Author Topic: Gallery of Lights No Longer?  (Read 51638 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #135 on: January 09, 2021, 01:58:40 PM » Author: Rommie
It seems it is losing popularity compared to LG.
I don't think it was ever all that popular. We were on it briefly but left after virtually no activity for weeks on end; we were uploading pictures and they weren't even getting views, never mind comments  :-\

Sad really, much as I love LG, a little competition is always a good thing.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #136 on: January 09, 2021, 03:19:04 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I don't think it was ever all that popular. We were on it briefly but left after virtually no activity for weeks on end; we were uploading pictures and they weren't even getting views, never mind comments  :-\

Sad really, much as I love LG, a little competition is always a good thing.
And a family of websites since they are Coppermine galleries.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #137 on: January 10, 2021, 12:23:56 AM » Author: High Intensity
I'm starting to wonder if I should transfer some photos from GOL over to LG, since I have a few files that are only on GOL.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #138 on: January 10, 2021, 01:13:09 PM » Author: rjluna2
I have been transferring these pictures with no comments here with the exception of these movie/TV show related posting.  I'll try to find out those who administrate that site to resolve the problem :wndr:

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #139 on: January 11, 2021, 02:29:14 AM » Author: joseph_125
I've been transferring most of my collection pictures and some of the better streetlight pictures from GoL to here. I'm debating about the rest of them as a lot of those streetlight photos were taken prior to 2014 and show a lot of HPS luminaires that have since been replaced with LED.

GoL was also less popular than LG but for the first few years the site was pretty active with lots of new pictures and comments. The problem is a lot of original members moved on (from the site, not sure if from lighting as some aren't on LG) and stopped visiting GoL and the few that remained more or less migrated to LG over the years. 
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #140 on: January 11, 2021, 07:32:40 AM » Author: rjluna2
I have been able to upload grabs that are related to the lighting stuff to the Gallery of Lights without any problem.  As for here, there was some complaint from the management that it is inappropriate for me to upload here while other do upload their historical pictures which it is related to these grabs I have uploading ???

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #141 on: January 11, 2021, 08:48:18 AM » Author: Rommie
I have been able to upload grabs that are related to the lighting stuff to the Gallery of Lights without any problem.  As for here, there was some complaint from the management that it is inappropriate for me to upload here while other do upload their historical pictures which it is related to these grabs I have uploading ???
I don't know about that, but what concerns me is uploading pictures that are not original work, i.e. screen grabs and old postcards etc. with no attribution to the original photographer. If the image is historically significant, then fine, but every effort should be made to give credit to the person that took the photo. As for screen grabs from TV shows, if the lamp or fixture is central to the picture, that's one thing, but if it's just in the background and the main picture is of characters from the show, then I'm not sure it's relevant.

The thing that worries me is possible copyright problems. It's probably statistically unlikely, but I'd rather not run the risk of us getting into trouble.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #142 on: January 11, 2021, 04:10:01 PM » Author: LampLover
I don't know about that, but what concerns me is uploading pictures that are not original work, i.e. screen grabs and old postcards etc. with no attribution to the original photographer. If the image is historically significant, then fine, but every effort should be made to give credit to the person that took the photo. As for screen grabs from TV shows, if the lamp or fixture is central to the picture, that's one thing, but if it's just in the background and the main picture is of characters from the show, then I'm not sure it's relevant.

The thing that worries me is possible copyright problems. It's probably statistically unlikely, but I'd rather not run the risk of us getting into trouble.

Not to be rude but I also find the screen captures pointless unless the fixture is the main focal subject

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #143 on: January 11, 2021, 04:58:03 PM » Author: joseph_125
Agreed, while a lighting in film and media section could be of interest to some, I feel like it's not really within the scope of the site unless there are shots of the fixture or lamp as the primary subject.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #144 on: March 17, 2021, 09:34:16 AM » Author: rjluna2
Gallery of Light is down at the moment :wndr:

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #145 on: March 17, 2021, 02:53:52 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Gallery of Light is down at the moment :wndr:

I got a fatal error message when I just tried getting on GoL.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #146 on: March 19, 2021, 08:58:52 AM » Author: rjluna2
I found the forum is working, but the Gallery is down at the Gallery of Lights ???

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #147 on: March 30, 2021, 07:44:14 AM » Author: rjluna2
I sent PM to those two administrator of that site, still haven't heard from yet ???

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #148 on: March 30, 2021, 09:35:36 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: rjluna2
I sent PM to those two administrator of that site, still haven't heard from yet ???
Sad to hear.

I'm gonna see if I can email LilCinnamon sometime.
I think I .might. have an old email address...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #149 on: March 31, 2021, 07:37:03 AM » Author: rjluna2

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies