Author Topic: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb  (Read 12686 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #45 on: December 27, 2020, 01:10:59 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I'd be fine with a WiFi connected LED...as long as it and its app does NOT require internet access to function.
(As it is, I already have 2 wired/WiFi networks in the house.. One for computers & stuff that I need internet, one for stuff that doesn't need it.)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:36 AM » Author: mrboojay
I quite enjoy my smart bulbs.  I have them in a couple places and it’s neat to use my voice to control them or change color temperature to set a different mood.  I very much enjoy old lighting but I’m an electronics nut so I enjoy the new ones as well.  I also have a couple smart switches fir controlling my fixtures if I don’t want to fill them up with smart bulbs (pricy). 

Also, for those that want to control them without internet or phone app, that’s very hard to do, and if you give them a remote, they are no better then the really cheap stuff with limited functionality.   Smart bulbs have too many features to not use voice or an app.  (Bluetooth could be a thing but still need a phone).

But yeah, I enjoy that stuff, it’s a lot of fun to play with, I’ve got different lighting for just about every need in the house.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 06:43:18 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
Does anybody know what settings I can use on the LIFX lamps that can simulate Mercury Vapor and High-Pressure Sodium?
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #48 on: January 14, 2021, 08:40:08 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: mrboojay
Also, for those that want to control them without internet or phone app, that’s very hard to do, and if you give them a remote, they are no better then the really cheap stuff with limited functionality.   Smart bulbs have too many features to not use voice or an app.  (Bluetooth could be a thing but still need a phone).
I'm fine with one that needs an app (which I'd put on a tablet rather than a phone). But it'd have to work  without  internet .LOL. there is truly zero need for that functionality-wize...

Quote from: LightUpMyLife
Does anybody know what settings I can use on the LIFX lamps that can simulate Mercury Vapor and High-Pressure Sodium?
I don't know how the lifx  app actually displays things but:
For MV set:
Red to 0%
Green to 100%
Blue to 100%
That will get you close...then play around with the green & blue a little bit & you'll have it.

For HPS set:
Red to 100%
Green to 50%
Blue to 0%
Again that will get you close...you may then have to go up to around 75% on the green.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #49 on: January 16, 2021, 04:02:34 PM » Author: mrboojay
Yeah that’s why I mentioned the Bluetooth, they could be controlled solely from that.  One of the reasons they probably don’t exist is updates (which could also be done with Bluetooth) and probably what data tracking they can get from a lightbulb.  Like, you know Google is tracking stuff from their C by GE pairing.

But then it isn’t a smart bulb and can’t be used with a smart home , so it’d be another type of bulb.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #50 on: January 16, 2021, 11:28:34 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I actually do have a bluetooth controllable bulb.
If I remember right, its app isn't spyware - didn't even attempt an internet connection.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #51 on: January 16, 2021, 11:37:00 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'm fine with one that needs an app (which I'd put on a tablet rather than a phone). But it'd have to work  without  internet .LOL. there is truly zero need for that functionality-

You can probably get most wifi smart bulbs and devices working on a local only basis if you block them from accessing the internet using your router settings after the initial pairing. Unfortunately while most should work that way you'll have to check them yourself.

I have the following presets for my Lifx lamp:

HPS - 58°, slider to 2/3
/DX MV - 165°, slider to 1/2
Aged /DX MV - 153°, slider to 1/3
Clear MV -  165°, slider to max
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 05:34:46 PM » Author: Miles

There are programs and formulas available online that can help compute spectrum wave lengths into RGB values.

Also check this chart out ;)
Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #53 on: January 19, 2021, 05:44:48 PM » Author: Miles

Yeah, you're just gonna end up getting subpar gadgets worthy of QVC or 90's TV shopping channels, with remotes and gimmicky accessories that you're gonna lose.

I think at that point, Internet isn't a luxury anymore, and is just a utility, no different than gas, water and power. So as far as asking "what-ifs" in case of a network failure, it's irrelevant today, no different than buying a stove and asking what if the gas gets shut-off?  :laugh:
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies