Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190045 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Severe weather never sleeps! « on: March 12, 2019, 05:31:15 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Its Spring, and most of time you usually get these strong to severe thunderstorms (sometimes Summer, where I live). So I'm prepared for it, and tracking these severe storms (with my latest weather equipment). Which generally, the atmosphere is very unstable enough to create strong to severe thunderstorms, by cold fronts and other weather phenomenons that happen. So guys are you prepared for this storm season? If not, you should start now!

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:44:21 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yes, be prepared...
Make sure batteries for your video camera are charged & ready!

I don't have any sort of weather equipment. Wouldn't even know what I'd need .LOL.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 08:18:49 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
You can use a AM radio as a piece of weather equipment, which can be used as a sferic lighting detector! Softer the crackles, the farther the lightning is. The louder the crackles, the closer the lightning is. ;)

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:25:38 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yup, lightinglover8902 is right. AM radio is definitely great at picking up static sounds from lightning. Also, the more the lightning, the more
the crackles, the worse the storm. Severe and Supercell thunderstorms normally have the most lightning... especially Supercells.
This topic is pretty much just in time for me... because here we have an "enhanced" threat of severe storms today. That's a step above
the "marginal" and "slight" risk, which means we will likely see mean thunderstorms today.
It's suppose to be 68 degrees, and I was thinking about going on a very small bike ride today. Yeah... that's not happening.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:21:52 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I do ofcourse have the option of AM radio
I was thinking maybe you had some sorts fancy weather equipment .LOL.

----
Severe weather season here doesn't really start until May/June
We did have a bit of a blizzard yesterday, which was kinda cool to watch. :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:59 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, is your state part of that "Bomb Cyclone" blizzard that I keep hearing about in the news? That
Blizzard is making history apparently, packing winds of up to 80mph

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:17:38 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Yep its gone now, we had that storm yesterday.

Where I'm at, it wasn't all that bad. You deff wouldn't want to have been out driving around in it or anything, but we didn't get hit as hard as some parts of the state (heavy snow & wind, but didn't get to 80mph gusts here). Thought we might lose power for awhile because the lights kept blinking/flickering, but it never went out.

I did break out the video camera & record a couple short vids, haven't looked at 'em yet, but I don't think anything worth YouTube'ing

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 12:24:50 PM » Author: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, yeah that storm has been all over the news lol, it was even talked about during talks about potential severe
weather over here.
Speaking of that, there is a tornadic storm heading up quickly towards my area, as of right now. Not sure if there's a tornado
on the ground, but I was able to detect the storms rotation easily even without knowing there was a tornado warning issued for it.
Looks like it *might* be a legit supercell. We'll see if it weakens before it gets to Ohio.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 01:31:02 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
That storm is pretty much all the news was here yesterday :lol:

Grab your videocamera & get some thunderstorm vids!
I hope you don't actually end up getting a tornado :o
Stay safe out there.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 02:05:39 PM » Author: suzukir122
I won't capture any of this on video, but I know for a fact tons of other people probably will. As it stands right
now, I'm seeing Supercells, after Supercells lining up one by one, Southeast of Indiana/West Kentucky. Each storm has a Tornado Warning.
This is a classic... the kind of storms I'm use to seeing on radar around Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. And it's sunny here right
now. Sun = very bad. Fuel for the storms. haha... I just hope no one dies. These storms are legit looking deadly right now.

Oh and also, Storm Chaser Reed Timmer is covering this as well on his twitter. Just found out a couple seconds ago.

Interests:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 05:51:27 PM » Author: Cole D.
I seen that on the news about those storms.

Here we get some of these storms in the spring, but sometimes in the early winter, when it's warmer and a cold front comes through. Usually causes thunderstorms to build in evening or at night.

And last year I was driving my car, and it was windy with lightning, and when I turned my radio to AM, I could hear the crackle. Even once when I was sitting in the parking lot at Taco Bell, I could even hear it on FM when I saw lightning hit close by.

But I'm not sure with my new car if it will pick up, since the old car had rod antenna, but new one has it in the back window glass.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 12:10:37 AM » Author: lightinglover8902

And last year I was driving my car, and it was windy with lightning, and when I turned my radio to AM, I could hear the crackle. Even once when I was sitting in the parking lot at Taco Bell, I could even hear it on FM when I saw lightning hit close by.

But I'm not sure with my new car if it will pick up, since the old car had rod antenna, but new one has it in the back window glass.

@Cole D.

Its better to put the AM radio on 520kHz or 530kHz, which you'll get the best results for lightning detection.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:12:41 AM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 11:47:02 AM » Author: boiler1011
We get lots of severe weather here in NTX, and this year is shaping up to be quite active.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:38 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Boiler1011, the kind of storms we *almost* saw here in Dayton Ohio, was the kind of storms I would expect to see more towards
the Southwest of the USA, like Texas, Oklahoma, and even Kansas.

Interests:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 05:38:27 PM » Author: CEB1993
I experienced a snow squal for the first time here in Albany back in January. A sudden blast of wind and blowing snow that makes driving really dangerous.   Visibility is severely reduced. Then it’s over as quickly as it starts.  Kind of like the scattered strong summer storms I’m used to in SC.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies