Author Topic: Gallery of Lights No Longer?  (Read 50370 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #60 on: April 10, 2020, 02:36:46 PM » Author: Lumex120
Yes I agree. A good redesign and adjustments to make it easier to use and cleaner looking. It has lots of potential. And no I don't want to compete against LG either. LG is a place where there is something for everyone, GOL is more of a streetlight first kind of place. I think it should stay that way as it has a lot of dedicated enthusiasts on there. It'll really be up to the owner, I can do my best to suggest and work with them on anything, so far I have pitched new icons and maybe a new homepage photo. See what happens.

I'm only going to hold 3 albums there, 2 of which are streetlight related.

I have recently been considering getting to work on a new site that would be similar to GOL but run on more up-to-date software and have a better looking layout (that would be similar enough to what we are all used to). Now that others have shown interest in it a little I might actually get started with this, we'll see.  I have made a few small webpages but never a big website like this before. If I do start it, I'll definitely want to hear your suggestions.

I believe I do, the forum software on there is very similar to what LG has. Anyway no, Jace was one of the other admins but I'm not sure when he was last active. Ian (LilCinnamon) is the owner of the site. I believe he might have a LG account but his username on here escapes me the moment.
I think he's !KEDER on here.

Unofficial LG Discord

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #61 on: April 10, 2020, 02:46:22 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think you might be right.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #62 on: April 10, 2020, 02:49:28 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I have recently been considering getting to work on a new site that would be similar to GOL but run on more up-to-date software and have a better looking layout (that would be similar enough to what we are all used to). Now that others have shown interest in it a little I might actually get started with this, we'll see.  I have made a few small webpages but never a big website like this before. If I do start it, I'll definitely want to hear your suggestions.
That's a cool idea, i'll join if you do and if you need a moderator as well Im willing to take on the job. And can certainly help with bulb icons and such.
...And yeah I am, I think a lot of older LG members have or had an GoL account at one point but with slightly different usernames. I think some still have their GoL profile linked in their LG profile too lol.
Thats great! I never put 2 and 2 together that it was you. You are well known for your vast street lighting collection on there

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #63 on: April 10, 2020, 02:53:20 PM » Author: joseph_125
I never put 2 and 2 together that it was you. You are well known for your vast street lighting collection on there

Heh, I've been using the same pics and sometimes descriptions of both sites lol. Anyway I'm a different Joe than Joe Maurath which I think people might have confused me for.

I think he's !KEDER on here.

A new lighting site would be pretty interesting actually. Especially one with more modern features like auto updating pages and responsive design.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:55:21 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #64 on: April 10, 2020, 02:54:58 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Heh, I've been using the same pics and sometimes descriptions of both sites lol. Anyway I'm a different than Joe Maurath which I think people might have confused me for.

Sorry if I got you two mixed up lol.. but still cool

Administrator #5

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #65 on: April 10, 2020, 03:34:53 PM » Author: Patrick
@Lumex120, if you or anybody else would like to proposal an alternative platform for Lighting-Gallery, you're welcome to do so.  Even better if you can build a proof of concept.  One stipulation is that it must support migrating data from SMF and Coppermine.  No guarantees we'd use it, but we'd gladly accept proposals.  In my opinion, in the long term we'd be better off with one or two well-maintained sites rather than four or more that aren't.  A major challenge would be meeting everyone's expectations, given the variety of interests and preferences.  However, better categorization and filtering could help with that.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #66 on: April 10, 2020, 03:59:26 PM » Author: Rommie
A new lighting site would be pretty interesting actually. Especially one with more modern features like auto updating pages and responsive design.
As I said, we thought about starting one, but I don't have the skills necessary to create it from scratch. Although if we ever did, it'd be an LED-free zone :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #67 on: April 10, 2020, 09:44:53 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: joseph_125
Ian (LilCinnamon) is the owner of the site.
I still see him there on occasion.
Years ago at a point when he lived in CO we did send a few PM's back & forth about trying to meet in person. Have also sent a few random PM's here & there.

I've thought about sending him a PM to see if maybe I could get access & try to help with the site.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #68 on: April 11, 2020, 02:55:14 PM » Author: Lumex120
@Lumex120, if you or anybody else would like to proposal an alternative platform for Lighting-Gallery, you're welcome to do so.  Even better if you can build a proof of concept.  One stipulation is that it must support migrating data from SMF and Coppermine.  No guarantees we'd use it, but we'd gladly accept proposals.  In my opinion, in the long term we'd be better off with one or two well-maintained sites rather than four or more that aren't.  A major challenge would be meeting everyone's expectations, given the variety of interests and preferences.  However, better categorization and filtering could help with that.
I don't know if it would really be an alternative platform, I was thinking more of an updated replacement to GOL. I know a lot of people like this site's layout and don't want anything to really change so making a new site be as similar as possible would in fact be a pretty big challenge. Either way I don't have a steady income thanks to this virus right now so it's going to have to wait.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #69 on: April 11, 2020, 11:53:59 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
As expected, I've had no response to my offer to help with GOL lol  ::) was hoping for opportunity to help out somewhere and gain experience

Administrator #5

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #70 on: April 12, 2020, 12:25:25 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Lightingguy1994
The admins are not on there every day.

@Lumex120:
Since it'd be an entirely new site, in that case I see no reason it couldn't have a completely different look/interface than LG

-----------
Personally I hope GOL can be resurrected not replaced.
Depending on how long this COVID crazyness goes on (and how long I'm out of work for) If I end up getting all the things I want to do around the house done, I'm thinking that I'm gonna see if I can maybe talk to LilCinnamon about fixing/updating GOL (maybe even try to help if I can)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:27:32 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #71 on: April 14, 2020, 01:47:19 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
@joseph_125, do you have the ability as admin to delete users off GOL?

Administrator #5

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #72 on: April 14, 2020, 10:43:21 AM » Author: Jovan
Merging the two sites together will be a difficult process, as I was been told, there was a war on here years ago, which lead to the making of GoL, but since its update on 2019 its pretty dead as of now. I do still post there and upload images there. But bringing it back and merging it to this site will be a hard task to complete.

What caused that war?Incandescent ban(joke) or something else
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #73 on: April 14, 2020, 12:36:46 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
As I understand it, it was a disagreement between administration at the time on how the site was to be run and it caused some of the members to split off and create their own website, whilst the existing administration was purged.

And Id like to delete my account there but an admin needs to approve it which is why i asked Joseph about it......

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #74 on: April 14, 2020, 02:11:09 PM » Author: Rommie
As I understand it, it was a disagreement between administration at the time on how the site was to be run and it caused some of the members to split off and create their own website, whilst the existing administration was purged.

And Id like to delete my account there but an admin needs to approve it which is why i asked Joseph about it......

Same here. If you make contact, ask for mine and Sammi's accounts to be deleted as well. They can contact us by email if they need confirmation.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies