Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190036 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #585 on: April 27, 2020, 05:41:06 PM » Author: CEB1993
The tornado that struck last Saturday night was a confirmed F2. It literally developed a quarter mile away from me. I work in a well known orange hardware store and our property sustained some damage. Two garden sheds were torn apart and thrown across the street, signs in the parking lot were knocked down, and the outdoor garden area had a lot of misplaced and broken products.

At about 8:30 pm I walked outside and heard a lot of thunder and felt the cold downdrafts. I knew this beast would be a hail maker. The thunder got louder and more frequent over the next few minutes. At 9:10 pm it got eerily silent and then this storm absolutely exploded. I’ve never heard such a loud and terrifying sound! Hail pounded the metal roof and rain began falling in a swirling pattern. 100+mph wind gusts. The storm was rotating directly overhead  :o One of my coworkers claims he saw the vortex swirling right outside the building. The power went out at 9:15 pm and we (10 other employees and me) took shelter in the meeting room. I could barely hear any wind or thunder outside, but it passed in about 15 minutes and we closed early at 9:30.

Outside, my car was miraculously spared from this storms fury. I had a hard time driving home because full sized trees were down and power was out everywhere. Only a few stop lights were working. I consider myself blessed to come out of this unharmed. If that wind blew a different direction, it could have ripped the roof off or thrown a garden shed on top of my car. I’m still kinda shaken up from this storm  :-\

The damage was severe and it’s going to take a long time to clean up and repair around town. Thankfully no fatalities or injuries reported.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxcarolina.com/news/nws-ef-2-tornado-confirmed-near-taylors-took-roof-off-of-motel/article_cd632d78-87b0-11ea-8fe6-df5cac1c9c75.amp.html

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:45:23 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #586 on: April 27, 2020, 05:44:51 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
The tornado that struck last Saturday night was a confirmed F2. It literally developed a quarter mile away from me. I work in a well known orange hardware store and our property sustained some damage. Two garden sheds were torn apart and thrown across the street, signs in the parking lot were knocked down, and the outdoor garden area had a lot of misplaced and broken products.

At about 8:30 pm I walked outside and heard a lot of thunder and felt the cold downdrafts. I knew this beast would be a hail maker. The thunder got louder and more frequent over the next few minutes. At 9:10 pm it got eerily silent and then this storm absolutely exploded. Hail pounded the metal roof and rain began falling in a swirling pattern. 100+mph wind gusts. The storm was rotating directly overhead  :o One of my coworkers claims he saw the vortex swirling right outside the building. The power went out at 9:15 pm and we (10 other employees and me) took shelter in the meeting room. I could barely hear any wind or thunder outside, but it passed in about 15 minutes and we closed early at 9:30.

Outside, my car was miraculously spared from this storms fury. I had a hard time driving home because full sized trees were down and power was out everywhere. Only a few stop lights were working. I consider myself blessed to come out of this unharmed. If that wind blew a different direction, it could have ripped the roof off or thrown a garden shed on top of my car. I’m still kinda shaken up from this storm  :-\

The damage was severe and it’s going to take a long time to clean up and repair around town. Thankfully no fatalities or injuries reported.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxcarolina.com/news/nws-ef-2-tornado-confirmed-near-taylors-took-roof-off-of-motel/article_cd632d78-87b0-11ea-8fe6-df5cac1c9c75.amp.html

Wow man that sounds scary! Glad you were okay! And hopefully everyone else too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:46:33 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #587 on: April 27, 2020, 05:50:25 PM » Author: CEB1993

Wow man that sounds scary! Glad you were okay! And hopefully everyone else too.

Yes, we all came out unharmed. Everyone I know in town was safe too. I have officially ridden out a tornado!

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #588 on: April 27, 2020, 10:44:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
Yes, we all came out unharmed. Everyone I know in town was safe too. I have officially ridden out a tornado!
Sounds like a pretty scary experiance. Glad you're ok.
Yep you sure did!

The storm was rotating directly overhead  :o One of my coworkers claims he saw the vortex swirling right outside the building.
He very well could have...
I found the NWS damage survey & from the map there + google's maps ... it went right over the SW corner of that store's parkinglot.

8 miles is a is certainly a reasonable-length damage path. Plus 120mph winds at its max strength...
I'd say its lucky there were only 3 reported injuries.
They did mention large numbers of trees down.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #589 on: April 28, 2020, 03:37:07 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
There's a pretty good chance of severe weather today (especially in OK & surrounding states).
Stay safe / watch out for tornadoes/hail/etc

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #590 on: April 29, 2020, 09:11:11 AM » Author: CEB1993
There's a pretty good chance of severe weather today (especially in OK & surrounding states).
Stay safe / watch out for tornadoes/hail/etc

They’re calling for severe weather again for me this evening  ::) South Carolina can’t catch a break. 24 tornados so far this year in the state, on of which was the EF2 literally right outside my workplace  :o

Today we have heavy rain and strong gusty winds in the forecast. I’m going to be on high alert for tornadoes. After actually experiencing one, they are no joke and can strike faster than you can think.

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #591 on: April 29, 2020, 09:29:38 AM » Author: suzukir122
@CEB1993, yeah an EF2 is pretty bad. From what you describe it doesn't sound like it'll be as bad as
what it was the other day. Hopefully it's not.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #592 on: April 29, 2020, 12:57:48 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
They’re calling for severe weather again for me this evening 
Here's what they're showing for the  risk areas today.
(this time also including the text/description part)

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #593 on: April 29, 2020, 01:02:40 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
And check out this 'chain' of severe thunderstorm warnings from last night (9:56pm mountain time)

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #594 on: April 29, 2020, 01:37:05 PM » Author: suzukir122
Over here we just got a small rain/wind storm. Nothing severe but I got to see the unorganized base cloud and everything.
This wasn't a thunderstorm though. Just a small rain shower with a little wind. But seeing everything in detail with
no trees in the way... that was awesome. I saw the slight rain "curtains" from the base cloud before it passed.
Just a rain shower...
Dude... severe thunderstorms will be absolutely fantastic to film here during the day... this is something I really have to bare in mind.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #595 on: May 08, 2020, 12:07:25 AM » Author: CEB1993
Two days ago on May 5 I got slammed with a wave of severe thunderstorms and heavy rain. We got some small hail and a total of 3 inches of rain in 24 hours. South Carolina just can’t catch a break this year  :-\

I sat out in my car on my lunch break and saw some scary looking clouds rolling in. I saw some of the biggest, closest lightning bolts I’d ever seen and then a monsoon of pea sized hail began to fall. Thankfully these hailstones were tiny and didn’t dent my car. The hail lasted less than 5 minutes. After the initial hail producing storm, it rained heavily for the next two hours with constant rumbling thunder. If I wasn’t at work, I’d take a nap. Rainfall and gentle thunder are really relaxing for me. I think we’re already above average for May rainfall.

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #596 on: May 16, 2020, 09:36:00 PM » Author: Cole D.
On the Weather Channel I saw the update on the tropical depression that will probably develop into tropical storm Arthur.

It's supposed to affect the Outer Banks of NC, along Cape Hatteras.

I can't believe we already are having tropical depressions in May!  :o

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #597 on: May 16, 2020, 10:36:43 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Cole D.:
Yep saw that earlier & was just preparing to post on it.
Forecast to become a tropical storm next week.
For now just known as tropical depression One, it'll get a name of Arthur if/when it becomes a tropical storm.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #598 on: May 17, 2020, 04:51:13 AM » Author: dor123
Link (Untranslated)
https://www.israelweather.co.il/forecast/week_5.html

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #599 on: May 17, 2020, 10:21:52 PM » Author: CEB1993
Tropical Storm Arthur has officially developed! It's a relatively weak tropical storm with 45 mph winds. It will cause some rough surf along SC beaches and bring some wind and rain to the Outer Banks of NC.

They're calling for rain and thunderstorms 5 days in a row where I am. We might have some flooding and saturated ground as a result. I'm not sure if all this rain will be coming from Arthur or if it's from another system. I think the way the tropical storm is rotating off the coast of SC and GA is drawing moisture up from the Gulf of Mexico. That means inland SC will get a long lasting trail of rain this week.

Hurricane season officially begins June 1, so a named storm this early is kind of ominous. I've heard rumors that 2020 could be a rough hurricane season. We shall see...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:24:40 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies