Author Topic: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor?  (Read 2061 times)
micole66

View Posts
View Gallery

Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « on: April 06, 2018, 02:19:05 PM » Author: micole66
This lamp have white light, in my phone camera looks green!!! But i am not sure, is this metal halide or mercury vapor?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:47:28 PM » Author: dor123
Mercury vapor with a color correcting phosphor. It looks green in the camera because the camera see the yellow mercury lines as green.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

micole66

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:51:21 PM » Author: micole66
Mercury vapor with a color correcting phosphor. It looks green in the camera because the camera see the yellow mercury lines as green.

But there are metal halide lamps that look green with camera of my phone??
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:18:07 PM » Author: dor123
This is from the same reason that the camera sees the yellow mercury spectral lines as green. This is generally that the camera sees yellow wavelengths as green.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:18:38 PM » Author: Ash
Most MH lamps have shorter arc than the equivalent size Mercury lamps. Is the arc long or short ?
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 12:45:25 PM » Author: streetlight98
That's a Westinghouse OV-14B with the glass missing! These use the same glass as the OV-10.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:59:30 PM » Author: dor123
I don't think this is some OV cobrahead. I think that the country micole66 lives, don't have any American lanterns.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 01:22:05 AM » Author: joseph_125
I can't really pinpoint the exact model for sure, but I think that's either a OV-14B or a OV-12. More likely a OV-12 since that had the glass separately hinged like a clamshell. Is there a higher res picture available?
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:16 AM » Author: streetlight98
Come to think of it this is an ov12 since the ov14b is a split door like the original ov25...

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 05:55:18 AM » Author: dor123
This lantern isn't American, this is some European clone of it

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 08:16:39 AM » Author: joseph_125
This lantern isn't American, this is some European clone of it

So if you still think this is not OV series fixture, what do you think it is? Please explain why you think this is a European light. Other members have shown prior that Westinghouse fixtures saw some use in Europe.

For the record here is a set of pictures of a OV-12. You can see the second picture looks a lot like the one in the pic. The OV-12 was such a short lived design that I doubt anyone cloned the design.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this streetlight a metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 04:30:44 PM » Author: Ash
Gotta add some observation about "short lived production lanterns" in other countries

In Israel, the most common "large" (~150W) lantern inside towns for decades was the AEG Koffer 150 made in Germany. We seen 3 generations of it :

- Metal body with 4 small clips, installed since the 70's till mid 80's

- Thin Fiber body with the same 4 small clips, installed from the mid till the end of the 80's

- Thick Fiber body with different shape (deeper), 2 large clips, installed from the beginning of the 90's till the 2000's

In Germany, it's home country,

- Metal body ones are from the 60's..70's (and the oldest of them have only 2 clips, a thing i haven't seen in Israel at all)

- The "new" Fiber body version existed allready in the 80's

- I have not seen any posts about the "first" Fiber body version being installed anywhere. It could be that the lantern is very rare to non existent in Germany, and there were more of them exported than used inside ?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies