Author Topic: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby  (Read 5747 times)
LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Street luminaire collector of any kind.

Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « on: October 05, 2022, 10:31:05 AM » Author: LightDragon
I realized i had this posted in the wrong topic area so i moved it here.

Hi everyone i need some advice from my fellow lighting members on here. I'm experiencing some issues with members on Facebook that are basically bullying me and creating lies about me and other members. I'm not here to spread drama and no names will be mentioned here as i just need some answers is all. However I want to ask everyone a question because I've been hearing bad rep about a couple of the lighting groups on Facebook. What should I do regarding these issues. Should I just ignore them or is it best I leave those groups? I've spent a lot of time on YouTube doing videos and traveling the country to get photographs of streetlights and the treatment towards me is making me feel less motivated. I'm just not sure what I should do about these situations. If anyone has some helpful answers regarding this please feel free to share any helpful advice.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 10:43:13 AM by LightDragon » Logged

I am a Cooper OVD fan! Also mercury vapor is the best light there is...

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 11:10:07 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Bin Facebook!, ok l know that’s probably not the answer you want, but I personally won’t entertain social media, lighting groups on social media are not needed when you have a worldwide lighting forum here!
I know there has been some slight unrest on here in the past, but you don’t get the vicious keyboard warriors here like you do on social media!  ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 11:23:08 AM » Author: Burrito
Yeah, It's probably best if you get rid of FaceBook. It is not good for your mental health. Too many mean people on there and also people who spread certain things that aren't true

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 11:31:12 AM » Author: LightDragon
I feel bad because I'm not on here often anymore. I moved to Facebook because there was more people and it was very active. Unfortunately I've come to believe there are really jealous people out there that wanna attack me on there. I've also become very recognized in the lighting group as a very nice person and a dedicated collector and photographer of this stuff. It makes me very emotional when people bully me sometimes.

Molly

View Posts
View Gallery

The wild Lampent hates LEDs!

mollylovesreptiles UChSn_GuLy2eE43RAiEFyoEw mollylovesreptiles
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 11:33:38 AM » Author: Molly
I had to deal with toxic people in Facebook groups before. I told you some of the stories about them. What I did when I went through that is I blocked the toxic people who bothered me instead of responding back. People who are toxic in these groups are looking for a reaction from the victim. Some of the ways that helped me calm down are that I thought of the other hobbies that I like. Sometimes, I would take small breaks, not leave the groups, but get off of social media to do outdoor activities that I like. Keep doing, what you're doing, Ben. You're very strong!  :bulbman: 8) :)

If you want to use any of my photos, please ask me for permission, and make sure to add credit. Thank you! :love:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 12:54:54 PM » Author: Rommie
FarceBuke is a waste of space if you ask me. Same as most if not all of the rest of this so-called "social media" crud that permeates the internet. I have never been a member of any of them and I never will, they are far too intrusive. LG is as social as I get  ;D

Yep, do what has already been said; bin FB and do your best to simply ignore any idiots. If they follow you here (or are already members and start attacking you here) then report them to us and we'll deal with them. Bullying is not tolerated here, but please remember we are not able to take any action with regard to anything that happens off this site.

Best of luck, and keep us posted  :love:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 01:00:57 PM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 01:54:40 PM » Author: dor123
I don't have account on any social networking website, because of this and other reasons.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 02:13:36 PM » Author: rjluna2
I'm not involved with FB stupidity.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 02:46:42 PM » Author: Burrito
Same

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 03:32:07 PM » Author: Econolite03
I’d leave FB completely. If not, take a break to let things cool down and return at a later date. There’s always going to be mean people out there, and what I do is ignore them. They want your attention, so by not responding that gives them less of a reason to bother you. On top of that, your well-being comes first. Do what feels best for you. Facebook IMO is a pretty sketchy platform, so I don’t do it period.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 03:32:18 PM » Author: Medved
Someone hostile or mean? Just ignore and maybe block. Their stupidity will get them sooner or later...

No more selfballasted c***

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 06:04:17 PM » Author: LightDragon
Based on what everyone's telling me I may leave Facebook. However I'll stay on their but take a break. To be honest I'd rather post stuff here again as my gallery is pretty dead ATM. I'm sure you guys would love to see my photos from this year. I have a lot.

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 06:07:23 PM » Author: LightDragon
I've worked so hard to gain a good reputation in this hobby and I don't need others to ruin that for me. I'd hate to have a good photo album, good lighting collection, and great YouTube channel to just have it all taken away because I let someone get to me and ruin all my hard work. I guess responding to people makes it easier for them to bring me down.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #13 on: October 05, 2022, 08:56:37 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Ben , I agree with the others , Definitely leave that group ! The ONLY reasons I have facebook is for Marketplace and for a easy way to contact my friends in Maine . 

Facebook is WAY too much drama and crap for my liking ! 

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Need advice on how to deal with mean members of this hobby « Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 10:03:55 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I usually don't bother with those Facebook groups to be honest. I really only maintain a presence on Facebook for marketplace.

It's still social media, but you could look into just posting pictures on a Instagram instead if you just want a gallery.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies