Author Topic: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps  (Read 8596 times)
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « on: April 27, 2023, 11:49:58 AM » Author: Michael
Switzerland is banning all HID lamps after February 2027. The national ChemRVV directive concerning the Mercury content in lamps is not going to be extended after that date. That means all imports of HID lamps will be ceased.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 01:37:19 PM » Author: Burrito
 :'( I'm afraid the US is going to do the same next.
Does the ban affect second hand sale?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 01:49:58 PM » Author: Michael
No I don’t think that this will be affected.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 10:45:07 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have that feeling that the whole world will eventually have nothing but LED by the 2030s as legal lighting sources.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 11:22:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have that feeling that the whole world will eventually have nothing but LED by the 2030s as legal lighting sources.
...or some new "better" technology will have come along and collectors might want to be saving LEDs .lol.
There will probably still be some places where 'old technology' is being used. Countries where they don't have a good economy or allot of money/resources around and/or also don't care how 'green' they are environmentally.

-----
Either way.. LED or not-LED.. I doubt I'll even be around by the 2030's, so it ain't gonna make much of diff to me. .lol.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 10:15:43 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Oddly enough though, in a way, LED is still a tried and tested ‘old technology’, by this I mean their still, (even today),  utilising the 89 year old means of producing artificial light by ‘fluorescence’!  :D
Whether it be fluorescent, HID or diode it’s still UV radiation activating a phosphor coat!, and no matter what the tech is in 50 years time, I reckon fluorescence will always be a part of it!  8)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 06:22:46 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 11:54:50 AM » Author: Michael
That could be indeed the case.

Too bad that there is no proper and non- poisonous alternative to Mercury. Otherwise all HID could stay longer on the market.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 06:11:25 PM » Author: joseph_125
I suppose technically there are zero mercury alternatives to some HPS lamps, such as this but I suppose with the push for LEDs, the manufacturers probably won't be keeping such a niche product in production. Sadly any R & D into discharge based lighting stopped once LED took off or otherwise there might be more zero mercury discharge lamps on the market now.

And yeah, I'd imagine by 2030 there might be a new "latest and greatest" lighting tech and people might be complaining that the LEDs are better. Maybe by the 2040s they might be try to ban LEDs. Who knows.
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 03:23:44 AM » Author: RRK
Sad to see this. :( Swiss people were always known by a weighted conservative approach, we still see nice restored early-1900s paddle steamers with their original steam engines on Swiss lakes. Though with modern computer-controlled smokeless boilers inside :)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 03:25:30 PM » Author: Rommie
And another nail in the coffin of traditional lighting. I'm glad I won't be here for much longer, I don't think I could take a world completely devoid of anything but LED  :'(

You know what the crazy thing is..? I didn't mind them before they were forced upon us. While they were an alternative, such as 'Shall I use an incandescent or a CFL or an LED in this room..?' then I was fine with them. Once they started saying 'You WILL use LED', then my hackles were well and truly raised and I swore never to use one again >:( :curse:

Ok rant over, I'm out of here, night all  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 04:30:34 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The string of lamp bans happening all over the world makes it seem like collecting lighting is a stressful hobby since banned lamps are becoming harder to find and too precious to run every day as time progresses and NOS lamps get recycled and trashed.

Personally, one of my biggest fears with lamp bans is that they would require NOS lamps to get recycled and NOS fixtures designed for banned lamps to be scrapped.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 04:40:09 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 05:08:41 PM » Author: joseph_125
To be honest the worst part of these bans is they're justified in banning the other tech by saying LED is a alternative to using these mercury containing products which is basically just them saying "You are forced to use LED now, too bad" but since that sounds bad they do this roundabout way of explaining it instead. ::) It's sometimes funny reading the explanations they come up with to justify lamp bans. I remember when incandescents were being replaced by CFLs. One of the arguments against CFLs was their mercury content compared to incandescent only to be rebutted by them saying that an incandescent lamp emits more mercury over it's lifespan due to the higher energy use compared to a CFL. However that's probably only true if you get your electricity from coal, a source phased out in Ontario since the mid 2000s. 

IMO I'd rather see those bargain bin LED fixtures that aren't designed to be repaired and break after a few years banned. Looking at you LED panel troffers. I'd imagine the environmental impact of those things would be more than a properly disposed of modern low mercury fluorescent/HID lamp.

I highly doubt they would after old lamps and fixtures. Plus 90+% of older fixtures still in use now can be retrofitted to LED anyway so any argument about preventing the old hardware from being reused falls flat. The optics might not always be ideal but a fixture that can't be retrofitted to LED at all isn't that common.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 02:02:21 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Here in the US , coal is still VERY popular for electricity production ! I just love the ads for "clean burning coal !"  Yeah right !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #13 on: April 30, 2023, 02:28:01 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
To be honest the worst part of these bans is they're justified in banning the other tech by saying LED is a alternative to using these mercury containing products which is basically just them saying "You are forced to use LED now, too bad" but since that sounds bad they do this roundabout way of explaining it instead. ::) It's sometimes funny reading the explanations they come up with to justify lamp bans. I remember when incandescents were being replaced by CFLs. One of the arguments against CFLs was their mercury content compared to incandescent only to be rebutted by them saying that an incandescent lamp emits more mercury over it's lifespan due to the higher energy use compared to a CFL. However that's probably only true if you get your electricity from coal, a source phased out in Ontario since the mid 2000s. 

IMO I'd rather see those bargain bin LED fixtures that aren't designed to be repaired and break after a few years banned. Looking at you LED panel troffers. I'd imagine the environmental impact of those things would be more than a properly disposed of modern low mercury fluorescent/HID lamp.

I highly doubt they would after old lamps and fixtures. Plus 90+% of older fixtures still in use now can be retrofitted to LED anyway so any argument about preventing the old hardware from being reused falls flat. The optics might not always be ideal but a fixture that can't be retrofitted to LED at all isn't that common.

Prior to the Minamata convention, people often claimed that LED was the most energy efficient light source ever.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #14 on: April 30, 2023, 05:22:12 AM » Author: dor123
And you get way more mercury when you eat tuna than when you use HID and fluorescent lamps.
Also: LEDs are made using other toxic materials that fluorescent and HID lamps don't have.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies