Author Topic: What "SOX" stands for?  (Read 5186 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
What "SOX" stands for? « on: June 21, 2020, 10:55:26 PM » Author: Binarix128
What "SOX" stands for?  ::)

I hate to sound like "U dumb boy" but I really want to know what it stands for and if "SOX" and "LPS" means the same. I know that you can explain me better than wikipedia or whatever.  :)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 11:14:51 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
SO is Sodium X is low pressure, but what the actual word X is, i do not know. And yes SOX & LPS are the same thing - just UK & US (respectively) terms for them.

SON & HPS are the same way - UK & US  terms.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:27:17 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe SOX stood for SOdium oXide, with the oxide being a reference to the metallic oxide heat retention layer on the inside of the outer bulb.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 12:47:00 AM » Author: dor123
SOX indeed means SOdium oXide.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 02:01:07 AM » Author: Xytrell
So SON is sodium... nitride? wut?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:12:42 AM » Author: dor123
SON isn't sodium. I don't know what is means. Only the British and Philips used this term for HPS lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 11:06:11 AM » Author: Rommie
SON isn't sodium. I don't know what is means. Only the British and Philips used this term for HPS lamps.
The SO in SON certainly does stand for sodium, not sure why N was used for HPS but that's what it means. I have a copy of the Philips Technical book on HPS lamps, I'll have to see if it mentions anything.

By the way, SOX and LPS aren't interchangeable; there are other forms of LPS, notably SLI (linear) and the older SO/H and SOI/H lamps. They are all LPS.

Incidentally, the X in SOX does indeed mean that the lamp has an infrared reflective coating on the inner side of the outer envelope.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 11:59:19 AM » Author: dor123
I suspecting that Philips was the first to use the SON name as it trademark, and in the UK, this name became a generic name for HPS lamp, and British manufacturers used this name on their HPS lamps.
This is what happen with Philips PL and Thorn 2D.

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 12:00:41 PM » Author: Max
The N in SON means "New" so as to make a clear distinction with the low-pressure sodium lamp family.
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 12:09:42 PM » Author: Binarix128
Wow, seems like there is quite a mistery around "SOX" and "SON".  :wndr:
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 03:09:36 PM » Author: Max
It's no longer a mystery ;)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 03:27:16 PM » Author: Rommie
The N in SON means "New" so as to make a clear distinction with the low-pressure sodium lamp family.
That's interesting, not an explanation I've heard before, thanks Max.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 03:46:07 PM » Author: sol
It's no longer a mystery ;)

Lamp manufacturers rarely draw random letters out of a hat to designate their products. Usually the letters directly mean something, or are a succession of versions, or both. It is the same for HQI, HQL, etc.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 05:36:19 PM » Author: joseph_125
Lamp manufacturers rarely draw random letters out of a hat to designate their products. Usually the letters directly mean something, or are a succession of versions, or both. It is the same for HQI, HQL, etc.

Yeah over here it was common for lamp manufacturers to use LU-(wattage) as the code for HPS lamps. In this case LU stood for LUcalox or LUmalux which were the trade names for HPS lamps from GE and Sylvania respectively.

Westingouse and Philips North America used the trade name Ceramalux for HPS and so their lamp codes were often C(wattage) instead.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 04:57:54 PM » Author: James
Very good question!

The original nomenclature was developed by Philips in 1932.

The first letter (S) in fact does not mean Sodium, but a Single arc tube.  Before this became popular there was a type having a double-folded arc tube, denoted by letter D.
The second letter (O) denotes an oxide-coated cathode.  Originally there were directly heated electrodes, and these types were denoted by letter A.
So up to the mid 1930s sodium lamps were available as the types DA, DO and SO.  I don't think there was ever a type SA.

In 1955 Osram-GEC invented the Integral lamps having a sealed outer jacket.  They denoted that by adding a letter I, creating the SOI family.

In 1959 BTH-Mazda invented the Linear lamps.  At first it was just called an SO Linear, but a few years later they broke the above system by calling it an SLI lamp with the L meaning Linear.  It seems the marketing people at the time did not understand the system used previously.  It was later recognised that they should have in fact called their new lamp the LOI.  But by then it was too late and the name SLI already stuck.  It was also generally felt by then that S = Sodium and any new lamp should begin with S in its name.  The company published some naming charts of their own in which they re-allocated the letter S to mean "Sodium", O to mean "One Cap" and the letter L to mean "Linear".

In 1963 Philips invented the improved Integral lamps having an infra-red reflective coating on the outer envelope.  These new types did stick to the original naming structure and were called SOX, in which X = eXtra efficient.  Of course, that also fitted the naming structure that had in the mean time become popular in Britain, so GEC's IR-coated lamps of 1964 were also called SOX.

In 1966 AEI-Mazda (the successor of BTH-Mazda) applied the same infrared reflective coating to its linear SLI lamps but did not change the type letters to reflect that improvement.  Once again that company diverted from the established practices - they should really have been called either SLX or LOX.

In 1965 Osram-GEC was first to introduce high pressure sodium lamps in Europe, but it did not assign any name to them.  The following year AEI-Mazda also introduced its HPS types and denoted those as SON, and as Max indicates the N simply meant New.  Philips in Holland also adopted the same name.

Finally in 1974, Thorn (the successor of Mazda) introduced a linear high pressure lamp.  You might think they would have called it the SLN, but once again they broke established practices and called it SON-TD, in which the TD means Tubular Double-Ended.  To add even more confusion, Osram-GEC then followed suit and launched its own linear high pressure lamp, and called that SON-L.  Then Osram-GmbH added its own linear variant and gave that the -TS suffix, but I have no idea why they chose S.

As a result the naming of sodium lamps has become totally chaotic and there are a lot of misunderstandings about what the letters mean.  The actual meaning also appears to have changed over time, and many books and manufacturers documents give conflicting descriptions of what the letters refer to.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:36:00 PM by James » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies