Author Topic: Time to say goodbye to...  (Read 10581 times)
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Time to say goodbye to... « on: June 02, 2020, 01:48:21 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Are there any lights you know of that will soon disappear?

Here in California, on the I-405 freeway, they're replacing a whole bunch of old overpasses that had a bunch of mercury recessed underpass lights with new ones. The new ones will not have underpass lights.

On the I-10, I noticed a 10 mile improvement project will be going on. In that designated 10 mile stretch, it seems like these lights will disappear: a whole bunch of recessed mercury lights with curved refractors (I-10 and I-15 interchange), some HPS lowbays (Miliken Avenue overpass), some HPS recessed underpass lights with curved refractor bowls (Haven and Archibald Avenues with Archibald having some LED retroffited ones), a lone mercury teardrop underpass pendant light (Vineyard Avenue overpass) and a lone recessed mercury underpass light (Overpass before Euclid Avenue one the west side - that one has a broken glass and it has a very nice BT-28 coated lamp that will soon meet its end sometime later in June and early July :'(). The improvement project should be done in 2023.

On the 60 freeway, there is also an improvement project going on there too. A good amount of mercury and fluorescent sign lights have been replaced already. Although interestingly enough, some of the old signs have been spared replacement.

Kind of lighted related, but there will also be a whole bunch of vintage poles replaced as well (double guys, ones with ball pole tops, Weld-Rites, and Union Metal [Marbelite] poles).

The new lights will most likely be GE ERS2s or AEL ATB0s on Ameron metal poles. Based on what I've seen so far, I think the GEs will be more likely to be installed.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 02:05:00 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:11:48 AM » Author: Michael
There is a village near my home which has a road across the village lit by about a dozen fluorescent street lights. The lights are installed on over head power lines. These lines are going to be removed and with them the street lights.

Some of these lights are already reserved for my collection. 
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:08:51 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
The piscatiqua bridge for I95 is removing its M400As and AEL ATB2s and either reinstalling the LEDs, or replace them all.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 10:12:45 AM » Author: HPS_250
A GE M400 MV fixture on a CalTrans freeway. Everything around it is LED, so I would guess that it will be replaced.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 10:14:39 AM » Author: Cole D.
Nothing I know of in particular. But on the highways, the DOT is replacing fixtures with LED as the lamps fail. Just spot replacement though, no group replacements. So some GE M400A2 Powr/Door, AEL 125 and Cooper OVX and OVF fixtures will get replaced over time instead of relamped.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 12:20:28 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
When driving around on the freeways here I spotted a lone GE M-400A (latest gen) 310w HPS light still standing. All of its friends got replaced with Solarmax LED street lights (one got replaced with a GE Evolve ERS-2). It's lamp is still looking good so hopefully it can hang on.

I think it's obvious, but Caltrans is replacing the SOX streetlights that still remain on the freeways further south of where I am. Half of the missouts work while half don't.

Also, all the cities that still have SOX. There's quite a few that still do, so when I or someone else heads down there we'll update you.
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 12:32:25 PM » Author: Binarix128
All the HPS and MH fixtures are all going to LED slowly, but in my sector MH fixtures are replacing many HPS GE M250A2. The bad this is that I don't know where fixtures are diposed to save one.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 01:21:05 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
All the HPS and MH fixtures are all going to LED slowly, but in my sector MH fixtures are replacing many HPS GE M250A2. The bad this is that I don't know where fixtures are diposed to save one.

If you see someone taking down one of the lights, you can ask them. Or you can contact whoever maintains or owns the lights.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 12:14:15 PM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Well, on the pole in our yard that they are replacing, it`s either time to welcome the powr/bracket to my collection, or say goodbye to it. It all depends on if the Power company will let me have it.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 11:42:49 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Well I was on the 60 freeway today and it seems like Caltrans is no longer installing new sign lights. :( They removed some of the existing ones and even some of the LED ones!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:45:56 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 12:16:50 AM » Author: High Intensity
Caltrans replaced a few GE M400s (some MV, Others retrofitted(?) HPS but with the old glareshields) with Solermax and Leotek LEDs recently.

On an unrelated note, Caltrans also put reflective tape rings around the traffic signals on some freeway entrance/exit ramps.
Well I was on the 60 freeway today and it seems like Caltrans is no longer installing new sign lights. :( They removed some of the existing ones and even some of the LED ones!
Out here, Caltrans has not relamped most of their sign lights in years, the ones that still work/have been relamped appear to be MV.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:18:43 AM by High Intensity » Logged
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 12:37:17 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Interesting, haven't seen the reflective tape rings on any of their signals around here yet.

Caltrans had just recently fixed some sign lights in my area. They relamped some of them but apparently some had dead ballasts so they put LED retrofits inside (haven't seen one - normal LED lamps most likely). The sign lights are MV though some are induction. When some of the induction ones died they installed new induction ones in their place. Though I don't know what they will do now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:05:03 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 05:31:21 AM » Author: Silverliner
Bad news.. The days are numbered for the lone M400 mercury on the 101 freeway in the SFV. Went under it tonight and it didn't work. The HPS lights on a street series circuit nearby were recently changed out to LED on new circuits.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 08:22:48 AM » Author: High Intensity
Lately, San Jose has been very aggressive in spot replacing dead & working SOX & HPS fixtures (with Leotek GCM and EC series fixtures).
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Time to say goodbye to... « Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 08:30:32 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
These guys  : https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5263&pos=5&pid=159041  The "South side mega fix" project is now running at full speed again and these 9 vintage lights which consist of 2-AEL125's , 1-AEL/ITT 25 , 1- OV-10 Clam-shell , 2-M400 split-doors , 3- thumb-latch style M-400's and several post-top ballasts!!! All appear to be MV and at least 1 of the 400's mas a clear-band lamp !!   :'(

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies