Author Topic: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps  (Read 8521 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #30 on: May 01, 2023, 10:13:46 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have seen cases where Amazon cannot ship banned lamps to me.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #31 on: May 01, 2023, 10:17:09 AM » Author: Rommie
Sounds like Amazon  ::)

Have they said why..? I don't use them, but I've had no problems with importing from the US, apart from the exorbitant shipping and import costs.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #32 on: May 01, 2023, 01:06:47 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Having seen the way items are packed when they come through one of their 'fulfilment centres'  I wouldn't buy from them anyway.!  :o :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #33 on: May 01, 2023, 02:29:05 PM » Author: joseph_125
Over here it was common at one point to have copper pipes but still use lead solder for joining them. The use of lead in pipe solder has been phased out since the 80s though.

@Wide-Lite 1000 - RRK - Yep, that's the main gripe I have with the not designed to be repaired LED stuff. You either have to keep enough spare fixtures to keep the look consistent through the expected lifetime of the installation or deal with the fixtures not matching when they start to go. And even if you manage to keep some spare fixtures, after a few years the existing lights would have dimmed a bit and any new spot replacements will stand out since they'll be noticeablely brighter. Seen that before out in the wild too. They kept a few spare lights but I could tell it was a spot replacement since they were brighter. At least with a fluorescent install a group relamp would fix that.

@Rommie - I suppose the ban won't target individuals but even with companies like eBay choosing to encourage/force sellers to use their consolidated shipping for international sales, I could see that becoming a problem once the bans starts. Even now there have been reports of a few members getting their mercury lamps rejected for export from that eBay shipping centre. Not sure what happens to the rejected lamps either, does it get sent back to the seller, or does it get disposed of at the shipping centre.  ::)  3rd party importers or direct shipments still seem to be safe for now.

I'm not a fan of Amazon's business practices myself and only use it sparingly which really means if Amazon is the only option for the item I want. Also can't see myself paying $10/month for Amazon prime either. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 04:58:30 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #34 on: May 01, 2023, 04:36:30 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I got news for them , If I shipped a lamp to someone and it was rejected and disposed of by the shipping center instead of being returned to me , someone's head is gonna roll !!!   :curse:

I don't and won't EVER use Scamazon !! I don't trust them at all !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #35 on: May 01, 2023, 05:13:18 PM » Author: joseph_125
I was kind of curious about what happens to stuff that gets rejected by eBay's international shipping so I searched around the internet. Apparently sellers of other items have had the same issue too, and it's usually either because the system flags it for having hazardous items, sometimes incorrectly although one case apparently the shipping dimensions were exceeded.

Apparently the item's DON'T get sent back to the seller and are either destroyed or liquidated. Instead the seller and buyer gets refunded. There were some reports of the exact same item, with a copy paste listing on eBay showing up on eBay shortly after the original got rejected. Apparently they have a outfit in MI that resells the rejected items on eBay from what I could dig up.

It seems like the best way to avoid this B$ is to get the seller to ship direct.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #36 on: May 01, 2023, 05:37:42 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 One more reason I don't sell on eBay !!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #37 on: May 01, 2023, 05:47:14 PM » Author: Rommie
I don't sell because I can't. Since they ditched PayPal, they want to know my bank account details.

Never gonna happen...

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #38 on: May 01, 2023, 06:48:55 PM » Author: joseph_125
Back when you could still get paid via PayPal, I used to sell some odds and ends I had lying around that I had no use for. Seems too much of a hassle to now.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #39 on: May 01, 2023, 07:02:15 PM » Author: Rommie
Same here, the stuff just piles up now. If anyone ever wants to pay us a visit...   :mrg:

(Please, we need the space  :'-))

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #40 on: May 01, 2023, 07:03:05 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I have a special dedicated bank account just for PayPal as they won't send a paper check anymore !

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #41 on: May 01, 2023, 07:16:21 PM » Author: Rommie
Too much of a hassle to set up, given the amount of use it would get. Besides, if I recall correctly, eBay insist that the account used to have been set up for at least a year  ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #42 on: May 01, 2023, 07:18:32 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 In about 8 months , I'd be fine then !  :mrg:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #43 on: May 03, 2023, 07:49:08 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Interesting to know what real maintenance people think on this. In the good ol'days, if you ran, say, a string of 125W mercury lights in a park you don't have to think hard about the replacements. You have just a bulb and a choke and the parts were standard for decades. Even today generally not much a problem sourcing ones. But with modern LED fixtures many times the parts are customized. If one fixture fails early, there is a chance the series is already out of production. You don't have many chances, replace the whole fixture with something new (probably with different style and different color, it will look ugly in your installation) or keep a large stash of complete spares in your warehouse, which takes up money and space...
From what I’ve seen, real maintenance people and electricians here are the worst for not caring less!, we’ve just had our 7 year old LED battens ripped out of our workshop for UFO versions!, even fittings that I spot replaced that were literally 2 weeks old all went in the skip!
To them its just another ‘job’, and I’ve seen plenty of time’s at our local electrical wholesale, NOS SOX lamps with zero hours on them for instance, thrown out into the WEEE bins where contractors have gone, “well nobody is using any of this stuff anymore “!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #44 on: May 03, 2023, 10:41:38 AM » Author: joseph_125
I'm not too surprised. To them junky fixtures that can't be repaired are better for their bottom line as a lot of people will opt to hire a electrician to change them out compared something like changing a lamp. Plus there's probably more profit to be made in fixture replacement than replacing gear for example.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies