Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190037 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #30 on: March 29, 2019, 12:20:24 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Yeah it was. The whole cul de sac street was like a huge pond and it almost, just almost coming up to my house, and down to the driveway (where the ditch is) was filled with flood waters. My house is on a elevated top, but its also next to a revene which drains the water pretty quickly though IIRC. But yeah, that was wild, the storm stalled and went back as a tropical storm, and made another landfall in Louisiana.

So the storm made history, because one it made two landfalls, a category 4 landfall in Texas, and a tropical storm landfall in Louisiana. Two, lots of rainfall, and we're getting tornadoes like crazy and luckly our power stayed on during the storm.

Plus the eye wall hit Corpus Christi, but in Houston we're getting all of the bad stuff.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:24:08 AM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #31 on: March 29, 2019, 12:59:16 AM » Author: suzukir122
@lightinglover8902, those were probably embedded weak spin up tornadoes, or maybe funnel clouds. Embedded supercell thunderstorms within hurricanes
isn't impossible, but those supercell storms in a hurricane won't be as intense as a typical supercell thunderstorm lol
This is why you don't hear much about F4/F5 tornadoes within hurricanes, or hail storms. It's good though because I'm pretty
sure that if an F5 tornado took place inside of a category 5 hurricane, there would be far, far more fatalities.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #32 on: March 29, 2019, 08:27:52 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Yeah, it could've been worse. There was one of those brief spin-up tornadoes near me during the storm, as the warning was issued it ALMOST about to come down to the ground, but it quickly went back up and dissipated.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #33 on: March 29, 2019, 11:59:39 AM » Author: suzukir122
Ohh lol that's a funnel cloud if it didn't touch the ground... spinning from a Mesocyclone in a weak supercell storm
within the outer bands of the hurricane

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 02:50:53 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Ohh lol that's a funnel cloud if it didn't touch the ground... spinning from a Mesocyclone in a weak supercell storm
within the outer bands of the hurricane

Yeah, it was bad. My weather radios were going off like crazy during the storm.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #35 on: March 29, 2019, 02:57:29 PM » Author: suzukir122
Man, what I wish I could do -- I wish I could see the base cloud of a hurricane before it arrives. I've
always wondered what it looks like... does it look like a shelf cloud? Does it look like a traditional
thunderstorm base cloud? I don't know lol

Interests:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 04:50:15 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Are you talking about that huge severe thunderstorm that I took a pic from last year in summer? Or are you talking about the hurricane?

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 10:56:38 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
Man, what I wish I could do -- I wish I could see the base cloud of a hurricane before it arrives.
Same here. And also *inside* the eye.
Pictures/video is one thing, but ti see it in real life would be quite another.
(Its very possible i have seen technically both, but that was at such a young age I remember nothing from it)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:30:06 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #38 on: March 31, 2019, 12:23:27 PM » Author: Cole D.
Sometimes I watch weather videos on YouTube. Although, I'm hoping we get some thunderstorms around here soon, but lately the weather hasn't rained much. Or the rain we have gotten hasn't been heavy or with thunderstorm.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 07:32:24 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Sometimes I watch weather videos on YouTube. Although, I'm hoping we get some thunderstorms around here soon, but lately the weather hasn't rained much. Or the rain we have gotten hasn't been heavy or with thunderstorm.

You have your lightning detector with you? I know I have a bunch. lol

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #40 on: March 31, 2019, 09:27:49 PM » Author: Cole D.
You have your lightning detector with you? I know I have a bunch. lol

No, I don't have one. But I was thinking of getting on of the Acurite weather stations that has the lightning detector built in. Since my weather station had stopped working, and I hadn't gotten a new one yet.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #41 on: March 31, 2019, 10:32:00 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I'd like to get a weather station (or even better build one using a Raspberry Pi or Audrino)
We got 4-5" of snow friday evening/night. Part of the same weather-system produced a small tornado out on the eastern planes of CO friday afternoon. By this afternoon nearly all that snow is gone.

I've also found this site: stormtrack.org/community interesting to look around at. Should be some good reading & info there.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #42 on: April 02, 2019, 08:37:42 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I'd like to get a weather station (or even better build one using a Raspberry Pi or Audrino)
We got 4-5" of snow friday evening/night. Part of the same weather-system produced a small tornado out on the eastern planes of CO friday afternoon. By this afternoon nearly all that snow is gone.

I've also found this site: stormtrack.org/community interesting to look around at. Should be some good reading & info there.

Which one? So far I got two weather stations (one for accuracy of wind measurement), so far the LaCrosse station is holding up well. The Acurite ones looses signal from time to time.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #43 on: April 02, 2019, 08:46:48 PM » Author: Cole D.
I had an Acurite 3 in 1 with indoor/outdoor humidity, temp and wind speed. But the outside unit had a bunch of carpenter ants build a nest in it, even though it wasn't near a nest. So it stopped working, and I haven't replaced it yet. We still use the inside display because it still gives the time, date, and inside temp/humidity, but nothing outside.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #44 on: April 02, 2019, 09:11:29 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: lightinglover8902
Which one? 
That I do not know .. going to have to try & research it. I don't want anything real expensive, but I also want something that's reliable/durable, not going to be demolished on the first hailstorm or 80-100mph windgust it sees, really needs to be able to take a beating .lol.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies