Author Topic: Gallery of Lights No Longer?  (Read 50348 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 01:44:47 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Of course, that's why you posted it.

I don't follow

Administrator #5

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 01:54:06 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I mentioned some of the less than flattering comments by a few on GOL (most have been deleted) a while back and they were deleted by some of the "mods". Just wanted to see how long your posts describing the overall general remarks would stay up. I got my answer.

Interesting, so the LG admins delete comments about the goings on on GOL ? I'd say as long as I don't mention names or point fingers about it Im good. There are still posts on there visible to the public where I saw this. I don't hold an account on GOL

Administrator #5

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 02:06:14 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
It was in the public domain as well. Just like the shadow watching right now. It's hilarious sometimes.

Well if an admin has any problems with what I said, Id like them to message me and maybe they can fill me in about it, All I was able to gather so far was that the two sites seem to be enemies? It gives me a mufasa vs scar (lion king) kind of feeling LOL. No idea on the reasons.

But the sites online but seems kinda broken, would personally like to see it fixed up and do well for itself. To bad someone cant take it over and make it primarily for streetlights, LG seems to be more of a all the other lighting kind of site so it would mix well

Administrator #5

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 02:23:56 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
GOL seemed to be more of a no nonsense site. You basically talked about lighting and leave the social networking at home. The owner is a good guy which I have a lot of respect for his expertise and his collection of street lighting. Always helpful with no drama and

BTW Happy Birthday.  

Yeah i noticed it had that more serious about lighting vibe going. I have no idea who the owner is or his screen name but ill take your word that hes a good guy. I wasn't really aware there was other lighting sites until today.

If the owner decides to fix it up ill be happy to produce some new icons gifs for him to put on it

Thanks!

Administrator #5

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 07:30:31 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Well if an admin has any problems...

Unleashes ban hammer of doom. The ground trembles and walls collapse, the very fabric of the space time tears into ribbons.  :plasma:

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 12:47:05 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994

Unleashes ban hammer of doom. The ground trembles and walls collapse, the very fabric of the space time tears into ribbons.  :plasma:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you could contact him and maybe an arrangement could be made. That would be beneficial to the many street light enthusiasts.

Could be something to look into for sure

Administrator #5

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 05:47:22 PM » Author: Patrick
Interesting, so the LG admins delete comments about the goings on on GOL ? I'd say as long as I don't mention names or point fingers about it Im good. There are still posts on there visible to the public where I saw this. I don't hold an account on GOL

Just to be clear, there is no rule against discussing Gallery of Lights any more than there would be a rule against discussing happenings on any other website.  If we removed such a posting in the past, it would have been for other rule violations, such as those @Lightingguy1994 is eluding to.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 05:59:05 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Just to be clear, there is no rule against discussing Gallery of Lights any more than there would be a rule against discussing happenings on any other website.  If we removed such a posting in the past, it would have been for other rule violations, such as those @Lightingguy1994 is eluding to.

I'd be surprised if my post violated the rules as I took care to leave details out. As for GOL vs LG I hold no ill feelings to either sites, though I prefer to keep my home on LG as i've been here for about 7 years and generally get along well
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:02:07 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 07:41:50 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: GE101R
I agree, there needs to be a street lighting site. I suggested a street light topic for LG but some had a "hissy fit" at the idea. I wish someone would turn GOL around. 
Sure would be nice. But the key thing would be how to get people to start posting there again.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 07:57:05 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Sure would be nice. But the key thing would be how to get people to start posting there again.

Well for starters it needs a complete overhaul, it looks like its straight out of 2004 :lol:, the emojis are missing, the profiles don't even have the bulb rankings working and i read the bug reports of users having problems uploading and it seems to lack admins.

The site could use a clean look similar to what LG has, some new colour, some boarders and that home screen showing a low res photo with the GOL title should be replaced with a dedicated site logo. And I absolutely mean no disrespect to any of its owners or admins with these suggestions. I know the owners and admins have likely move on to other things and just had no time

Administrator #5

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 08:37:36 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: GE101R
Yea, street lights/gear and specialty fixtures only.
In a way as far as content goes I'd love to see it become something like Gallery Of (Street) Lights

Quote from: Lightingguy1994
Well for starters it needs a complete overhaul,
I wouldn't say an overhaul, but yeah there are some technical issues that need fixing! Maybe a little pretty'ing up too, but that's it.

It may be that the owner, Joe is the only one who can do some of it...I'm not sure how much access the Admins have to things.

At one time one of the Admins (Lil'Cinnamon) lived in Colorado. years ago we did mention that we should meet/talk lights :lol: (never happened tho)
Would be cool to meet another 'light' person. Or maybe even learn some of the inner workings of the website.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:02:26 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #41 on: March 18, 2020, 12:16:52 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I noticed some members had difficulty adjusting there and left, looked like it was partly due to the lack of traffic and also as you said, the site is much more lighting only. LG is a more lax site with something for everyone and a high member base and regular guest attention.

When I went on GOL, I had some difficulty navigating around there and the colours/contrast make it hard on the eyes and less appealing as well as that title card it has.  When I saw the site for the first time, joining was the last thought I had on my mind, so it needs to be made more inviting.

Oh and another issue is web crawlers. If you google almost anything lighting, lighting gallery appears almost always but have personally never seen anything linked to GOL come up on there. Im sure stuff does but it didn't for me. It was google that made me discover LG back in 2013 and the site looked clean, inviting and active so I signed up.

BTW while on the topic of lighting sites, are there more ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:18:59 AM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #42 on: March 18, 2020, 01:05:27 AM » Author: Lumex120

BTW while on the topic of lighting sites, are there more ?
There's quite a few other lighting sites but they are foreign and some aren't even in english.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #43 on: April 10, 2020, 12:55:05 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I've decided to register on GOL

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #44 on: April 10, 2020, 11:25:21 AM » Author: Rommie
I've decided to register on GOL
Best of luck, I registered a few years ago and it took them weeks to process the application. I left last year when I returned here, as I didn't see the point in uploading stuff twice. They still haven't deleted my account as I requested, though  :-\

It's a shame, it has the makings of a good site, but the sheer lack of activity is its Achilles heel  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies