Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 192664 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #105 on: May 28, 2019, 11:14:05 PM » Author: Cole D.
The storms never reached here, and *almost* clipped my little brother and family... however... Trotwood Ohio. Not sure
how things are going there right now. I'm really gonna have to see how bad damage is in the morning, through the news of course.
I wasn't able to do a Live Update on here, since I was on the phone with my little brother. The storm in Trotwood looked
as if it was heading directly towards Kettering Ohio, where my parents and little brother live.
Trotwood Ohio... remember that county name... because there is a chance that a large, violent, destructive and deadly tornado
has hit there tonight. There is also a chance that, this same tornado may have hit areas I'm familiar with, such as the
Fairfield Commons mall and surrounding areas. Of course, I could be wrong. I don't know much right now since it's too early
to tell tonight. But... if I'm correct, there could be catastrophic damage in familiar areas. Very classic and violent Supercell
storms passed very close tonight. The closest I've ever seen... I, along with my bro and fam, might have dodged a bullet.
I'll keep you guys posted.
The NWS (National Weather Service) did indeed confirm there to have been a large and destructive tornado in Trotwood Ohio.
Again, I wasn't able to update as it took place, since I was busy.
Update: Basically... Montgomery County, Mercer County Ohio... many, many areas near where I live have major damage, guys.
This will make national news. As of now at 1:44am, 55,000 people are out of power. Major damage, including schools.

I'm glad you were okay where you were. I saw that on the news this morning, plus I know several people in Ohio as well in that area.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #106 on: May 29, 2019, 12:32:46 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: GE101R
90+ here and dry. We were record rain in December thru April and then Mother Nature turned the faucet off.
I wouldn't mind feeling a good 90+ dry day here .lol.
Nov/Dec/first half of Jan was pretty much drought conditions here...then towards the end of January we started getting snow, and ended up above average by spring (and well above average snowpack in some mountain areas. to the point of having record numbers of avalanches).

Totally different than last year, where by this date parts of the mountains were bone dry - primed & ready for forest fires, which by mid June   started happening :(
(that thankfully won't be an issue this year.)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #107 on: May 29, 2019, 02:37:14 AM » Author: tolivac
VERY SEVERE hot weather where I am-100 degrees!!!!No real rain in sight.Anyone else here having severe heat?
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #108 on: May 29, 2019, 11:52:31 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I'm supposed to have severe weather at 4AM on Thursday. I'm gonna stay up for it...

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #109 on: May 29, 2019, 07:40:57 PM » Author: CEB1993
The storms never reached here, and *almost* clipped my little brother and family... however... Trotwood Ohio. Not sure
how things are going there right now. I'm really gonna have to see how bad damage is in the morning, through the news of course.
I wasn't able to do a Live Update on here, since I was on the phone with my little brother. The storm in Trotwood looked
as if it was heading directly towards Kettering Ohio, where my parents and little brother live.
Trotwood Ohio... remember that county name... because there is a chance that a large, violent, destructive and deadly tornado
has hit there tonight. There is also a chance that, this same tornado may have hit areas I'm familiar with, such as the
Fairfield Commons mall and surrounding areas. Of course, I could be wrong. I don't know much right now since it's too early
to tell tonight. But... if I'm correct, there could be catastrophic damage in familiar areas. Very classic and violent Supercell
storms passed very close tonight. The closest I've ever seen... I, along with my bro and fam, might have dodged a bullet.
I'll keep you guys posted.
The NWS (National Weather Service) did indeed confirm there to have been a large and destructive tornado in Trotwood Ohio.
Again, I wasn't able to update as it took place, since I was busy.
Update: Basically... Montgomery County, Mercer County Ohio... many, many areas near where I live have major damage, guys.
This will make national news. As of now at 1:44am, 55,000 people are out of power. Major damage, including schools.

@suzukir122, I'm glad to hear you and your family rode it out.  I'm glad y'all are okay!  Those tornado outbreaks look so scary  :o  I can't imagine having my entire house torn down in just one day and having to start all over.  I'm blessed to say that I've never seen a tornado in real life.

This high pressure system is causing some unusual weather patterns, with severe thunderstorms in the northeast, in NY state, New York City, and other nearby places where I lived the past 8 months.  Meanwhile, the southeast is being baked with temperatures near 100 and not a trace of rain.  It was 98 degrees with high humidity today.  Not a chance of rain for at least 9 more days here. We have also had some gusty winds from the south and southwest, blowing in more hot air. 

My bedroom feels like the beer cave at the gas station  ;D  Window box A/C, ceiling fan, and Lasko oscillating fan.  At least I'm sleeping well in all this heat.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #110 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:39 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: lightinglover8902
I'm supposed to have severe weather at 4AM on Thursday. I'm gonna stay up for it...
Why stay up all night? ... just let the thunder wake you.

I got woken twice monday night(technically tuesday morning I guess) bu little thunderstorms. One the lightning was hitting close, so it was loud! (also hailed), the 2nd one was smaller & lightning not so close. (but on radar it looked like both cells crossed right overhead.)
We got 4 little storms in a 24-hour period, 3 of which contained hail (all moved through quickly & no damage)

Quote from: CEB1993
I'm blessed to say that I've never seen a tornado in real life.
Most I've ever seen is a small funnel cloud, and that was a long time ago.
I would absolutely  love to see an actual tornado! (not at home ofcourse, which really can't happen anyway, so I'm safe there) but out in an open field where there's no houses/buildings to demolish.

---------------
Interesting thing with the weather, is I've heard nothing about the hot dry conditions some of you have mentioned.
In the summer here, that would likely give a 'red flag warning' for forest fires in the mountains.

I was gonna start planting some of my garden plants this weekend, but its just too cool at night yet.
Had also considered going camping in the mountains this weekend, but considering it snowed up there today & might aggain tomorrow (as well as being cold on the weekend) that plan is delayed...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:25:48 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #111 on: May 29, 2019, 09:22:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I also on the news this evening that the tornado which hit Linwood Kansas yesterday has been rated EF-4 :o

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #112 on: May 29, 2019, 10:08:42 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
@xmaslightguy

Why, because of isolated tornadoes is possible...

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #113 on: May 29, 2019, 10:50:59 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: lightinglover8902
Why, because of isolated tornadoes is possible...
So you don't miss the chance of recording one then?? ;D

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #114 on: May 29, 2019, 10:59:31 PM » Author: Cole D.
I like being woken to thunderstorms and also rain. Especially when I wake as the thunder starting as the storm is approaching and then it gets louder and finally the rain starts. I love being in bed during a thunderstorm and just listening to it, and not having to be in it.

Although I do like driving though when a storm is approaching too and watching things blow around or see the lightning in the distance... I don't like driving in pouring rain though.

None of that will probably happen any time soon, since we tend to get the storms in the summer when it's hot and in the fall when the cool air collides with warm air. Although it was 94 today here, but no clouds in sight.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #115 on: May 30, 2019, 12:21:41 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
I like being woken to thunderstorms and also rain. Especially when I wake as the thunder starting as the storm is approaching and then it gets louder and finally the rain starts. I love being in bed during a thunderstorm and just listening to it, and not having to be in it.

Although I do like driving though when a storm is approaching too and watching things blow around or see the lightning in the distance... I don't like driving in pouring rain though.

None of that will probably happen any time soon, since we tend to get the storms in the summer when it's hot and in the fall when the cool air collides with warm air. Although it was 94 today here, but no clouds in sight.

Unless, its not severe.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #116 on: May 30, 2019, 08:25:37 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Cole D, I'm with you there man. I also like being in bed during a typical thunderstorm and listening to the rain
hitting the ceiling and window. It's oddly satisfying, actually. The sound of rain ends up being louder in my living room
because of the vaulted ceiling. But if the storm is a severe storm or if it's been upgraded to the Supercell Storm status,
that's a totally different story.
That night when the tornadoes went through Ohio, before everything happened, I was looking at that storm closest to Dayton.
It was heading East on radar and it was severe. As it became a Supercell, it began to curve towards the South East as if it
had a mind of it's own. By that time, the first major tornado had already touched down in Trotwood Ohio, and was heading
towards Beavercreek Ohio, very close to Kettering Ohio, where my brother and parents live. The storm was not in my area,
but I did get to see vivid lightning flashes from behind my apartment illuminating the cars in the parking lot.
The lightning was literally continuous. There was no point at which it stopped... and the thunder wouldn't stop either.
When I noticed the unusual crazy non stop lighting and thunder... that's when I started taking in how serious/scary
this was. The power was also beginning to flicker during this. So yeah that's also about the time I noticed the storm quickly
curving towards Beavercreek. Things began unraveling fast, so I called my bro and parents to let them know to take
it seriously and take cover. Side note, NONE of us have basements. And since the tornado warning was North of me, I only
heard one tornado siren. My bro and parents heard all of their sirens though since they were almost in the middle of the warning.
It's odd that my brother and my parents were closer to the storm than me, yet they didn't even get any rain either.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #117 on: May 30, 2019, 08:48:02 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Cole D.
I don't like driving in pouring rain though.
Hail is even worse.

Quote from: suzukir122
The lightning was literally continuous. There was no point at which it stopped... and the thunder wouldn't stop either.
Those rare storms with rapid-fire lightning are dang cool to watch.

Quote from: suzukir122
It's odd that my brother and my parents were closer to the storm than me, yet they didn't even get any rain either.
That's weather for you .lol. allot depends on how close/where in relation to the storm they were...

----------------
I have a basement, but that is a place you would not find me during a storm...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:51:15 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #118 on: May 30, 2019, 09:50:46 PM » Author: Cole D.
Another thing I like, is being in my bathroom when a storm is coming. Because there's a window in there but you can't see through it. The sound of the wind outside you can hear through the window, and the tile makes it amplified. And you wonder if it's raining or wind that makes the noise.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #119 on: May 30, 2019, 09:55:40 PM » Author: Cole D.
@suzuki122, I know what you mean though. Plus during the hurricane Irma, it came through at night when I was trying to sleep, and I just couldn't seem to. The wind was loud blowing on our storm shutters, and I'd keep hearing the sheets of rain blow against the roof. It sounded like it might be like to be in a giant dishwasher. And the whole time there was banging of debris against the shutters, tree limbs hitting the roof and yard, and creaking sounds coming from the attic. I was afraid the roof was going to come off. For a while I tried to sleep on my floor, and also got in my closet for a while. Finally I got back in the bed and went to sleep. I do not like when hurricanes get like that.

Plus the power was off so it was very dark and with the shutters over the windows couldn't see anything outside.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies