Author Topic: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps  (Read 8599 times)
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #15 on: April 30, 2023, 08:34:43 AM » Author: RRK
Actually, nothing seriously toxic in GaN blue LED or its phosphor, nor in the electronics around. Production of them uses a lot of energy, of course, and some nasty things in chip making.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 08:37:43 AM » Author: dor123
What about gallium, arsenic, lead, etc...

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #17 on: April 30, 2023, 08:44:56 AM » Author: RRK
Gallium is relatively benign biologically, and is in milligram quantities, anyway. No arsenic in white LEDs. Lead is mostly excluded from modern ROHS compliant electronics.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #18 on: April 30, 2023, 10:45:08 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I suppose the LEDs themselves are fairly benign but the energy and chemicals required for production is a problem when modern LED fixtures aren't designed to be repaired. And yeah lead solder has been mostly deprecated modern electronics although hobbyists still use it since it's easier to use.

Prior to the Minamata convention, people often claimed that LED was the most energy efficient light source ever.

Not really just efficiency, I have a early LED lamp and the marketing on the box included snippets such as "Dimmable, Instant on light, Mercury and lead-free construction, Similar size and shape as regular bulbs, Quiet (no-hum) operation,  Emits virtually no head and will not fade fabrics or furnishings. " BTW, you're able to trim messages when you quote them instead of block quoting. That way you won't have 3/4ths of the message irrelevant to your reply. Or better yet, use the @username format for short replies like this.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #19 on: April 30, 2023, 11:35:45 AM » Author: Rommie
It's amazing how long we lasted with lead pipes in the house plumbing and lead covered cables for the wiring, not to mention the dreaded mercury in lamps and dental fillings. Don't know how I lived long enough to be such a cynical old cow, ye gods we do live in a nanny state these days, almost glad I'll be out of it soon  :-\

Call the Hazmat team, evacuate the city..! We've broken a CFL... ::)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #20 on: April 30, 2023, 12:31:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
Dental amalgams bring a up interesting point, I believe that there are mercury free alternatives to those just like how they claim there are mercury free alternatives to discharge lighting but yet I haven't heard anything of those getting banned even though the same excuse used to ban discharge lighting could very well apply to those.

I'm a bit sketched out by lead pipes, but lead sheathed electrical wiring I don't see a problem since it's mostly concealed.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #21 on: April 30, 2023, 01:20:46 PM » Author: dor123
I've never heard about lead pipes. I thought pipes are made from steel or iron.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #22 on: April 30, 2023, 01:30:13 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Lead was very popular for plumbing as it was very durable and corrosion resistant as well as being easy to work with .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #23 on: April 30, 2023, 01:38:15 PM » Author: RRK
It was hard to make an iron tube in the times when powerful drawing machines were not yet invented ;)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #24 on: April 30, 2023, 01:55:53 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Lead was very popular for plumbing as it was very durable and corrosion resistant as well as being easy to work with .
My house actually still has lead gas pipes running upstairs!, although long disconnected now and long empty of gas, it’s still there today, it was the old feed to the gas poker from the 50s I believe!  8)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 01:59:07 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #25 on: April 30, 2023, 03:21:00 PM » Author: Andy
The water supply to my house is still via lead pipe from the water meter outside to the kitchen where it is coupled to modern copper pipe.

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #26 on: April 30, 2023, 09:46:12 PM » Author: RRK
Yeah I suppose the LEDs themselves are fairly benign but the energy and chemicals required for production is a problem when modern LED fixtures aren't designed to be repaired.

Interesting to know what real maintenance people think on this. In the good ol'days, if you ran, say, a string of 125W mercury lights in a park you don't have to think hard about the replacements. You have just a bulb and a choke and the parts were standard for decades. Even today generally not much a problem sourcing ones. But with modern LED fixtures many times the parts are customized. If one fixture fails early, there is a chance the series is already out of production. You don't have many chances, replace the whole fixture with something new (probably with different style and different color, it will look ugly in your installation) or keep a large stash of complete spares in your warehouse, which takes up money and space...
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #27 on: April 30, 2023, 09:52:49 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I recently went through the same issue with my porch lights . I had installed integrated LED recessed lights which looked like a 50w MR-16 halogen lamp . When one failed a few years later , SURPRISE !! That style was no longer made and the replacement looked nothing like the other 2 !  :curse:  I ended up buying 3 new universal PAR-20 gimbal trims online which allow me to use replaceable lamps of any style and flavor I wish !
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 04:32:42 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #28 on: May 01, 2023, 04:07:03 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am wondering if any lamp bans will prevent private customers from having foreign lamps from being imported to them. For example, if a Swiss member is interested in getting a NOS HID lamp rom Japan after 2027, will the Switzerland customs and border protection agency stop the lamp from being shipped to the private customer?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #29 on: May 01, 2023, 10:12:30 AM » Author: Rommie
Can't see why they would. These bans, as I understand it, are aimed at the commercial sector rather than private individuals. Willing to be proven wrong though, if anyone has any definitive evidence..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies