Author Topic: Removal of Last Updated Albums  (Read 23782 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Removal of Last Updated Albums « on: March 04, 2018, 07:57:22 PM » Author: Patrick
In an effort to improve site performance, we have removed Last Updated Albums.  We apologize to those who used this listing, but it is one of the more resource-intensive sections and becoming more so as the the number of albums increases.  Also, to further reduce loading times, new photos and comments may not appear on the home page immediately.  Other portions of the site should continue to reflect changes immediately.  Many of you have reported slowness in recent months and we hope these changes will increase the speed of the site.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 08:02:16 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
interesting...

I do not like the delay on new images and comments ... seems like it would break how the site originally worked... I don't mind the last updated albums being gone.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:04:13 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 08:09:22 PM » Author: Rommie
That's fine by me, I rarely use the home page anyway, I mainly check the recent posts and gallery last uploaded/last comments pages.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:11:46 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:23:59 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Ok, thanks.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 09:36:50 PM » Author: Patrick
If the cache delay is too bothersome, we could see if pulling Last Updated Albums alone is enough.  The home page only provides a quick preview of recent activity, and I expect most people go into the gallery if they want to see more.  I'd like to make the front page as fast as possible.  It gives a good first impression, and reduces load, which helps keep the rest of the site speedy.  The message boards on the home page still update in real time.

Lighting-Gallery.net

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 10:08:45 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
If the cache delay is too bothersome, we could see if pulling Last Updated Albums alone is enough.  The home page only provides a quick preview of recent activity, and I expect most people go into the gallery if they want to see more.  I'd like to make the front page as fast as possible.  It gives a good first impression, and reduces load, which helps keep the rest of the site speedy.  The message boards on the home page still update in real time.

I don't know about others, but what I usually do is look at last comments and the last uploads.. since it is most convenient... thats why I'm a bit bothered by this transition..
However i will be willing to live with it.. aslong as I can click the "More" button and still have it be real time I'm all moonshine and potatos.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:13:02 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 11:01:28 PM » Author: Lumex120
In an effort to improve site performance, we have removed Last Updated Albums.  We apologize to those who used this listing, but it is one of the more resource-intensive sections and becoming more so as the the number of albums increases.  Also, to further reduce loading times, new photos and comments may not appear on the home page immediately.  Other portions of the site should continue to reflect changes immediately.  Many of you have reported slowness in recent months and we hope these changes will increase the speed of the site.
I'm fine with new uploads appearing after a delay, but comments? Sometimes I like to have "conversations" when the uploader is online, having a delay could be problematic.

Unofficial LG Discord

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 11:28:33 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm fine with new uploads appearing after a delay, but comments? Sometimes I like to have "conversations" when the uploader is online, having a delay could be problematic.
Same thought I had...

~Owen

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 11:46:03 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
would clearing out the large amount of membership which never have logged in or never became active parts of the community speed things up any?

~Owen

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 10:48:19 AM » Author: Rommie
would clearing out the large amount of membership which never have logged in or never became active parts of the community speed things up any?
Yes, I was wondering that. I've just checked the membership list and there are currently 23 pages of users who have NEVER made a post in the forums, plus another 9 pages of people whose post counts are single digits. It's harder to determine who has never posted any photos, but I'm willing to bet there are quite a few.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 03:01:19 AM » Author: Beta 5
I don't like the delay on the comments, its alright on the new images, but not comments.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 09:18:25 AM » Author: Rommie

I don't like the delay on the comments, its alright on the new images, but not comments.

Same here, delays on new photos are fine, but not so on the comments, especially when you're trying to have a "conversation", as it were.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 03:47:42 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Same here, delays on new photos are fine, but not so on the comments, especially when you're trying to have a "conversation", as it were.
I third this! (Not sure If I already have)

~Owen

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 07:44:58 PM » Author: Patrick
All parts of the site except the home page, including the main gallery page and last comments, have no delay on new comments.  I had tested caching other areas and I agree the the minimal speed boost isn't worth it.

I also agree we should cleanup the member list, removing those who rarely or never use the site.  I wouldn't expect a large performance boost given that the registrations in question have few if any posts or photos, but it couldn't hurt.

Lighting-Gallery.net

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Removal of Last Updated Albums « Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 02:03:38 PM » Author: Beta 5
Can we get rid of the delay on comments on the front page?
Its quite annoying.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies