Author Topic: Sox Street Light  (Read 8739 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Sox Street Light « on: November 14, 2019, 08:03:06 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I have seen some very overpriced SOX street lighting on eBay. Do you know where I can get one for a cheap price? Let me know!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:58:47 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
I have seen some very overpriced SOX street lighting on eBay. Do you know where I can get one for a cheap price? Let me know!

I would see what mdcastle can do for you. He purchased all of those used SOX streetlights in auction. Other than that I don't know. If you're referring to those $700 AEL SOX streetlights on eBay, those were very expensive fixtures when AEL used to make them. Are they really overpriced or are they simply priced higher than you want to pay for one? As Steve said we don't know what that seller paid for those. Like that seller though, I myself have raised my prices on eBay. Too many fees are taken out of your sales as an eBay seller to not make any profit.

If they're too expensive I'd just wait for a better deal.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 07:15:51 AM » Author: Rommie
I would see what mdcastle can do for you. He purchased all of those used SOX streetlights in auction. Other than that I don't know. If you're referring to those $700 AEL SOX streetlights on eBay, those were very expensive fixtures when AEL used to make them. Are they really overpriced or are they simply priced higher than you want to pay for one? As Steve said we don't know what that seller paid for those. Like that seller though, I myself have raised my prices on eBay. Too many fees are taken out of your sales as an eBay seller to not make any profit.

If they're too expensive I'd just wait for a better deal.

It's not about making a profit for me, it's about doing what I can to ensure the survival of these lamps. I'm a collector not a trader, I don't need to make a profit. It's obviously nice when I do, but it's not the be all and end all of it.

If I were to come into possession of a lot of lamps I would either sell them at cost or even give them away to a fellow collector, maybe just covering shipping costs.

On the other hand, if I were a trader, I would set my prices at a level that people would realistically pay, that's basic business economics. I'm willing to bet that everyone on this site has seen stuff on eBay that sits there for months or even years and doesn't sell. If the seller really wants to shift them, they'll set their prices at a level that people are willing to pay. It's a buyer's market; no point in paying to rent a warehouse full of stuff that doesn't sell. If an item costs you $500 or whatever, think "do I stand a realistic chance of getting my money back on this..?" - if not, don't buy it in the first place. Don't pay through the nose for something then complain people won't pay even more.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 07:31:56 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 07:33:05 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
Like I said, when it comes to hundreds of dollars in costs, it's economics to an extent. If you think about it, true collectors of classic street lights would rather pay more for a quality fixture than fool with an old junker or modify it so much that it becomes another wall blaster.

Yeah same for me. I have sold items on eBay before at just high enough of a price to cover shipping just to get rid of the item. However with how high my monthly eBay selling fees bills have been, I'm not giving anything away anymore. I have to order the boxes, packing materials, tape, etc. Not worth my time to just give something away. I once had a buyer offer me $5 for a sprinkler head I was selling. My asking price was like $20 or $30, with free shipping. I responded that I could not sell it for $5 because shipping was going to cost me more than $10 just to send it to him. So he increased his offer and sent another offer of $6. Seriously? Did he not understand that I'm going to have to pay at least $10 in shipping? The stupidity of people amazes me.

Honestly, myself though, I would send a seller a message to see if they are flexible on their price at all. If not, then oh well. If I really want the item I'll pay what the asking price is.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 07:41:37 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
It's not about making a profit for me, it's about doing what I can to ensure the survival of these lamps. I'm a collector not a trader, I don't need to make a profit. It's obviously nice when I do, but it's not the be all and end all of it.

If I were to come into possession of a lot of lamps I would either sell them at cost or even give them away to a fellow collector, maybe just covering shipping costs.

On the other hand, if I were a trader, I would set my prices at a level that people would realistically pay, that's basic business economics. I'm willing to bet that everyone on this site has seen stuff on eBay that sits there for months or even years and doesn't sell. If the seller really wants to shift them, they'll set their prices at a level that people are willing to pay. It's a buyer's market; no point in paying to rent a warehouse full of stuff that doesn't sell. If an item costs you $500 or whatever, think "do I stand a realistic chance of getting my money back on this..?" - if not, don't buy it in the first place. Don't pay through the nose for something then complain people won't pay even more.

Yeah it is easier and faster to move items if they are priced right, or low. But not everybody is willing to take the loss. I have a friend who sells on eBay heavily. He's got like thousands of active listings for sale. So he doesn't care if items sit in his storage/garage for an extended time. He's had high dollar items like couple thousand dollar irrigation pumps sit on eBay for several years and finally sell. He didn't care because he made lots of profit. He actually is the one who's been teaching me that. He's been my local "eBay selling mentor" and taught me the ropes of how to sell on eBay. He has told me many times not to lower my price and lose money just to sell an item quickly. Wait and eventually somebody will want the item badly enough to pay your price.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:51:10 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
I was looking at some of the insanely funny forum posts on Gallery of Lights last night and happen to notice that you post there as well. I did not know you had 60+ street lights. You have a good collection already! Mostly cobra's?

Lol. Oh Steve. . . . :D

Yeah I started out on Gallery of Lights. That's why I have pictures on there. I originally actually only set up an account here on Lighting Gallery to get in contact with people back when Gallery of Lights went offline a few years ago. I kept my account here though. I haven't posted pics here yet because I'm trying to hold out until I become a lineman and buy property and a house. I'm going to have a pole where I will install my streetlights and photograph them. So I didn't want to start posting pics until then. I might start posting some pics soon though.

Last time a counted I have over 70 streetlights. I think this number is just the cobraheads but I can't remember if I included other fixtures. I'm pretty sure that's just cobraheads. I also have many yardblasters plus some HID floods, etc.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:05 AM » Author: Rommie
Yeah it is easier and faster to move items if they are priced right, or low. But not everybody is willing to take the loss. I have a friend who sells on eBay heavily. He's got like thousands of active listings for sale. So he doesn't care if items sit in his storage/garage for an extended time. He's had high dollar items like couple thousand dollar irrigation pumps sit on eBay for several years and finally sell. He didn't care because he made lots of profit. He actually is the one who's been teaching me that. He's been my local "eBay selling mentor" and taught me the ropes of how to sell on eBay. He has told me many times not to lower my price and lose money just to sell an item quickly. Wait and eventually somebody will want the item badly enough to pay your price.
Or maybe they won't, it depends on what it is you're selling and how much competition there is. If there are hundreds of people selling similar items at lower prices, you'll never shift them. As I said, selling on eBay isn't a business for me, so I'm not bothered about profit. As far as lamps go, to me it's about preserving them; if I were to come into possession of (say) 50 180W SOX lamps, I'd keep a couple for myself and either sell the rest at cost or even give them away, just to ensure as many people as possible get a chance to own one.

Ah well, I can dream, it's unlikely to ever happen  :-\ :-*

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 08:04:59 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
That's fantastic. I did not know you had that many! I visit the sight once in a while and enjoy some of the posts, especially the insanely funny ones. I think Joe got too many irons in the fire and had to back off overseeing the site.

Yeah some of the fixtures pictured in my GoL gallery I may not own anymore. There are also some that I own but don't/may not have  pictures of on there. I have duplicates too though. I have several OV-15's, OV-25's, as well as a whole pallet of NOS in box 175 watt mercury vapor Thomas & Betts 113's. I guess it all still counts towards the number of fixtures I own though. I still own them. It's just not variety.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 08:25:43 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
Got any of the A/E 113's from ITT?

No but I wish I did though.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 08:48:37 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
About 5 years ago I bought some A/E fixtures and I forgot what date they were built(or who built them)but they had 114 on the end of the boxes as the item number.

Did they have photocontrol receptacles? Supposedly the 114 was the model for the 115 without a photocontrol receptacle. I can't find a spec sheet online to confirm this.
We're probably going to be shut down soon for going off the topic of SOX streetlights.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 09:03:43 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
Yea, the usual suspects will be calling while they do the same. LOL

LMAO!

Regarding the original topic though, best option right now is to contact mdcastle and see what kind of deal he may have planned on the rescued SOX streetlights. Other than that, pay $700 for a new one on eBay.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 09:16:54 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
The NEW SOX fixtures are not cheap, that's for sure.

Well if one wants them badly enough, it's the price to be paid. I've spent several thousand dollars recently stocking up on SOX lamps. And with the price they cost, unfortunately I don't have much to show for my thousands of dollars spent. Just a few boxes of lamps. I have to pay for lineman school in weeks, but I wanted these SOX lamps badly enough that I spent the money. Most of it on credit unfortunately. So I'll be paying interest too. My parents and friends all told me that I need to focus on priorities right now which is getting a career and my life going. But who knows what will happen to SOX lamp availability. They all told me I can just wait and there will always be some for sale on eBay, etc. But I wanted to order cases so I bit the bullet.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 12:22:12 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
All the points made about the sellers and such are very good and valid.

Must keep in mind though that there are some out there like maybe 3-5% that just ask outragious prices hoping someone with deep pockets will do it. Especially if it is lighting like Sox and the seller is aware of our community .there have been reports of this here. (Not you HPS250R2)

It also will depend on how much you need the item. I go in ebay for deals and bargains but when i need something bad enough Ill eat the higher cost because whats an extra $50 spent going to mean to me in 5 years? Id be kicking myself if i saved 50 and dont have the item lol.

In keeping with the topic at hand here, Sox and their fixtures are getting rarer by the day so go get em now because in 6 months itll be harder.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:23:57 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 12:32:21 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
All the points made about the sellers and such are very good and valid.

Must keep in mind though that there are some out there like maybe 3-5% that just ask outragious prices hoping someone with deep pockets will do it. Especially if it is lighting like Sox and the seller is aware of our community .there have been reports of this here.

It also will depend on how much you need the item. I go in ebay for deals and bargains but when i need something bad enough Ill eat the higher cost because whats an extra $50 spent going to mean to me in 5 years? Id be kicking myself if i saved 50 and dont have the item lol.

In keeping with the topic at hand here, Sox and their fixtures are getting rarer by the day so go get em now because in 6 months itll be harder.

Yeah I am pretty sure I know who we're talking about. The same seller who has those SOX streetlights? They are active on this site with an account here I think. Being an eBay seller I get it. I'm not in it to give stuff away as others have mentioned above. With the fees eBay charges I need to make a profit. My monthly bill has been in the couple hundred dollars now for a while. Every month. Gotta make good profit to cover that couple hundred dollars in fees plus make money in the end.

SOX getting so rare is why I bit the bullet and spent several thousand dollars stocking lamps. Sadly, because of how expensive each lamp is, all I have to show for it is a few cases of lamps. Home Depot now has the 18 watt marked as out of stock. So this could mean Philips is out of stock? I hope not.
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Sox Street Light « Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 12:41:16 PM » Author: FGS
SOX getting so rare is why I bit the bullet and spent several thousand dollars stocking lamps. Sadly, because of how expensive each lamp is, all I have to show for it is a few cases of lamps. Home Depot now has the 18 watt marked as out of stock. So this could mean Philips is out of stock? I hope not.

Wait, Home Depot sell/sold LPS bulbs? :o

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies