Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 254004 times)
RandomCatPerson

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1350 on: March 26, 2023, 01:09:51 PM » Author: RandomCatPerson
I’m making a new indoor street light display from wood that was sitting around and a 4ft Sylvania arm.

See me on youtube at Random Cat Person for more content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYq1jSBuQvMObtCuglqB_6g/videos

Westinghouse is King

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1351 on: March 26, 2023, 09:37:22 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Put together my 'human achievement hour' lights vid & have it ready to upload to YT.
(can't upload yet because I'm watching a few storm LiveStreams & doing other stuff. Uploading to YouTube causes issues so gotta wait.)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1352 on: April 03, 2023, 03:50:20 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
This was yesterday, but we've been travelling and getting online wasn't easy:
We have relieved Mr Photonicinduction of quite a few lamps for a not inconsiderable amount of money.!  :o :poof:
Photos will be posted once we get home, so keep yer eyeses peeled.! ;D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1353 on: April 07, 2023, 10:51:24 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Today's Project :  I installed one of my DayBrite Up/Down Wall Lights  ( https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5198&pos=6&pid=225006  ) in my stairwell going to the upstairs .

What a PITA !!!! Trying to install and wire a multi piece fixture to 2 different switch feeds ( NO , the MORONS who wired my house didn't use a 3-way !!)  All at the same time balancing on 2" ledges on either side of the stair well !!   NOT my definition of fun !!

This fixture replaces the 2 light candlabra fixture I installed 23 years ago when I bought this mess . It replaced a crappy fixture that was designed for 2 R-20 floods (had a pair of medium based 40w frosted CA-9 lamps) . Looked similar to this : https://www.build.com/maxim-92011/s1221100?uid=2917493#overview

Overall , I really like the result ! The stairway is much better lit now .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1354 on: April 08, 2023, 06:44:39 PM » Author: Econolite03
Today, I received the newest addition to my small photocell collection. It’s a red colored 2011 FP Sun-Tech shorting cap I got cheap on eBay. I like it. Right now it’s on my 2007 GE 201-SA.
Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1355 on: April 08, 2023, 07:49:38 PM » Author: Lcubed3
Today, I got a Lithonia 100w "Security Light". It's my first metal halide fixture.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1356 on: April 08, 2023, 11:23:25 PM » Author: joseph_125
@wide-lite 1000 - Nice, looks like you found a good spot for one of them.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1357 on: April 08, 2023, 11:25:50 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Thanks !

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1358 on: April 09, 2023, 05:06:56 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Replaced a few more F32T8 Philips 4100k tubes that only made it a few thousand hours.  <sigh>  It's sad that the newer Philips and GE and now Sylvania tubes are not making it very long.  At least the Philips and Sylvania tubes are not going mercury starved and actually burn out, but the GEs go mercury starved after several thousand hours (well short of 10,000 hours)
My supplier stated that for a few years the Ledvance/Sylvania tubes they got were from overseas.. russia or Ukraine or someplace and that they have been the worst reliability wise but the latest they are getting might be Chinese made and are doing better.   He also is stocking tubes from Satco which have been doing very good in the various installations I've been using them in. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1359 on: April 24, 2023, 10:28:23 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I've just made an offer, which has been accepted, for another of the Chalwyn Oily Lampses.!  :oil-ltn:  :love:
That makes fifteen of them now..!  :poof:
Thanks, AH.!  :-*

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1360 on: April 24, 2023, 06:13:04 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
On one of the oily lampses that I bought, the wick winder was seized solid.  >:(
So I thought that a prolonged soaking in paraffin might help... :wndr:
I took it out tonight after three months in the oily 'tuff, and it's rotating freely now.  ;D

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1361 on: April 25, 2023, 12:37:10 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I replaced the last of the 2 Italian Sylvania F8T5's in kitchen under cabinet light : https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5198&pos=176&pid=169890 The 1st one died about 4-5 months ago . This one started flickering and flashing today . The weird thing is that neither end of the lamp looks overly black !

Both lamps were installed on November 25 , 2018 and run D2D . Both replacements are Generic F8T5's I got from some 12v  fixtures from work .

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1362 on: April 28, 2023, 11:08:59 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 This was actually a couple of days ago :  I salvaged some pieces/parts from a damaged M250R2 . Apparantly , the latch failed causing the door , refractor and reflector/socket assy to fall . I kept the socket , 250w GE HPS lamp & the refractor . The door was cracked/bent and the reflector was also bent so both of them went to the scrap yard as scrap aluminum .

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1363 on: April 29, 2023, 12:46:09 AM » Author: 108CAM
Lately I've been taking a break from lights so I could have more time to focus on my other interests.

The house next door to mine has finally been demolished and I got lucky in terms of the timing. Demolition happened on a Friday so that means I have the entire weekend to scout out the rubble for any goodies.

Having the demolition site right next door meant that I was able to quickly and easily toss anything I wanted to keep over the fence and pick it up on my side whenever I went inside to get a drink or have a rest.

Now that the house is a pile of rubble, I'm scouting it out for any copper that the demolition crew forgot to grab. I'm also salvaging specific bricks that have a very good resale value once the mortar is cleaned off.

And yes I got permission to save the light fixtures prior to demolition. I also did quite a bit of night shopping at the house so I could salvage other items not related to lighting, much to the dismay of my parents.

Click here for a picture of the light fixtures I salvaged prior to the demolition

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1364 on: May 05, 2023, 09:25:37 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Used a scissor lift and Relamped about 160 T8 tubes in a basketball/gym part of a church building  Decided to take them from 4100K to 3500K and it looks good.  Replaced 3 4 lamp ballasts.  Old were Advance mid to late 90s vintage.  New are Osram.  I still have about 130 lamps to go in the chapel of this building, and maybe 6 bad ballasts.  Not looking forward this as it will require a 20+ ft extendable A-Frame ladder to change out all of them.  Bah. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies