Author Topic: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection  (Read 3821 times)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 12:48:25 PM » Author: 589
Though I buy cases of the lamps I run D2D. Sometimes I might buy more than I need of something to use for a trade. I’ve personally done that with 50w MV ballasts and then later traded them for lamps😊

:lps:

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 12:49:42 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I have over 100 fixtures in my collection. And I will be buying property in the near future to build a house on and installing a few dozen poles and using street lights dusk to dawn to light my property. I need to stockpile lamps so I have plenty to last for all these fixtures that will be run dusk to dawn.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 12:53:14 PM » Author: Rommie
Over 100 of them..? And they're ALL going to be used regularly over several years..? If that's really the case, then fine. But it quite frankly disgusts me when people buy dozens or even hundreds of the same type of lamp and then just pile them up in cupboards or lofts or wherever. That's just plain wrong  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 12:59:16 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I'm not going to continue this conversation I don't have to give you a reason why I'm buying so many lamps. I will have a use for them to light my property that's all that matters.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 01:01:28 PM » Author: Rommie
If you're genuinely going to use them all, then I don't have a problem, it only annoys me when people hoard them. And we both know there are people that do.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 01:06:06 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I have big plans when I get my career going, to buy a big plot of land for my house and to have my own street light poles. If I for some reason end up changing my plans which I do not plan on doing, then I will likely sell the excess stock I don't need. For the time being I need to get ahold of what I can before these lamps are gone forever and I will not have a way to get them.
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 02:21:04 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Why do people buy lamps by the case and hoard them..? Do you really need so many..? Unless you have a dozen or more fixtures running dusk to dawn on a daily basis, you will never use them up, so why get them in the first place..?

Here, we do have a dozen or so 35W SOX lamps, but they're spares for the two fixtures we have running on a daily basis, so they will get used. But that's it; apart from that we only have maybe two or three at the most of any one lamp, if we get any more we're prepared to sell or trade them. If you have 100 lamps and are only using say 3, that's 97 lamps that aren't available for anyone else to buy. Not fair. Sorry, but that's how I see it.
If it's lamps that are still in production or generally available I don't see any problem with it.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 03:13:00 PM » Author: Rommie
If it's lamps that are still in production or generally available I don't see any problem with it.
Sadly, very little except L*D seems to be in production now. Certainly all SOX production is gone, and probably most incandescent and HID as well. It's just the mentality of hoarding I don't understand. Why buy more than you'll ever need in a lifetime..? It's not just lamps, either. We saw it some months back with toilet rolls when the COVID-19 crisis started. It's just crazy.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 03:15:25 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 03:27:16 PM » Author: Ash
There is no problem with buying cases of lamps that are not made anymore either

Many such lamps are not bought by general population at all - Things like SLI/H, possibly some of the less commonly used lamps. Lamp warehouses are businesses. They stock lamps not because they like lamps but because they want to make profit out of them. If they dont sell those lamps in 1, 5, 10 years, they might be heading for disposal after this time, and then really nobody will get them

Same if some government regulation comes into force that says existing stocks cannot be sold

If you want to care about anyone else from our community who might want the lamps, just offer them the option to buy the lamps from you. I bet you would offer partial box purchases whether the original seller allowed it or not, and i bet you would pack them by far safer than anyone else selling lamps online

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 04:55:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Ash, if you can find cases of SLI/H lamps, I can assure you I won't be the only one beating a path to your door..!  :sli:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 02:07:43 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
The problem with hoarding (in generally, not just lamps) is that many times hoarded stuff is improperly stored due to lack of good enough storage space and in long terms, that tends to lead stuff becoming unusable or broken.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Using cheap HID lamps vs collection « Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 08:46:31 AM » Author: LightsDelight
I'll always prefer to use cheap lamps in service so I don't use up any of my good ones and watching EOL lamps is nice IMO.

About the hoarding... I wouldn't call my collecting 'hoarding'. I try to get as much as I can but the stuff that shows up is not very special and not sought after. There aren't many people who collect lighting in Australia, the ones that do already have all the stuff that I come across so no real demand. I'm always keen for a trade but not really overseas beacause it is A: too expensive, B: going to bet busted, so I tend to trade stuff in my own region due to there being less headaches involved. Things that I have a soft towards I will snipe as soon as it comes to my attention.

Keep discharge lighting alive

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies