Author Topic: what car do you drive?  (Read 37588 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 10:32:37 PM » Author: suzukir122
Ahh too bad it's not a subaru WRX STI or something. I'm not a car guy, but cars like the WRX catch
my interest easily. I LOVE the grumble sound from the WRX.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 10:37:29 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I've always been interested in Subarus but with this one being my first it has left a sour taste in my mouth especially when I read reviews about their customer service over here being non existant. I rather not take this one on long trips as I was really nervous on my last 1800km round road trip in May because of the loud wheel bearings. I thought the wheel was going to fall off. :o
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 11:21:21 PM » Author: CEB1993
Hey Mercurylamps, I'm really glad you were okay after that wreck! 

115 horsepower doesn't sound like much on paper, but my car has plenty of get up and go. The curb weight is only about 3,400 pounds, so the engine doesn't feel overworked.  0 to 60 mph is about 8 seconds according to Consumer Reports. The Jetta is built for the Autobahn, so it feels rock solid when cruising 75+ mph. I have hit 90 mph on a couple of occasions while passing 18 wheelers.  Once I reach cruising speed, my Jetta is fast and solid at high speeds.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #48 on: July 25, 2017, 12:07:06 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I have to admit, my car is really loaded on road trips like it carries a car fridge which itself is heavy without anything loaded in it, and a second battery used to power it. (Itself weighs 30KG). I also have one of those roof boxes which mounts on your roof racks and that carries backpacks, blankets, pillows and water storage so yeah I guess it is packed to the brim for only two-three people. ;D

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 11:36:41 PM » Author: CEB1993
Hey Mercurylamps, that's awesome that you can put a fridge in your car.  Sounds like the Subaru is a good fit for you.  I have a Yeti cooler that will keep ice for days in an indoor environment.  It fits like a glove in the trunk of my Jetta, so I can keep iced cokes on hand on a long trip.  The newer Jettas have an A/C vent in the glovebox so you can keep a cold drink on hand in the cabin.  A fridge would be great for tailgating at football games, especially in the early part of the season when it's still hot outside.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #50 on: July 31, 2017, 08:52:01 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i drive a golf cart

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #51 on: August 01, 2017, 01:33:29 PM » Author: CEB1993
Yeah I came out unhurt, thanks CEB1993. :) I suppose in a way it did me a favour because the car was a heavy fuel thirsty machine which had a inline 6 4.0L engine and since then I've had more economical 4 cylinder cars. ;)

Wow, never seen a warning light for low windshield washer fluid before.  :o

Here's a picture of all the warning lights illuminated in my Jetta during ignition.  The Germans design their cars to be well maintained and high tech enough to alert the driver whenever attention is needed to keep the car performing well and running reliably.  The lights indicate:

EPC, Electronic Power Control
Green Shoe, Press the brake pedal to shift from park
Low Oil
Overheating Engine
Worn Brake Pads
Low Windshield Wiper Fluid
Low Fuel
Check Engine
ESP, Stability Control active
ABS, Antilock Brakes Active or malfunctioning
Incorrect Key, Car will not start with this key
BRAKE, Parking brake engaged
Low battery
Fasten Seatbelt

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #52 on: August 02, 2017, 05:44:45 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
i drive a golf cart

Have a lot of fun in it? 8)

Here's a picture of all the warning lights illuminated in my Jetta during ignition.  The Germans design their cars to be well maintained and high tech enough to alert the driver whenever attention is needed to keep the car performing well and running reliably.  The lights indicate:

EPC, Electronic Power Control
Green Shoe, Press the brake pedal to shift from park
Low Oil
Overheating Engine
Worn Brake Pads
Low Windshield Wiper Fluid
Low Fuel
Check Engine
ESP, Stability Control active
ABS, Antilock Brakes Active or malfunctioning
Incorrect Key, Car will not start with this key
BRAKE, Parking brake engaged
Low battery
Fasten Seatbelt

Mine has some of those lights. Out of interest when you start your car does all the guages go to max then back to their home position? Mine seems to do that by default. I don't have a picture of my dashboard warning lights (I thought I did) but did find one of the steering wheel lit up by monochromatic 90W SOX street lamp nearby. 8)

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #53 on: August 02, 2017, 02:37:31 PM » Author: CEB1993

Mine has some of those lights. Out of interest when you start your car does all the guages go to max then back to their home position? Mine seems to do that by default. I don't have a picture of my dashboard warning lights (I thought I did) but did find one of the steering wheel lit up by monochromatic 90W SOX street lamp nearby. 8)

Hey Mercurylamps, the gauges in my VW Jetta do not sweep all the to the max and back upon starting the car.  That must be a Subaru feature since I noticed that my friend's Subaru Outback does that with the gauges during ignition.  All of the warning lights in my car do turn on for a second during ignition to make sure they all work and allow the internal computer to scan the car for any maintenance problems.  I do have a pesky "check engine" light on right now that indicates a busted catalytic converter.  I'm not too concerned because the car still runs perfectly and I have not noticed any unusual emissions.  I would rather save money in case I have a more debilitating problem such as new brake pads or a broken timing belt.  Stuff like that takes priority over the catalytic converter.

Stop the lamp bans!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #54 on: August 02, 2017, 03:59:24 PM » Author: sol
My parent's 2013 Toyota Corolla does that behaviour with the gauge needles upon startup. Mine (2004) does not. I believe the lights that light up upon startup are for a 'lamp test' function.

I had a broken catalytic converter that I replaced quite quickly as it broke at the exhaust pipe fitting. Since the catalytic converter is before the muffler, it made for quite a loud car that probably wouldn't pass the safety inspection (which has to be done every two years). It was quite an expensive problem to fix, so I know about your hesitation.
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #55 on: August 02, 2017, 09:30:25 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
Hey Mercurylamps, the gauges in my VW Jetta do not sweep all the to the max and back upon starting the car.  That must be a Subaru feature since I noticed that my friend's Subaru Outback does that with the gauges during ignition.  All of the warning lights in my car do turn on for a second during ignition to make sure they all work and allow the internal computer to scan the car for any maintenance problems.  I do have a pesky "check engine" light on right now that indicates a busted catalytic converter.  I'm not too concerned because the car still runs perfectly and I have not noticed any unusual emissions.  I would rather save money in case I have a more debilitating problem such as new brake pads or a broken timing belt.  Stuff like that takes priority over the catalytic converter.

I'd definitely get that check engine looked into for sure, it could easily be something as simple as a loose sensor connection. The number 1 fault for check engine lights is apparently the O2 sensor on the exhaust. I have a OBD scanner that I used to diagnose the sensor and was able to replace it easily on my car a few months ago myself.
My parent's 2013 Toyota Corolla does that behaviour with the gauge needles upon startup. Mine (2004) does not. I believe the lights that light up upon startup are for a 'lamp test' function.

I had a broken catalytic converter that I replaced quite quickly as it broke at the exhaust pipe fitting. Since the catalytic converter is before the muffler, it made for quite a loud car that probably wouldn't pass the safety inspection (which has to be done every two years). It was quite an expensive problem to fix, so I know about your hesitation.

I had the cataltyic converter go on my old Ford. At first I thought it was the exhaust making rattling noises under acceleration was loose mounts as did my mechanic until he checked out the catalytyic converter honeycomb was crumbling away to nothing. A second hand converter from an equivalent car at the scrapyard was fairly cheap (about $150) and my mechanic fitted it so all was good. It didn't have a CEL.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #56 on: August 02, 2017, 09:34:53 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps

yea man.... probably my favorite thing to drive right beside a lawnmower... XD ... which gives me an idea GOLFMOWER!

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #57 on: August 02, 2017, 09:37:50 PM » Author: Mercurylamps

Try adding a petrol engine into it. I wanted to do that when I was a kid to make a home made go-cart. ;D
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #58 on: August 02, 2017, 09:42:40 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Try adding a petrol engine into it. I wanted to do that when I was a kid to make a home made go-cart. ;D

lol that'd be a fun ride... i might actually do that one day (not anytime soon) but one day....

~Owen

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: what car do you drive? « Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 07:16:32 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
lol that'd be a fun ride... i might actually do that one day (not anytime soon) but one day....

Even more fun with an added turbocharger. ;D ;)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies