Author Topic: Gallery of Lights No Longer?  (Read 50345 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #45 on: April 10, 2020, 11:38:14 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Im not sure what ill do with it exactly but id like to see if i can help make the site better

Administrator #5

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #46 on: April 10, 2020, 11:46:43 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Edit: im already accepted in

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #47 on: April 10, 2020, 11:48:56 AM » Author: Rommie
Edit: im already accepted in
That was quick, they took about a month with me..! Hope you can generate some activity, although I doubt we'll return, it does seem to be rather heavily biased towards American street lighting, which isn't really our interest, although each to their own.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #48 on: April 10, 2020, 11:53:52 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
That was quick, they took about a month with me..! Hope you can generate some activity, although I doubt we'll return, it does seem to be rather heavily biased towards American street lighting, which isn't really our interest, although each to their own. :lol:

It is heavily dedicated to streetlights. And no worries if i help itll be along term project and no one on here will hear from me about it. So far the log in / out buttons work. I heard they didnt before

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #49 on: April 10, 2020, 11:55:01 AM » Author: Rommie
Good luck  :love:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #50 on: April 10, 2020, 01:41:08 PM » Author: Lumex120
My big issue with GOL is that the site just kind of seems neglected compared to LG. There always seems to be technical issues somewhere on it whereas on LG everything runs smoothly most of the time.

That was quick, they took about a month with me..! Hope you can generate some activity, although I doubt we'll return, it does seem to be rather heavily biased towards American street lighting, which isn't really our interest, although each to their own.
I think GOL has always been more popular among North American members while LG is more international.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #51 on: April 10, 2020, 01:42:44 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
My big issue with GOL is that the site just kind of seems neglected compared to LG. There always seems to be technical issues somewhere on it whereas on LG everything runs smoothly most of the time.

I noticed that lol, does it have a webmaster?

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #52 on: April 10, 2020, 01:43:33 PM » Author: Rommie
We've often considered starting our own site, dedicated to traditional lighting sources (no LED's  :lol:) but although I have admin experience and could run it, I don't have the necessary skills to set something up from scratch  :-\

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #53 on: April 10, 2020, 01:46:17 PM » Author: Lumex120
I noticed that lol, does it have a webmaster?
Sure doesn't seem like it. I made a post asking for help with changing the language almost a year ago and to this day it never got a response.  :P The problem eventually fixed itself though.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #54 on: April 10, 2020, 02:04:25 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The owner is probably not motivated anymore from lack of traffic. I did send a pm to an admin who appears to be the webmaster with an offer to whip up some fresh icons for the site and a few things to help. Perhaps if they see someone cares and is willing, it could reignite some motivation.

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #55 on: April 10, 2020, 02:06:49 PM » Author: Rommie
I think it needs someone to overhaul it from scratch. Complete redesign. Not my area of expertise, though.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #56 on: April 10, 2020, 02:14:39 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Yes I agree. A good redesign and adjustments to make it easier to use and cleaner looking. It has lots of potential. And no I don't want to compete against LG either. LG is a place where there is something for everyone, GOL is more of a streetlight first kind of place. I think it should stay that way as it has a lot of dedicated enthusiasts on there. It'll really be up to the owner, I can do my best to suggest and work with them on anything, so far I have pitched new icons and maybe a new homepage photo. See what happens.

I'm only going to hold 3 albums there, 2 of which are streetlight related.

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #57 on: April 10, 2020, 02:25:02 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah the activity on there pretty much died out during the past 2-3 years. Nothing like when it was between 2010-2014ish when there were a fair amount of posts and pictures. Back then I used to keep most of my streetlight and HID lighting pictures on GoL and most of my incandescent and fluorescent lighting on LG. There's some a bit of GoL exclusive pictures in my gallery but I've been slowly moving some of my better pictures to LG. I think the biggest problem is that a lot of the still active GoL members have migrated to LG over the years too. I still check in the site from time to time.

BTW, I'm still one of the admins on GoL so send me a PM on here with your GoL username if you want to expedite your account approval if you want to sign up for GoL. Unfortunately I'm not the site owner so I can't really make much changes nor do I have access to the hosting backend. I think most of the site issues started after SMF or Coppermine got upgraded, it used to be less buggy.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #58 on: April 10, 2020, 02:29:44 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
@Joseph_125

Thats cool you are admin on there, do you have the ability to add or remove icons in the forums like homebrewlamps does here?
Is Jace the owner? it was him i sent the pm too with my offers to help.

Edit, are you  joe_347v on GOL?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:33:32 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #59 on: April 10, 2020, 02:35:26 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe I do, the forum software on there is very similar to what LG has. Anyway no, Jace was one of the other admins but I'm not sure when he was last active. Ian (LilCinnamon) is the owner of the site. I believe he might have a LG account but his username on here escapes me the moment.

As for why the account approvals take so long I think it's because I'm only one on there with admin access who still somewhat regularly visits the site and process approving accounts. If you want to sign up, send me a PM on here and I'll approve your account ASAP.

And yeah I am, I think a lot of older LG members have or had an GoL account at one point but with slightly different usernames. I think some still have their GoL profile linked in their LG profile too lol.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:41:58 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies