Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 56651 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #525 on: August 01, 2020, 05:42:45 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Could not finish up the cabnit lights project due to factors out  of my control but i manage to save some bulbs and other electrical goodies from her house and also bring it slightly more up to code. Will probs be back in late august to finish it up.

collecting since 2012

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Westinghouse OV-25s at sunset.

UCi55A3hASj7xOZ1eTRO1Jvg
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #526 on: August 01, 2020, 05:57:28 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Went to the ReStore, got a GE 250w R40 Infrared lamp from 1998 and a Lights of America 4P 13w CFL adapter with package. Will be back for a two-pack of GE 67w red-etchers and other miscellaneous things.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:01:21 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged

Good quality things are awesome. Cheaply made things are not.

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

missriaelaine
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #527 on: August 03, 2020, 07:58:01 AM » Author: sox35
Performed a little experiment in ballasting MV with incandescent, we have a 50W MV but no ballast, so we tried 150W and 200W incandescents, the 200W is the better choice, it would seem  Incandescent Lamp Mercury Vapor Lamp

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end Love

Wireman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #528 on: August 03, 2020, 12:54:58 PM » Author: Wireman
Performed a little experiment in ballasting MV with incandescent, we have a 50W MV but no ballast, so we tried 150W and 200W incandescents, the 200W is the better choice, it would seem  Incandescent Lamp Mercury Vapor Lamp
I can't figure this one out!? You used incandescents to ballast MV lamps?? Not sure how that works?

"Hell, there are no rules here. We're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas Edison

"Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes." Neal Peart

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #529 on: August 03, 2020, 01:36:22 PM » Author: Medved
I can't figure this one out!? You used incandescents to ballast MV lamps?? Not sure how that works?

As a resistive ballast: Connected just in nseries with the ballasted lamp.
But the mains voltage needs to be more than about double the arc voltage, so with standard MV (95..120V arc voltage; exact value depends on the exact wattage rating, 50W has 93V arc) it works in 230V world, but does not in 120V US (or Canada).

This is the pinciple, how selfballasted MV's work: There the incandescent filament is already inside of the outer, together with the connection.
The 230V types really have standard style MV burner, with a starting probe and resistor. The arctube (it differs a bit compare to standard MVs) is only optimized for maximum total efficacy and the heat it gets from the ballast filament.
120V models have to suffice with the low voltage for ignition, so use arctube with auxiliary filament heaters heating the arctube before ignition (using heat controlled bimetal switch), but once ignited it is again a mercury arc discharge (with arc voltage around 60V for 120V SBMVs) in series with an incandescent filament.

No more selfballasted c***

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

missriaelaine
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #530 on: August 03, 2020, 01:36:37 PM » Author: sox35
It's rather like a blended mercury/tungsten lamp, the MV is in series with the incandescent filament, just in two separate bulbs  Grin

It was just an experiment until we get the correct ballast for the 50W merc.

See photo here  Cool

Ria in Aberdeen

Wireman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #531 on: August 03, 2020, 01:50:40 PM » Author: Wireman
It's rather like a blended mercury/tungsten lamp, the MV is in series with the incandescent filament, just in two separate bulbs  Grin

It was just an experiment until we get the correct ballast for the 50W merc.

See photo here  Cool
I think I got it now. Isn't  this the same concept on how SBMV lamps work?

"Hell, there are no rules here. We're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas Edison

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

missriaelaine
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #532 on: August 03, 2020, 02:26:59 PM » Author: sox35
I think I got it now. Isn't  this the same concept on how SBMV lamps work?
Pretty much, yep  Cool

Ria in Aberdeen

Wireman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #533 on: August 03, 2020, 08:15:37 PM » Author: Wireman
@sox35

@Medved

MASSIVE thanks to you both for helping me understand this!
It's certainly very interesting and definitely why I joined LG!

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

missriaelaine
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #534 on: August 04, 2020, 06:09:55 AM » Author: sox35
No problem, it's why we're all here after all  Cool

Ria in Aberdeen

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Landcruiser Ute

evan.driscoll.33 UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #535 on: August 07, 2020, 09:02:37 AM » Author: LightsDelight
A couple of days ago I set up some shelving in the garage to store my lights on while the shed is getting stripped out to get it ready to be knocked down for the new one.

Keep discharge lighting alive

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Westinghouse OV-25s at sunset.

UCi55A3hASj7xOZ1eTRO1Jvg
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #536 on: August 08, 2020, 10:49:08 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I replaced a LED lamp at my uncle's house that was flickering. Another one was also flickering but I didn't notice it until right as we were leaving, which means I wasn't able to replace it. Roll Eyes Also noticed three of the four dimmers in his house house are going bad but I don't think I'll be the one replacing them though. One of my cousins will most likely do that job unless my uncle asks me to do it.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:28:17 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged

Good quality things are awesome. Cheaply made things are not.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE 175w MV

GoL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #537 on: Today at 03:16:08 AM » Author: High Intensity
Wrapping up day one of garbage pickup, found 23 fluorescent lamps, seven of which are F32T8, one F15T8, And one vintage F40T12 (a Sylvania Lifeline F40CW). I also found various halogen, compact fluorescent, and LED lamps.

Old lighting is, and will always be, the best lighting.

Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines