I have a thing for collecting old lighting anyway.

That being said I do keep it mostly neat as the bulk of my collection resides neatly packed on shelves and boxes stashed away.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #57 on: February 12, 2021, 12:54:16 AM » Author: tolivac
I have too much lighting equipment-can't hide it.What visitors I get even like to see the lights run!EVRY room has a HID lamp of some sort!
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #58 on: February 12, 2021, 01:24:39 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I don’t invite people over period!, although this is nothing to do with lighting, and more to do with having an antisocial German Shepherd and a psychotic cat!  :'-) :'-)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Do you hide your lamp related stuff from other people? « Reply #59 on: February 12, 2021, 01:26:20 AM » Author: suzukir122
Anyone that is over at my apartment is forced to see my lighting, as soon as I flip the switch. Same with my bike garage.
If you walk in my apartment, you're gonna see me fire up all four of my Rapid Start ballasted Sadelite desk lamps.
If you walk in my bike garage, you're gonna see me fire up 3 Par38 Metal Halides. So yeah, I don't hide my lighting. I proudly put
them to use if I've got friends over.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies