Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 192621 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #465 on: March 11, 2020, 01:17:47 PM » Author: suzukir122
I'm sorry guys... complete random... THIS is one of the reasons why I love severe weather so much.
When I lived in St.louis, we had tornado siren systems that sounded very similar to the ones
in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ietnzXZpXk
Those kind of sirens... before/during a storm that could potentially cause serious harm... that was always
sooooooo awesome to me!
This video, however, took place in Oklahoma. The only thing missing is the higher pitch sound from
the Whelen 3016's we also had in Stlouis. That's literally it.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #466 on: March 12, 2020, 12:02:03 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: GE101R
Sorry about the late reply. The uplift was strong and multi directional which was a feeling that I had never experienced. We had none tornadoes in a three county area that day and the one that went over the house dropped down about 3 miles away and destroyed some property but no injuries.
I've never been lucky enough to feel it..
But just from what you said, it sounds like you were under the storm's main inflow/updraft!
Good to hear there were no injuries. Buildings can be replaced.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #467 on: March 12, 2020, 05:28:45 AM » Author: suzukir122
@GE101R, I relied on a mixture of everything. Radar, definitely NOAA weather radio, weather man input on where the circulation is,
actual sights of rotation (I've only seen that once in my entire life) and of course, tornado sirens indicating tornado warning
for my area.
This, for me, really spiked up my interest for thunderstorms when I was a kid.
The tornado sirens ended up being *one* of the first things to really open up my eyes to how serious
the situation is, as odd as that sounds.
The only thing that video I linked to is missing, is the roar of an F5 tornado on the ground. Had that been the case,
that would be a totally different video/very scary situation.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #468 on: March 12, 2020, 06:38:06 AM » Author: suzukir122
@GE101R, Yep! Continuous lightning... that is something I'd also be looking out for. That is when I know things are about
to get serious... even without the tornado involvement, but especially if there is a tornado on the way. That and large hail.

First severe weather night for me this year...
Nice bike riding for me possible today, but a marginal risk for severe weather is apparently issued for
the area tonight. Obvious threat of thunderstorms, very small threat of hail, higher threat for damaging winds and heavy rain,
and a small threat of tornadoes. Small threat -- but the threat is still there. Higher threat for Southwest Ohio. That's where I live.
Southeast of Stlouis Missouri and surrounding areas, seems to be the "bulls eye" area for tonight for a much higher threat
of Severe Weather.

Interests:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #469 on: March 12, 2020, 11:17:59 AM » Author: dor123

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #470 on: March 12, 2020, 12:14:35 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Dor123.... ?? Is it rain? Fog? Incoming but not yet visible thunderstorm?  ???

Interests:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #471 on: March 12, 2020, 12:56:56 PM » Author: dor123
This is indeed a dust storm in Kiryat Ata in particular and in Israel in general.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #472 on: March 12, 2020, 02:34:16 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Dor123... oooohhhh. Yeah that is also a form of Severe Weather. I couldn't imagine being there at that time,
because I have severe asthma. If I were there and that dust got into my lungs, I would not be having a good time. At all.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #473 on: March 12, 2020, 06:58:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
Nice bike riding for me possible today, but a marginal risk for severe weather is apparently issued for
the area tonight. Obvious threat of thunderstorms, very small threat of hail, higher threat for damaging winds and heavy rain,
and a small threat of tornadoes. Small threat -- but the threat is still there. Higher threat for Southwest Ohio. That's where I live.
Southeast of Stlouis Missouri and surrounding areas, seems to be the "bulls eye" area for tonight for a much higher threat
of Severe Weather.
Not a small threat, I saw the prediction yesterday (& again this morning) and pretty much knew it was not a matter  of IF but WHEN there were tornadoes today.
See attached graphic - anything in that orange area is pretty much fair game.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #474 on: March 12, 2020, 07:09:46 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Continuous lightning during a tornado warning is telling. That's what we had here that day.
I love when a storm with rapid lightning happens (pretty rare here though)

If I were younger, storm chasing might be very interesting...
I'm old, and I plan to do it if I get the chance :lol:

--------------------------------------------
Looking at the radar, I see there's multiple severe-warned storms out, plus a couple tornado warnings...atleast one of which appears as though it has a tornado on the ground.
(time to go check out that weather-related Discord site!)

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #475 on: March 12, 2020, 07:46:55 PM » Author: suzukir122
Honestly, age really, really shouldn't have anything to do with Storm Chasing lol
It's thrilling and it's awesome. You just have to know when it's time to get going or
get out of danger. With the amount of knowledge we have about these storms, it's very possible
to escape harms way regardless of age. There will be disagreement with my opinion, but
it's just an opinion! Stay safe though...
@Xmaslightguy, the radar was LIT around southeast stlouis about an hour, almost 2 hours ago.
A very well defined storm with a decent hail core went through there. It's recorded on the interactive radar.
Long track thunderstorm that stayed well defined during movement. Nice hook with it too... so I wonder
if it dropped a tornado...?

Interests:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #476 on: March 12, 2020, 07:51:45 PM » Author: CEB1993
Had thunderstorms in the forecast today in my area. Nothing  severe, but I’m quick to assume the worst. I dread the next time it hails here, especially since I no longer park in a parking garage. Thankfully it was just a rain shower and a few claps of thunder this time.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #477 on: March 12, 2020, 09:23:31 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
You just have to know when it's time to get going or get out of danger. With the amount of knowledge we have about these storms, it's very possible to escape harms way regardless of age.
True as long as you're careful, you should be ok....but there is always that chance you could be El Reno'ed

@Xmaslightguy, the radar was LIT around southeast stlouis about an hour, almost 2 hours ago.A very well defined storm with a decent hail core went through there. It's recorded on the interactive radar. Long track thunderstorm that stayed well defined during movement. Nice hook with it too... so I wonder if it dropped a tornado...?
I was outside doing yardwork at that time .lol. pretty much came home from work & went straight to the yard (had something I wanted to get done before it snows tomorrow.) When I was done I came in & took a look at radar, fully expecting to see some storms.

I was watching storms farther south near the MO boarder when I made that last post.
Does whatever  weather app you're using have the option of showing 'Velocity'? That'll show the signs of rotation better than the standard 'Reflectivity' where the hook echo shows.
The graphic I attached here isn't great since its not a tornado, but its good enough to use as an example: see the red/green couplet I circled in white? Thats rotation - the mesocyclone...if there was a tornado on the ground the red/green would be brighter & more tightly together.

A half-hour or so ago there was a storm in KY that went tornado-warned, looked like it mighta dropped a brief tornado.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #478 on: March 12, 2020, 10:59:00 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Tornado warning in TN.
Lets hope for no repeats of that last storm.

edit:
It died pretty quickly. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:46:16 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #479 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:04 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Tornado warned storm in TX now (not surprising seeing the SPC Convective Outlook forecast for today).
Deff some rotation showing on Radar.. can't say for sure if there is a tornado on the ground.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies