Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190040 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #630 on: July 06, 2020, 11:14:54 PM » Author: CEB1993
A tropical disturbance from the Gulf of Mexico is moving from the panhandle of Florida and across the SE United States bringing me a lot of rain tonight and tomorrow. I’m expecting up to an inch of rain the next 24 hours. The humidity will be high and it’s going to be off and on heavy rain showers tonight and tomorrow.

The thick cloud cover will hold down temperatures. A forecasted high of 76F is chilly for July standards where I live. Definitely going to be a soggy 24 hours.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #631 on: July 07, 2020, 01:20:59 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
A tropical disturbance from the Gulf of Mexico is moving from the panhandle of Florida and across the SE United States bringing me a lot of rain tonight and tomorrow.
I wish it was heading for me instead .LOL. could really use a good rainstorm...we're basically in droufgt conditions here now.
The humidity can stay away though. I'll keep my 16% ...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #632 on: July 07, 2020, 06:11:31 PM » Author: CEB1993
I wish it was heading for me instead .LOL. could really use a good rainstorm...we're basically in droufgt conditions here now.
The humidity can stay away though. I'll keep my 16% ...

Didn’t get quite as much rain as expected here. We got two short and heavy downpours and a lot of drizzle and mist. The humidity makes it feel gross outside! I could do without the humidity too but tis’ the season here in the South. I’m glad to work indoors  :)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #633 on: July 07, 2020, 08:17:19 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
A few weeks ago we had a heat wave and the week after that, I went to visit my grandparents and the week was just rainy and dreary...of course! Now we’re back to the heat wave!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #634 on: July 11, 2020, 05:13:19 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Apparently lightning struck a pole in Laconia today 2 wires were down when we drove by, power was out for a few hours! Police were directing traffic away from the scene and since the lights were out.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #635 on: July 17, 2020, 01:30:35 PM » Author: Cole D.
We had last Saturday afternoon, what I think was supercell storm. Sky got very dark and it was windy, at first there were a few lightning strikes in the distance. Then it stopped lightning, and the wind got very strong (probably tropical storm force winds) and the air cooled down quickly. The wind was so strong, the water had white caps and you could smell and feel the water in the air. It was similar, to being at the sea and you can feel and smell the salt water even away from the ocean.

There was some rain after, but the wind part of the storm lasted probably 30 minutes before it ever started to rain.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #636 on: July 18, 2020, 08:48:10 PM » Author: CEB1993
We had last Saturday afternoon, what I think was supercell storm. Sky got very dark and it was windy, at first there were a few lightning strikes in the distance. Then it stopped lightning, and the wind got very strong (probably tropical storm force winds) and the air cooled down quickly. The wind was so strong, the water had white caps and you could smell and feel the water in the air. It was similar, to being at the sea and you can feel and smell the salt water even away from the ocean.

There was some rain after, but the wind part of the storm lasted probably 30 minutes before it ever started to rain.

@Cole D, Are you somewhere in Florida near the beach? Those beach thunderstorms have always amazed me. Even here in South Carolina, I’ve witnessed some fierce storms at the beach near Charleston. It’s a lot like what you describe with skies becoming dark and strong winds. The thunder always seems louder with coastal storms. After their fury, they are over as quickly as they began, leaving behind steamy and humid conditions. I love a good afternoon thunderstorm! I remember walking on the beach at night and seeing heat lighting out over the ocean. The heat lighting is reflections of lightning strikes on clouds. Nature is so beautiful!

Today it was 100 degrees where I live. First 100 degree day of the year. I’m used to the SC heat, but I definitely prefer cooler climates. We had a little bit of thunder, but the storms passed us by today.

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #637 on: July 19, 2020, 03:12:25 PM » Author: Cole D.
@Cole D, Are you somewhere in Florida near the beach? Those beach thunderstorms have always amazed me. Even here in South Carolina, I’ve witnessed some fierce storms at the beach near Charleston. It’s a lot like what you describe with skies becoming dark and strong winds. The thunder always seems louder with coastal storms. After their fury, they are over as quickly as they began, leaving behind steamy and humid conditions. I love a good afternoon thunderstorm! I remember walking on the beach at night and seeing heat lighting out over the ocean. The heat lighting is reflections of lightning strikes on clouds. Nature is so beautiful!

Today it was 100 degrees where I live. First 100 degree day of the year. I’m used to the SC heat, but I definitely prefer cooler climates. We had a little bit of thunder, but the storms passed us by today.

Yes, but not near beach. We had another storm today where wind picked up strong with black clouds and rained soon after. No buildup like this other storm though.

I don't know about others, but I enjoy the rain sound of a good rainstorm. But my favorite part of a thunderstorm is that buildup with dark gray or blue sky, and the wind picks up and you can feel the moisture in the air. For me it's even better, if that's a longer buildup before the rain starts. There's sort of an anticipation before the rain, for me anyway. Lightning striking close, I don't like as much, as dangerous, but I do like the sudden rumbling of thunder to alert you that a storm is rolling in.

Also two nights ago, I looked out the window around 11:30 and could see the lightning reflections in the sky, like you describe, from distant storms.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 03:16:11 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #638 on: July 19, 2020, 03:19:14 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Cole D, do you know if there was rotation with the other storm you talked about? If no rotation, it was definitely not a Supercell.
Sounds more like a Severe Thunderstorm than anything.
Speaking of that, we've got thunderstorms heading our way here in Ohio. None of which look severe, but they are still in the process
of developing. That, and we've got high temps, and high humidity today. I work in a couple hours, and I planned on taking my motorcycle,
but I can't due to these storms heading our direction.
I WISH I could view a beach thunderstorm... especially a Supercell one, with the classic UFO base cloud. The most severe a thunderstorm
can possibly become, all in distant view. That'd be awesome.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #639 on: July 24, 2020, 02:14:42 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
There is now a Tropical Storm in the gulf, and its expected to make landfall in Corpus Christi, TX Saturday...

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #640 on: July 24, 2020, 11:43:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yep..saw that tropical storm on the weather map. Forecast to strengthen into a hurricane before it makes landfall Saturday.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #641 on: July 25, 2020, 11:50:26 AM » Author: icefoglights
Currently hunkered down in Corpus Christi for Hanna's landfall.  The Weather Channel didn't send Jim Cantore so it can't be too bad  :lol:

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #642 on: July 25, 2020, 02:28:00 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: icefoglights
Currently hunkered down in Corpus Christi for Hanna's landfall. 
Are you stormchasing icefoglights?
either way, if it passes over where your at...video the eyewall & inside the eye, then post a link here.
No hiding from storms .LOL.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #643 on: July 25, 2020, 02:29:07 PM » Author: Cole D.
Currently hunkered down in Corpus Christi for Hanna's landfall.  The Weather Channel didn't send Jim Cantore so it can't be too bad  :lol:

:lol: Be safe!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #644 on: July 28, 2020, 11:36:53 PM » Author: CEB1993
We’re about to get hammered by a heavy thunderstorm tonight at midnight. I could feel it coming with the thick humidity. I got a cool lightning show as I drove home from work tonight. Flickering like my preheat fluorescents  8)

Here’s a powerful cell moving east from northern GA toward my area in SC. The main threat with this one is heavy rain and flash flooding. Glad I’m home for the night!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies