Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 195028 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #450 on: March 04, 2020, 06:09:12 AM » Author: suzukir122
This brings me back to concern for tornado season. I really wonder how much severe weather will
ramp up when it's actually Spring. I still have that gut feeling that there will be historic severe weather later.
I hope I'm wrong lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #451 on: March 04, 2020, 03:00:02 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Been warm the last few days.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #452 on: March 04, 2020, 03:29:56 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Been warm the last few days.
It's nice to finally have spring after a long fake winter!

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #453 on: March 04, 2020, 04:51:00 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
It's nice to finally have spring after a long fake winter!
Looking forward to it!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #454 on: March 04, 2020, 10:13:37 PM » Author: Lumex120
The worst thing with the Nashville tornado is that it hit in the middle of the night. Can you imagine waking up to your house being ripped up around you or being outside and having no idea where the tornado is?

Unofficial LG Discord

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #455 on: March 04, 2020, 10:18:43 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
It definitely didn't look like a direct hit at all. Things would've gotten much louder as well had  it been a direct hit.
Plus some of those vehicles in the lot may have been rolled, or at minimum moved..that didn't happen, plus you don't see any tree branches or large debris fly by.
I had muted the sound, so didn't hear it.

yet again.... it's a small world. That video you just linked to was, for some reason, uploaded by "Fox 2 News," from St.louis. I lived in St.louis for about 9 years
Interesting it worked out that way .lol. I'm guessing that video  was sent to the Fox station in Nashville, which then shared it with the Fox network in general...the St.louis station then put it on their YouTube.

Supercells with purples in the middle (depending on radar color) are the ones I'd watch out for very closely.
Yep supercells that show purple/magenta or radar are going to be stronger & have heavier rain/hail.

I'm going to attach some pic's to show what truly to watch out for with tornadoes on radar. (in all cases I grabbed these while watching the TN storm)
Image A: This is 'Velocity' (ie: motion) - rather than the standard 'Reflectivity' you see on radar (not all apps or sites will show this mode). Red indicates moving away from the radar site, green indicates moving towards. (and brighter color is faster speed). Note that little area with a red/green couplet where I have the arrow pointing - that's the anticyclones (and in this case a weak tornado on the ground). this one isn't the best example because its near the edge of the radar's area, the red would normally be brighter & wouldn't be have white   

Image B: Standard 'Reflectivity' (ie: rain). This storm doesn't quite have the classic "hook echo" shape, but its a good enough example... Tornado is where the white arrow points. Gray circle would be around where the RFD is. White circle is around where the hail core is.

Image C: Again 'Velocity' Arrow in the center of  red/green couplet like before  is approx location where tornado on the ground is. Note: to the east of this, the town of Cookeville - one of the locations with the worse damage.

Image D: This is 'Correlation Coefficient' (a mode most generic weather apps or sites won't show). See that blue spot where I put the arrow. In this case  that is debris from the tornado on the ground.  (if this was closer to the radar site , it'd give a clearer 'picture' .. the other blue spots should be ignored, they are interference or not related to tornadic activity)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #456 on: March 04, 2020, 10:39:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: GE101R
We are having "training" severe thunderstorms
I love when that happens here (but its usually thundershowers, not severe storms.) And is fairly rare.
I know you guys don't need anymore  rain (especially seeing what people on that weather-related discord site I visit were saying last night)

Quote from: GE101R
  When I walked outside just before it went over, I could actually feel the "lift" of the wind on myself. Needless to say, I got inside quick!
Sounds like you felt the main updraft! (a pretty dangerous part of the storm since that's  right near where the tornado can drop...well, as you saw)..
I woulda been on that thing with the videocamera :lol: (yes call me crazy if you wish)

Quote from: suzukir122
This brings me back to concern for tornado season. I really wonder how much severe weather will ramp up when it's actually Spring.
People on a weather-related website are saying it appears that we *may* be  in for an active March - possibly above average severe/tornadic weather. (lets just hope that if this comes true it avoids populated areas!)

Quote from: Lumex120
  Can you imagine waking up to your house being ripped up around you or being outside and having no idea where the tornado is?
You'd know where it is if your house was being ripped up :o
And yep that'd be a horrible horrible way to be awakened at night!
(I for one am glad I live in a location where that won't happen)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #457 on: March 04, 2020, 10:43:04 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Looking forward to it!
Me too! It smelled like spring for the first time on Monday.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #458 on: March 04, 2020, 10:50:00 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
We're going to have a few warm days - highs in the 60's (maybe as high as 70 in Denver on Sat...so maybe around 65  for me)
Winter ain't over yet though...still got the rest of Mar, plus all of Apr & May, any of which it can snow.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #459 on: March 04, 2020, 11:07:47 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
We're going to have a few warm days - highs in the 60's (maybe as high as 70 in Denver on Sat...so maybe around 65  for me)
Winter ain't over yet though...still got the rest of Mar, plus all of Apr & May, any of which it can snow.
For the past couple years, it seems like we have had very mild winters and very rainy springs, specifically May.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #460 on: March 05, 2020, 12:53:11 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Based on damage found in NWS survey results in Putnam County, TN, the tornado there has been given a preliminary rating of EF-4

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #461 on: March 05, 2020, 06:50:08 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
We barely had any snow, just a few storms.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #462 on: March 05, 2020, 03:58:34 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
We barely had any snow, just a few storms.
Same here. The forecast at the beginning of the year was a false alarm.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #463 on: March 05, 2020, 08:44:23 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
We had very little snow in January, but February on the other hand was snowy.
March is one of the snowiest months here on average, so will just have to wait & see what nature brings....

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #464 on: March 10, 2020, 09:53:20 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Tornado on the ground in California as I'm posting this...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies