Author Topic: Gallery of Lights No Longer?  (Read 50400 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #210 on: August 18, 2022, 01:57:13 AM » Author: Econolite03
Well, it does seem to have plenty of lackluster quality pictures and the copyrighted content, which I could see that being both a liability and I guess a "PR" issue if L-G bought it out.

Maybe it could be used as a achieve to preserve examples 0f the lighting community in the past. It could also be used as a "extras" site, where content that doesn't meet L-G's criteria could get dumped off. Either way, it would sill be a separate site with different standards, but with some sort of backbone (like with the help of this site) to keep it functional.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #211 on: August 18, 2022, 02:48:18 AM » Author: joseph_125
I'll be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of all the TV/movie screen captures posted on there but there's no site rules against and the other admins at the time were ok with it.

In my opinion one or two posted occasionally is fine but posting a archive of every time a light appears is a bit much in my opinion. The site was more of a place to show pictures of your collection and pictures you take of lighting around instead being a archive for old screen captures.

Preserving the content would be a good idea, perhaps as a static archive. I suppose another lighting site under the LG group would work too with each having slightly different features...like how Facebook also owns Instagram but I'm not sure if the total number of users in the lighting community would be enough to support two separate sites.

At least GoL is still functional to a limited degree right now if you're viewing pictures or posting text. There was a period of several months last year when the gallery was competely iaccessible.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 03:05:58 AM by joseph_125 » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #212 on: August 18, 2022, 06:06:23 AM » Author: Rommie
Where you want a secure/encrypted connection is if you're dealing with financial stuff like transactions or personal/private data - stuff not meant for public viewing.
Actually, I want all communications in and out of my network encrypted, which is why I use a VPN.

Oh, merging GoL with LG..? Erm.. in one word, no.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #213 on: August 18, 2022, 07:46:29 AM » Author: rjluna2
The Gallery of Lights original intention was less restriction set of rules when the Lighting Gallery net was having some kind of disagreement about 13 years ago now no longer an issue.  Some of the original administrator at GOL are no longer active there either.  I'm assuming it would be a major re-learn to code the site again now it is mostly different than it was back then.

The real reason I like that site I used associated with another site that I frequently contributed there such as Internet Movie Car Database that allows me to work with it.

I guess I have to suck it up with Lighting Gallery net's policy on posting my contribution at the Off-Topic page that I rarely go there :-\

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #214 on: August 19, 2022, 03:09:29 AM » Author: joseph_125
To be clear, I don't remember GoL ever being associated with Internet Movie Car Database. It was mostly a thing that you did when you linked to pages on there and started posting movie/TV show screen captures on GoL.

Personally I think that stuff should just be placed on it's own separate site, it would make it easier to search/filter and would allow people that don't want to see the movie/TV show screen captures to avoid it. Perhaps you could make a site called "Online Movie Lighting Database" in a similar manner and post all of that stuff there.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #215 on: August 19, 2022, 07:36:29 AM » Author: rjluna2
Guilty as charged :-[

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #216 on: August 20, 2022, 11:42:53 AM » Author: rjluna2
I have tried to delete the album and re-create another one, but the problem persist ???

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #217 on: August 20, 2022, 12:22:50 PM » Author: Burrito
Hmm, Maybe the system got hacked?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #218 on: August 20, 2022, 01:43:51 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
This is my personal non admin opinion, but anyone still on there NEEDS to backup their files ASAP. Gallery of lights is dead and I'm honestly surprised its even online at all.

I find it is doing a disservice to the lighting community every day further is is still allowed online in such a sorry state. The owner should consider selling it off or give it to someone who actually cares.

I was once a member there, offered to spruce it up with icons and stuff. ~ nothing ~ was heard. Closed my account and ran far away.

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #219 on: August 20, 2022, 02:34:02 PM » Author: Rommie
Sammi and I had accounts there at one time, but nobody ever even looked at our uploads, let alone commented, so we left. It was mostly about US streetlights anyway, which really isn't our interest.

I hope it can be revived, for those interested in that subject, but I'm not holding my breath. I do agree it should either be brought up to date and actively maintained, or just taken down.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #220 on: August 20, 2022, 04:02:30 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, to be honest, if there was a easy way to import my pictures from GoL to LG, I probably would have imported the ones I wanted on LG. Unfortunately the only way to do it now is to manually upload them to LG which means even if I don't upload any new pictures, I would have to do it 10 per day. That said I do have all of the original files but it would be nice to keep the descriptions.

As for my own files, I went through the tedious process of saving every single one. Unless things change much with GoL I probably won't be uploading much new stuff anyway. It's a shame the owner just sorta left the site to it's own devices like that.

I have tried to delete the album and re-create another one, but the problem persist ???

From my understanding of how the site works, deleting albums does nothing to free up space, you have to delete the file individually, that will free up enough space for a new file.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 06:37:21 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #221 on: August 20, 2022, 10:31:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I updated the info on some of my pic's there mainly as a test, and that functionality still works fine.

Over a few month period, end of last year/beginning of this, I had backed up all the "text data" associated with my pic's there .. a slow drawn-out process that required viewing each pic individually & saving the page. (and any updates I make to the info, or comments made, then I need to re-save to my backup)

Sadly when/if GOL goes away my gallery there will be 'gone' online .. but atleast I'll still have the info & pic's.
(if I was ever to re-build the gallery somewhere it'd probably be TLR (but thinking about it, I haven't even logged in there in ages.))

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #222 on: August 20, 2022, 10:33:35 PM » Author: Burrito
What does TLR mean?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #223 on: August 20, 2022, 10:35:49 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Rommie
Actually, I want all communications in and out of my network encrypted, which is why I use a VPN.

Oh, merging GoL with LG..? Erm.. in one word, no.

I completely agree with merging LG/GOL. No. Absolutely not.

Oh, and I really don't care if someone knows I go looking at lights .lol.
Or weather/storms/etc

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Gallery of Lights No Longer? « Reply #224 on: August 20, 2022, 10:58:40 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I also agree that the two are not a good mix.

GOL just needs a new owner to step in and give it some love... Most likely someone who is very interested in Street lighting as the main focus on the site has always been centered around street lighting.

It just needs fixed up with software brought up to date. Maybe a light refreshing of the site features, perhaps a new but tastefully classic site look? .... That would be up to the ones registered on the site of course. It has potential and it would be nice to see it realized.

I know how much it means to some of you and I personally found the pictures offered there quite satisfactory in general during my brief stay, just the bugginess and lack of care drove me away.

Administrator #5

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies