Author Topic: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures  (Read 10338 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « on: August 15, 2017, 03:05:45 PM » Author: CEB1993
Hi everyone, here's a new topic where you can share your experiences with extreme weather.  Enjoy!

Here's a picture of a severe thunderstorm rolling in over Greenville, SC yesterday.  This storm produced really heavy rain, probably close to 2 inches.  Surprisingly there wasn't much thunder and no wind considering how dark and threatening the clouds were.  It soaked everything and left the town feeling damp, steamy, and humid this morning.  I'm ready for some cool, dry fall days.

Stay tuned for some solar eclipse pictures next Monday, August 21st.  Upstate South Carolina will be getting a perfect view of a once in a lifetime solar eclipse, and I'm excited to upload some pictures  8)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:08:34 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 08:54:56 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I love wild weather and that is an awesome picture Camden. Surprised there wasn't much lightning from it. :o

I've attached a couple of shots I posted in another thread of a severe thunderstorm that popped up by surprise in early February while driving my Subaru Outback. There was a lot of close lightning and the thunder was so loud you could hear it vibrating the car panels. :o I will also add that this was about 4:30PM and it was still daylight.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:56:48 PM by Mercurylamps » Logged
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:56:07 PM » Author: CEB1993
That's some intense lightning!  I've seen lightning hit a mountain from across the lake, but I didn't get a picture.  It was extremely loud and made the power go out for a few seconds.

Here's a picture of the hail that fell on March 21st.  This hail dented up my car and did a number on the roof of the house.  It was up to golf ball sized and fell non-stop for about 30 minutes.  It was horrible, sounded like millions of bullets being shot at the roof.  The worst hailstorm I've ever seen, and made even scarier because it wasn't predicted in the weather forecast  :o  Looks like snow on the ground.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:56:26 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I wish we had interesting weather here :-\, right now, (UK time 8:53PM), we have a cloud right over the house, just like the one in your first picture, but nothing will come of it, it never does!, thats all we get, dark menacing clouds that are just that!

I can`t even remember when the last thunder storm was here! ???, watching US weather on you-tube is awesome though :D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:52:21 PM » Author: Danny
Yeah the weather in the UK has been rather odd this summer i feel, in june we reached our highest temperatures in 30 odd years i think it was. And in july & august we reached our lowest temperatures in 30 odd years, weve had quite a bit of rain but i wouldnt say it was alot, weve had non or very little thunder storms this summer too. Certainly been odd storm wise! I do like it cool though so im happy with the cool weather!
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:35:17 PM » Author: CEB1993
It's been an average summer here in South Carolina this year with the usual warm and humid days and always a chance of an afternoon thunderstorm blowing up due to the constant heat and humidity.  The average high from June through August here is about 85 to 90 degrees.  Thankfully, I've only had two or three really hot days back in July where we hit 100 degrees.  It's been a rainy and humid August so far with lots of afternoon downpours like in my previous post.  The humidity is what wears on me by the end of summer.  I get tired of walking outside to instantly break out in sweat, have my sunglasses steam up, and just feel oppressed by the heavy, damp air.  Yesterday the air temperature was 88 and the heat index (what it feels like with humidity factored in) was 99,  :P  Bring on the cool, crisp fall air, please!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 08:12:23 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Our weather is gradually warming up here as we are about to head into spring in a week or two. For the past few days we have had large gusts of wind causing the windows to howl and tree branches all over the road.  :o
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 11:48:39 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I wish we had interesting weather here :-\, right now, (UK time 8:53PM), we have a cloud right over the house, just like the one in your first picture, but nothing will come of it, it never does!, thats all we get, dark menacing clouds that are just that!

I can`t even remember when the last thunder storm was here! ???, watching US weather on you-tube is awesome though :D
Funny enough though, I wrote this at 8:53, and 3 and a half hours later, (at 11:30), we had quite a loud a thunderstorm that woke me up!!! ;D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:54:10 PM » Author: CEB1993
Here's my best picture of the solar eclipse in Greenville, SC.  8)

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 08:23:48 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
Reminds me of when we had a solar eclipse when I was 8, a very long time ago. It was amazing to see everything become dark for a while to the point that street lights turned on. 8)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 11:12:03 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I love a good storm - especially thunderstorms, but also the rare winter blizzard. :)

I do have one lightning pic on here: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-121709
I know I have uploaded others too...but must be on one of the other sites because I don't see them here.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 10:34:03 PM » Author: CEB1993
I love a good storm - especially thunderstorms, but also the rare winter blizzard. :)

I do have one lightning pic on here: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-121709
I know I have uploaded others too...but must be on one of the other sites because I don't see them here.

That's some pretty intense lightning! 

I remember leaving my house to drive to a Mexican restaurant five minutes away and having a supercell thunderstorm come out of nowhere within 2 minutes of leaving.  My simple five minute drive was prolonged with blinding rain, the kind that the windshield wipers couldn't keep up with at full speed.  The rain was so heavy and the wind so strong, that I could put my finger between the weather stripping and the frame of the door and allow rain to leak into my car.  The storm was over in ten minutes.  I have always been intrigued by the water tightness of cars and how well they can withstand heavy rain or even if they would be water tight if submerged or flooded.

My car is decently watertight in all but the heaviest rain.  My back driver side door will drip during heavy, prolonged rainfall.

Stop the lamp bans!

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 01:52:30 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Years ago, we had a storm with about three pretty good gusts, I'm sure in excess of 100MPH, which ripped off an entire section of roof on our house.  Imagine corrugated roofing peeled back like a tin food can.  In one gust. 
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 11:47:22 PM » Author: CEB1993
Years ago, we had a storm with about three pretty good gusts, I'm sure in excess of 100MPH, which ripped off an entire section of roof on our house.  Imagine corrugated roofing peeled back like a tin food can.  In one gust. 

I'm about to experience a hurricane from the Atlantic move inland over South Carolina.  I'm worried about the forecasted 50 to 70 mph sustained winds here in Greenville, SC and having trees blow over, house damage, and maybe power outages.  I'm sure I'll have some stories for this thread  :-X

The worst thing is that the hurricane's exact path is unpredictable until it actually arrives.  There's a chance that Greenville, SC could be spared or it could be slammed with violent winds and torrential flooding rain.  I'm planning on being really careful, staying home if my work is closed, and staying in touch with my friends and family here in town.  Hurricane Irma has been unbelievably destructive and dangerous, and it truly is a formidable storm if my inland upstate SC town is going to get all out tropical storm conditions.  I'm anxious to see how it affects us.

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 12:10:38 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: ace100w120v
I've been outside and felt 100mph gusts before. You either want to be sitting down or have something to hold on to!

Quote from: CEB1993
I'm about to experience a hurricane from the Atlantic move inland over South Carolina.   
Stay safe man! And keep your video camera handy.
Right now they're showing that huge beast going right through the center of Florida :o

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies