Author Topic: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps  (Read 8611 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #45 on: May 03, 2023, 10:52:13 AM » Author: Rommie
A sad state of affairs, though. I'm old enough to remember when we built stuff to last in this country. Workshop of the world, we were, now look at us  :sadbulb:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #46 on: May 03, 2023, 01:54:41 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Well as recently as 1979, which isn’t THAT long ago, Thorn lighting would have a couple of page’s worth of spares for their fluorescent battens!, end caps, starter switch holders, chokes and capacitors, new bowls and defusers, even little things like the end springs that held the caps on were all available to order from the spares depot in Spennymoor!
How times have changed!  :-[

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #47 on: May 03, 2023, 02:15:02 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I remember not too long ago, you were able to go to Home Depot and the like and pick up parts for most of the common fluorescent fixtures they sold. Stuff like ballasts, various styles of lampholders, replacement troffer lenses, replacement wraparound lenses.

They cleared out a lot of those parts in order to make room for LED. It's a shame though they don't design stuff to last and to be repairable as I was able to completely rebuild the 1958 fluorescent fixture I have with original T12 gear and parts but try doing that with a modern LED fixture, much less 65 years later.   
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #48 on: May 03, 2023, 03:14:55 PM » Author: AngryHorse
One of the saddest losses for me in the lighting industry was the closure of Thorns mighty Melton road works in 2007 and the spares depot in Spennymoor  :'(
Thorn would ship anything to whoever wholesale dealt with them, every single spare you could think of from bowls for street lanterns to full lanterns themselves along with all their gear components and lamp holders, as long as you found a wholesaler that dealt with Spennymoor, Spennymoor would send it to you, whether you were an electrician, lighting engineer or cash sale domestic user/enthusiast!

Granted it would usually take about 3 weeks (as the wholesaler had to have an order over £1000), but Thorn lighting never once failed me or told me I couldn’t have one of them!
Everything I have with Thorns name on came thanks to the massive team at Spennymoor!

The loss of the Melton Road works was such a sad sad loss to Britain and its lighting industry!  :'(
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 03:19:12 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #49 on: May 03, 2023, 03:19:39 PM » Author: Rommie
I thought Spennymoor was still going..? Our Leopard 2D fixtures say on the label they come from there and they're very recent (2019 or so I think)  :wndr:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #50 on: May 03, 2023, 03:25:52 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I wasn’t sure on Spennymoor?, although I do know it was cleared out of all its street lighting stock when they stopped making it all, from what I’ve heard you can’t even get HID control gear from it now?, could be wrong though?  :wndr:

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #51 on: May 03, 2023, 03:33:30 PM » Author: Rommie
I just checked our 28W 2D, it was made week 37 of 2019, the 16W one is older though, 2012.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #52 on: May 03, 2023, 03:40:40 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah it does indeed look like the factory is still in operation, but more on the manufacturing side than spares today, or maybe Thorn spares still exists albeit for LED today?

Welcome to OBLIVION

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #53 on: May 03, 2023, 04:46:09 PM » Author: joseph_125
Over here most of the luminaire manufacturers are still around but have largely re-tooled their lines for LED instead of fluorescent. Some still list fluorescent luminaires so they're probably still made on a special order basis.

Unfortunately, none of the components are still made here. Gear is typically imported from Mexico or China while the lamps vary. Domestic production of lamps seemed to have ended when Sylvania shut the their operations in Drummondville, QC back in 2018.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #54 on: May 04, 2023, 09:20:22 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Can't see why they would. These bans, as I understand it, are aimed at the commercial sector rather than private individuals. Willing to be proven wrong though, if anyone has any definitive evidence..?

FBI... OPEN UP!

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #55 on: May 04, 2023, 09:39:03 PM » Author: joseph_125
The Federal Bulb Inspectors are here. :lol:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #56 on: May 05, 2023, 08:27:53 AM » Author: Rommie
The FBI doesn't have any jurisdiction here   :P

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #57 on: June 04, 2023, 07:30:50 PM » Author: Robotjulep
:'( I'm afraid the US is going to do the same next.
Does the ban affect second hand sale?

If they make it illegal to even own HID lamps in USA, I might have to hide my collection or move to a more rural area. Banning HID lights is like communism where everyone is only allowed to use one light source: LED :eoled::curse:

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #58 on: June 04, 2023, 07:33:58 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Japan banned mercury vapor lamps in 2020, but I know that some manufacturers like Panasonic are set to discontinue all metal halide and high pressure sodium lamps by 2024.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Switzerland is banning HID Lamps « Reply #59 on: June 04, 2023, 08:07:55 PM » Author: Robotjulep
LED is propaganda, scam, and false-advertising. Who cares about being eco-friendly if you have good power plants. HID ran on coal. LED still runs on coal. I don't see much of a difference here. But LED cheaply made crap that is forcing a new "trend" of light fixtures that look nothing like stuff that had "replaceable" bulbs. "Instead you never have to replace it because LED lasts long." Pretty soon changing a lightbulb from a socket is not going to exist anymore due to permanent LED fixtures and most people will have to hire a person to do that. I think the older lamps were for the smarter generation who knew how to repair things, but LED is making people stupid. Before 2014, laptops used to have replaceable CPUs. Now the CPU is permanently soldered onto the PCB. I see were technology is going. I am set for life with CFL lighting and I am going to continue to go to Lowes to grab their recycled lamps and repair them. I have probably 100 CFL lamps all from the recycle and I think that's more "Eco Friendly" than LED. I am not spending a dime on LED at all. CFLs are "free"  :lol:. Conventional lighting is far superior to LED and it will always be.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies