Author Topic: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps?  (Read 7369 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #45 on: November 25, 2020, 11:17:26 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Oh don't mistake what I said as griping. I know its common practice for bids to go that way. I just mean't I enjoy buying and securing the item then and there and not waiting on the bid to end or checking if i have to rebid etc. Too much hassle

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #46 on: November 25, 2020, 11:41:04 AM » Author: Rommie
That's why I use this site - it takes my maximum bid and places it in the last 10 seconds. If someone beats me, that's ok as I put in what I was prepared to pay. I might be annoyed a little if I don't get it, but that's how eBay auctions work.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #47 on: November 25, 2020, 12:36:12 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah to be honest for items I really want and it's an auction I'd tend to just let the bidding run and then see if I can snipe it if I can still afford the item at end of bid. I don't use 3rd party sniping tools but instead I'll manually input a bid at around 10 seconds left.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #48 on: November 25, 2020, 12:38:03 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
That's okay if the auction ends at a time convenient for you to be hovering over the bid button...  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #49 on: November 25, 2020, 12:40:41 PM » Author: joseph_125
That's okay if the auction ends at a time convenient for you to be hovering over the bid button...  :wndr:

I've actually had good luck with that as most auctions end at a convenient time for me to be in front of the computer. I guess it helps that most of the auctions I'm interested in are based in North America so not much of a timer difference. In some cases I'll just input a bid before I got to bed and hope for the best in the morning. 
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #50 on: November 25, 2020, 05:08:20 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Regarding eBay auctions , I personally don't think they should be allowed as it DOES have the possibility of causing some animosity between members trying to outbid each other (or running up the price on someone you don't like). If you find an item on auction the you know another member is looking for , instead of posting it in "Web Finds" just PM the member in question with the info/link .

As for bidding on auctions , if the auction ends at a convenient time I usually wait till about 2-3 sec. from the end to submit my bid . If I'm not going to be awake or home I enter my max and pray for the best!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #51 on: November 25, 2020, 09:47:29 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I brought that up in todays admin chat but they feel it should be ok to allow bids. I'm not sure how to manage the webfinds itself anymore because it has way to much stuff for me to sort through to keep updated. I'm really pushing to have it set up to auto delete posts after certain time. In the meantime it will no longer be maintained until a solution is found.

Administrator #5

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #52 on: November 25, 2020, 10:11:48 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've said this before , I don't see why cleaning dead listings should have to be done by you Admins ! I fail to see why it's so flippin' hard for the OP to either remove dead items or update links THEMSELVES !! I try to clean up my listings every couple weeks or so. It's not that hard !

And I agree that some sort of auto delete would seriously simplify the task of keeping the keeping the section "clean" 

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #53 on: November 25, 2020, 11:17:40 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think a auto delete on threads with less than a handful posts after 30, 45, or 60 days would be a reasonable rule. Any longer threads would be more likely to contain discussion so those get set aside for manual checking.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #54 on: November 25, 2020, 11:20:18 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Code may need to be written to make the auto delete happen, but making it advanced to leave topics that have discussion will add complexity to it. It will have to be up to the posts author to move the post themselves within the time given if they feel it has value.

Administrator #5

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #55 on: November 26, 2020, 01:14:51 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I just keep having feelings that someone really wants to ban European listings on the web finds section so that they cant give European members a chance. :curse: :curse:

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #56 on: November 26, 2020, 01:16:22 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Stop implying that I want to ban the UK ebay. If I had it my way to be honest at this point, I'd pull the webfinds entirely and allow no ebay listings.

Administrator #5

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #57 on: November 26, 2020, 01:35:58 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Stop implying that I want to ban the UK ebay. If I had it my way to be honest at this point, I'd pull the webfinds entirely and allow no ebay listings.
Most of the LG members know how to search through ebay themselves, and only if they can't find what they're looking for will ask for help.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #58 on: November 26, 2020, 02:25:40 PM » Author: joseph_125
I respectfully disagree, I've found the web finds to be a quite useful source of lamps, gear and fixtures.

And there's no agenda to ban UK or European listings. It's just eBay US and eBay Canada defaults the search to North America only so unless you search for UK specifically most people won't see them on eBay at all. As for the other counties, most people in the US do their searches in English and as such won't get any hits from countries where English isn't the predominate language.

To be honest, I would just take a hand off approach to the web finds and have it auto clear after 30 days or something. I think this thread has really run it's course anyway and strayed way to far from it's original topic.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #59 on: November 26, 2020, 02:28:57 PM » Author: Rommie
To be honest, I would just take a hand off approach to the web finds and have it auto clear after 30 days or something. I think this thread has really run it's course anyway and strayed way to far from it's original topic.
Agreed, I'm locking this thread now.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies