Author Topic: What kind of cell phone do you use?  (Read 80637 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #210 on: August 16, 2018, 09:44:43 AM » Author: Rommie
Whenever someone asks me why I spend X amount of money on Apple products when I could spend half X on something else, I simply say that when you buy Apple products you buy an experience, not just a thing that you take out of the wrapper. The systems are very expensive but so is anything "a cut above" whether it's a car, food or a resort you're staying at. When you look into the screen of a 5K iMac, and realise you got a superb 5K screen and a computer for less than some 5K screens alone, you realise it isn't all that bad a deal.

... with those myths dispelled, I now answer the question by saying "I use an iPhone".
Well, each to their own, I suppose. But when I buy something, I want the product, not an "experience" thanks all the same  :P ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #211 on: August 16, 2018, 09:48:20 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Well, each to their own, I suppose. But when I buy something, I want the product, not an "experience" thanks all the same  :P ;D
Ditto, it seems to be all the rage just now of offering a 'Customer Experience' and inflating the prices.  >:(
Hmm, that could easily go in another thread...  :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

whitestar
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #212 on: August 16, 2018, 10:02:21 AM » Author: whitestar
I’ve had Apple products for business and home for many year and they just work and I don’t get nagged by stupid updates whenever I switch my computer on, never had a days issue with Apple products in 18 years and I will pay the money for it.
Very much each to their own.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #213 on: August 16, 2018, 07:38:21 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Whatever brand of Smart Phone you use the battery life compared to the old Nokia 6310i is abysmal.!  :o
The fact that you can't switch your phone off overnight and have it come on again with the alarm going off is in my view a retrograde step.  >:(

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #214 on: August 16, 2018, 07:42:37 PM » Author: Rommie
Whatever brand of Smart Phone you use the battery life compared to the old Nokia 6310i is abysmal.!  :o
The fact that you can't switch your phone off overnight and have it come on again with the alarm going off is in my view a retrograde step.  >:(

Indeed. I had a couple of 6310i's a few years ago, they were lovely phones. I still have one, which I keep as a spare and also for pure sentimental value. When I was using them full time, on a new battery they would easily go two weeks between charges. Even today it will last a couple of days, and that's with an 18 year old battery..!
I'm lucky if I get a couple of days out of a new battery on a so-called "smart" phone. Why can't they be a bit smarter on power consumption  ???

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #215 on: September 01, 2018, 01:13:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Indeed. I had a couple of 6310i's a few years ago, they were lovely phones. I still have one, which I keep as a spare and also for pure sentimental value. When I was using them full time, on a new battery they would easily go two weeks between charges. Even today it will last a couple of days, and that's with an 18 year old battery..!
I'm lucky if I get a couple of days out of a new battery on a so-called "smart" phone. Why can't they be a bit smarter on power consumption
 ???
It's the Wi-Fi  that's the battery killer, and all of the built in apps don't help matters.  >:(

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #216 on: September 12, 2018, 08:37:31 PM » Author: icefoglights
...Apple stuff seems to be rather prone to breakage, drop an iPhone and the screen shatters, drop a Samsung and it bounces..!
If I had a dollar for every smashed iPhone I've seen, I'd have a $50 stack.  If I had a dollar for every smashed Samsung I've seen, I'd have another $50 stack.  They all break.  My nephew had one of their supposedly ruggedized Galaxy Rugby phones.  Screen made it 4 months.  He than got an HTC One that made it nearly two years without any case or screen protector.  A broken MicroUSB port (don't get me started on those) was it's ultimate downfall.  An issue I've had with Samsung is that unless you get one of their mainline Galaxy Sx phones, they don't really support them after the fact.  My old Rugby Smart, which was truly durable, came with Gingerbread when ICS was mainstream and Jellybean was the new thing.  Never saw an upgrade.  Add to that, I constantly had to kill off apps and processes to keep it from crawling.  It was also so filled with bloatware that of 8 GB of storage it came with, less than 2 was available for the user.  It's battery life was generally good, but some days it would have a "turbo discharge day" where despite starting the day with a full charge, it would run itself dead by lunch time.  I've liked my iPhone since than because it just works.  If I ever decided that iPhone wasn't for me, I'd probably go with the Google Pixle instead.  That said, the only phone I've personally shattered the screen on was an old Nokia brick (6360) phone.

One of my favorite features of my old Nokia 5165 was it's alarm clock.  You could set the alarm clock and power the phone off.  The alarm would go off at it's set time, but all you could do was hit snooze.  To actually stop the alarm, you had to power the phone on, unlock it, go into settings and shut the alarm off.  You're awake by than.  To make it better, set it on a wooden table or headboard with the vibrating battery pack, and it would make a sound that could wake the dead!  To top it off, that battery could last a whole week between charges.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #217 on: September 15, 2018, 11:05:13 AM » Author: Cole D.
I may be getting a new phone soon actually. I want to switch from AT&T to prepaid because it will be cheaper and still use AT&T. So I'm not sure what kind of phone I'll be getting, I want something at least as good as I have now.

Also my phone did something really weird last night. I went to look at it to put it on charge before I went to bed, and it felt hot and there was a very faint gray glow coming from the screen. I tried pushing the power button to turn the screen on or get it to shut off, but it did nothing. I had to take the battery out to make it turn off.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #218 on: September 22, 2018, 01:31:42 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Well I have had Nokia’s and Samsung,s since mobiles came out, but I’ve just got an iPhone 6s, and I’m sorry but their just so much better! My last Samsung decided that it’s screen would just stop working!, ( it was NEVER once dropped either), as a result I lost ALL my numbers, photos, and gmail’s, without any way of retrieving them!, as you need the screen to access any of it  >:(
Apples cameras are far superior than anyone else’s too, and most picture messaging is cost free between iPhone users too!

Oh, and as for cracking screens, no one should be dropping their bloody phone in the first place.......! ;D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #219 on: September 22, 2018, 01:44:43 AM » Author: Cole D.
I dropped my phone soon after I got it and it dented the silver trim on the edge but i've never cracked the screen. I thought about an iPhone but never used iOS so I thought maybe I should stay on Android.

Oh and I did have a flip phone when I was way younger. All it did was call, text and take fuzzy pictures, and play a game or two.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #220 on: September 22, 2018, 02:05:04 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I’ve NEVER dropped a phone since owning one, or sat on one, leaned on or lay on one ;)
The hardest swop over though, was from Nokia to Samsung, I found my first Samsung way over complicated!, it took me literally months to remember how to use it!, and I don’t know if I’m now more ‘tech savvy’, but I seem to have picked up the 6s much more quickly than I have any other phone? 8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #221 on: September 25, 2018, 07:10:43 PM » Author: Rommie
Well my trusty Samsung Galaxy S4 mini died on me last week, most unexpected, it was working fine until it just failed out of the blue. I had been taking some photos of newly acquired lamps, and when I finished, I put the phone down on the living room table.

There it remained until bedtime, when I picked it up and found it was powered off. This was unexpected as the battery had a good charge. Trying to restart it did nothing, it just didn't respond. So I took the SIM out and put it in a spare phone, then the next day went into one of the local phone repair places. The guy there looked at it, and said he would try re-flashing the firmware, which might fix it but I would lose all data on the phone. This was ok as all my photos and music etc. are on the external SD card.

He hooked it up to his computer and tried to get access, but it wasn't having it. He managed to get it to power up, but it was just cycling on and off like a duff discharge lamp  :-\  The consensus of opinion was that it was a main board fault and not economically repairable  :(

So time for an upgrade. I did the rounds of all the second hand phone shops in town, nothing there jumped out at me, so when we got back home I hit eBay. Now I know it's a bit of a gamble buying phones on eBay, you never know what you'll get, but I eventually found one that was on auction rather than a buy it now sale, so it sounded more likely to be a private seller rather than a dodgy business seller.

It was a white Samsung Galaxy S5 mini, the next model up from my old one. Still two or three years old, but in pristine condition, with a spare battery. There were a couple of days left on the auction so I waited until the end and put a bid in, and won it for £85 including postage, so not a bad deal, as the cheapest I'd seen them on the high street was over a hundred.

Got it this morning and have so far spent hours configuring it..! I remember now why I don't change my phone every week, like some people seem to do  :D

macusking

View Posts
View Gallery

I love all the lamps! (but LEDs)

macusking macusking
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #222 on: September 28, 2018, 04:04:05 PM » Author: macusking
RedMi S2

Xiaomi rocks!

Men are rapid-start. Women are pre-heat.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #223 on: October 06, 2018, 06:09:10 PM » Author: Rommie
I dropped my phone soon after I got it and it dented the silver trim on the edge but i've never cracked the screen. I thought about an iPhone but never used iOS so I thought maybe I should stay on Android.

Oh and I did have a flip phone when I was way younger. All it did was call, text and take fuzzy pictures, and play a game or two.

At the end of the day, that's basically what a phone is for. All the bells & whistles on a so-called "smart" phone are just that, and aren't really essential, at least not to me. I have a perfectly good camera for taking photos, and a satnav if I ever get lost. What else do I need (and I mean need, not want, or wouldn't this be nice, or whatever).

I do have a flip phone, it's a relatively new one, a Doro PhoneEasy 607, I bought it originally as a spare to keep in the car, but now I don't have a car any more, it's just sitting on the shelf as an emergency spare, but it does work and has a reasonable quality camera and an FM radio, so it doesn't totally drag you back to the 90's  :D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:11:00 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #224 on: October 07, 2018, 01:22:34 AM » Author: tolivac
Flip phone----the basics---it just works!!!All many folks need.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies