Author Topic: Gallery of Lights No Longer?  (Read 50396 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #105 on: September 27, 2020, 03:29:05 PM » Author: Patrick
Since @rjluna2 brought it up, I'll reiterate what I see is our general policy on outside images such as movie screen captures.  By and large, we expect that the majority of the pictures contributed to the gallery are original photographs.  Photos you shoot yourselves are typically more desirable than pictures found on the Internet or derived from other sources such television broadcasts or mapping services, both in terms of their quality and uniqueness.  That being said, I do believe that a small number of photos from a source such as a television program might be acceptable when the image is distinctive, complements your original photos, or is not available elsewhere.  For example, if somebody has an album of original streetlight photos in a particular city, I'd be OK with a few images from outside sources to fill in gaps.  However, a hundred low res photos taken from Street View or a television show from that city wouldn't be up to our standards.  Also remember this site is intended for pictures of lights, not merely pictures with lights.  The light source should be the subject of the photograph.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #106 on: October 02, 2020, 10:56:13 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
Well I still can't upload pics on the gallery of lights because it still gives me that critical error.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #107 on: October 02, 2020, 06:41:31 PM » Author: Patrick
It might be a space issue.  Somebody could test that by deleting a few extraneous files.  Note some hosts have a space limit while others have a file number limit.  I've always thought file number limits were silly, they are simply a way of being able to advertise an unlimited or high capacity in terms of gigabytes wile putting a practical limit on how much of that you can reasonably use.

Ian (Lil'Cinnamon there, !KEDER here)  would be the one to confirm.  He hasn't been online here in quite a while, he was on GoL at least a bit last week, though not in the past several days.  I sent him a message but haven't heard back.

Lighting-Gallery.net

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #108 on: October 02, 2020, 06:57:59 PM » Author: HPS_250
I do wonder if Gallery Of Lights will stay active for much longer, as it seems to be falling apart already. I was never a member there, so I can’t test anything. I chose this site instead. :)

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #109 on: October 02, 2020, 07:50:39 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Patrick:
That might be it. I do kinda remember him posting somewhere that the site was getting near its limit on files.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #110 on: October 02, 2020, 08:26:42 PM » Author: High Intensity
When i tried posting an image on GOL, i got this error.

Now i tried this with the smallest photo i had (less than 250 bytes) and it still did not work.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #111 on: October 02, 2020, 08:29:21 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Has anyone considered taking over GOL? Maybe turn it into a dedicated streetlight place or something.

Administrator #5

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #112 on: October 02, 2020, 09:34:33 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Lightingguy1994
Has anyone considered taking over GOL? Maybe turn it into a dedicated streetlight place or something.
The thought of that actually has crossed my mind (atleast as a "what if..." thought).
I don't know what exactly it takes to admin (from the 'owner' side) a forum/gallery. But that would more be a matter of some research/learning. I know its not all that hard.
The expense would be more of an issue than anything...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #113 on: October 02, 2020, 10:49:16 PM » Author: Patrick
We could potentially host it, without any extra cost, if Ian was to decide he no longer wished to.  If we did, it could either remain separate, be loosely integrated, or fully integrated into Lighting-Gallery.  Personally I believe some consolidation could be beneficial.  Right now most of the major lighting enthusiast forums are relying on a few people to operate them.  If one individual is unavailable for a few days and there's an issue, there isn't anybody who can step in.  If we pooled our resources, that'd be less of a concern.  Gallery of Lights would be the obvious partner given that the site is essentially the same.  Two of the major U.K. forums aren't open to the public, so coordinating with one of them would not be as straightforward.

Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #114 on: October 02, 2020, 11:18:13 PM » Author: joseph_125
Ok I figured out the uploading problem, basically the site is full and the host is rejecting all uploaded pictures as the limit for the max number of files has been reached.

If you wish to upload in the time being, consider deleting some older less popular pictures to free up some "slots" for new pictures. 
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #115 on: October 03, 2020, 12:13:02 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Ok I figured out the uploading problem, basically the site is full and the host is rejecting all uploaded pictures as the limit for the max number of files has been reached.

If you wish to upload in the time being, consider deleting some older less popular pictures to free up some "slots" for new pictures.  

My concern with that is if member 1 goes to delete some old stuff to make room but before they get the chance to upload, member two comes along as uploads taking that space. Hopefully the owner will come up sometime and sort it out.

Administrator #5

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #116 on: October 03, 2020, 01:28:18 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I think upgrading the RAM and the server on gallery of lights would probably fix it. But I kinda doubt it that will happen, because it costs money to upgrade a server host.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:32:41 AM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #117 on: October 03, 2020, 01:41:20 AM » Author: joseph_125
My concern with that is if member 1 goes to delete some old stuff to make room but before they get the chance to upload, member two comes along as uploads taking that space. Hopefully the owner will come up sometime and sort it out.

Yeah that's a valid concern but if need be I could reclaim that space by asking member 2 to delete some of their stuff to make room or delete the picture(s) myself if they refuse to. Hopefully with the small membership on GoL, the honor system can suffice for now.

I think upgrading the RAM and the server on gallery of lights would probably fix it. But I kinda doubt it that will happen, because it costs money to upgrade a server host.

Yeah unfortunately since I don't have access to the hosting stuff, it'll have to wait until Ian comes online to fix it. An upgrade to increase the maximum number of files will fix it without resorting to deleting anything.

I'm pretty sure it's the site being full as I was able to successfully upload one picture after deleting one of my pictures.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #118 on: October 03, 2020, 09:13:42 AM » Author: rjluna2
Let us cross our fingers to see if this site can be resolved by Ian :-\

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #119 on: October 11, 2020, 11:46:29 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I've now 'backed up' half the data on my streetlights gallery there...and as I figured, it'd be a painfully slow process. Since it requires viewing each pic individually (and in some cases making little updates/corrections), then saving the files. 

Its also beyond me why FireFox takes one full minute (yes I timed it) to save a HTML file (or a pic) file...when technically that file is already on the computer.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies