Author Topic: Gallery of Lights No Longer?  (Read 51957 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #270 on: February 05, 2024, 08:54:47 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: lightinglover8902
Which is weird though since all websites need to be HTTPS now days for security reasons.
There is no private or financial data being transferred on that site (or this one, or for that matter most any other forum-type site) ... HTTPS is not needed.

Quote from: Roi_hartmann
Reason might be that some hosting companies takes extra charge from using https.
This. that extra (and un-needed) 'S' is going to cost more since there are fees associated with the "certificate authority"(ie: company that validates the site's security certificate)

Quote from: rjluna2
Gallery of Lights is down 
Sad but not surprising... One of the reasons I haven't bothered to update my gallery there (I do have both more pic's & info for existing ones) is because it seems like atlest once a year the site goes down and can be down for who knows how long.
I just have a feeling that one of these days it'll just be dead & gone :(

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #271 on: February 05, 2024, 09:48:01 PM » Author: joseph_125
You can contact Joe (joseph_125) that he could help with your GOL account.

Note that I can only reset passwords etc. When the site is down we have to wait until the owner fixes it.

Yeah I'm not surprised the site is down again. It seems to happen at least once per calendar year when the domain/hosting expires or when something in the site breaks. Unfortunately the extended outages really took a toll on the site's membership. It had been in decline for years, but after the first extended outage was really when activity on the site dropped off.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #272 on: February 06, 2024, 05:50:47 AM » Author: Rommie
It's the same with LG. I and the rest of the team can do most things, but if the site goes down, only Patrick can reset it. When we were down a couple of days ago, the settings file got wiped out somehow, he had to restore it from a backup. So I hope that when sites do go down (us or GoL) that people understand why it doesn't always come back up straight away. It's frustrating for me as well when I can't get in..!

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #273 on: February 07, 2024, 01:11:22 PM » Author: rjluna2
Not only the gallery page is down, but the index page as well :(

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #274 on: February 11, 2024, 11:17:41 AM » Author: rjluna2
I just wanted to let you know that Colin (Sailormoon_01_uk) is coming out of his shell and started posting pictures at the Gallery of Lights prior went off.  The other member from this site was being banished has only outlet to post his stuff at that site too.

Of course, I do have some disagreement on this site.  But I do respect this management's policy here.

So, once again I am asking if one of the members on this site can contact the person who host that site to see if he can get this up and running.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #275 on: February 11, 2024, 11:27:13 AM » Author: HPSM250R2
I already sent the owner of the site a text message.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #276 on: February 11, 2024, 01:06:24 PM » Author: rjluna2

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #277 on: February 12, 2024, 04:10:43 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Gallery of Lights is back online.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #278 on: February 12, 2024, 04:41:48 PM » Author: rjluna2
Great! :police: 8;)

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #279 on: February 17, 2024, 10:12:47 AM » Author: Maxim
I know this isn't really related to GoL, but I'd love to help out with the backend of this site. Not sure as to the code used, but I know a fair bit of Python, HTML, and CSS. I feel like learning another coding language, if needed, would be a feasible task for me...

Patrick, this is directed to you. :D

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #280 on: February 21, 2024, 04:22:48 PM » Author: Patrick
I would possibly consider bringing on somebody to assist if they had the necessary experience and were able to make a sizable time commitment.  You might be able to do an excellent job, but training will take time and effort, and perhaps negate the benefit of having a second person.  If in the long run you're able to put in decent amount of hours, that might make up for it, but if you're juggling it along with school, work, or other responsibilities, I might never recoup what I put in.  Even so, if you want to look into it, the site uses PHP and is built on Simple Machines Forum and Coppermine Gallery.  Download and configure them if you want to get more familiar with the software that powers this site.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #281 on: February 21, 2024, 05:29:57 PM » Author: Rommie
There's also a shedload of customisation here as well, and it's all too easy to break something..! I'm no coder, but I've seen it happen  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #282 on: March 29, 2024, 08:40:14 PM » Author: LampLover
GOL is down again for me!

I can't login I get this error message

"
An Error Has Occurred!
Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again."

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #283 on: March 30, 2024, 02:39:26 PM » Author: rjluna2
I was able to access to the GOL recently and uploaded some more pictures there.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #284 on: March 30, 2024, 02:46:07 PM » Author: Patrick
Make sure to use the form on their login page and not the login box in the header.  The quick login box at the top doesn't work.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies