Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 195435 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1065 on: April 02, 2024, 05:23:46 AM » Author: suzukir122
I'm highly considering getting some video, but not much space is left on my phone unfortunately, and my phone is my only camera as of now. If I take
video, I'd probably take it from my garage, since there is ample sky view from there. Not very many trees where I live.
First round of severe weather is about to hit already, but this is in the form of severe storms. No supercell storms yet.
A pretty potent squall line is about to hit my area and it is severe warned. Quarter sized hail and damaging winds.
Later on today will be the time for the bigger storms.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1066 on: April 02, 2024, 06:04:27 AM » Author: AngryHorse
That would be cool, I love watching those storm videos that people film in the US on YouTube  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1067 on: April 02, 2024, 06:17:45 AM » Author: suzukir122
The storm that just passed wasn't all that intense, although it did look intense on radar. Must've been in a weakening phase as it passed. The severe storm
warning for it also dropped just after it passed my place. And on radar, it also began to get weaker after passing. Much less red in the storm compared to
when it was approaching. No hail, and also not much thunder.
We shall see about later on today though. Especially if we get sunlight to fuel the storms.
I do plan on motorcycle riding a bit today, so there is a chance I might be able to get good video shots from other places other than my apartment. Maybe. lol
This of course being much before the storm arrives.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1068 on: April 02, 2024, 06:32:35 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Here where I live, rain should have been moderate, with occasional hail. Last year (2023), due to a hurricane, all of the clouds went from south to north. We we deprived of rain  ??? while the north was flooded :-X . It is predicted that monsoon season will be shorter, but more intense, so no fun for us :'( ...

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1069 on: April 02, 2024, 06:39:38 AM » Author: suzukir122
Just checked the forecast for the day, from WDTN's YouTube channel... if anyone wants to check out the forecast on YouTube.  ;)
The weather lady Jamie says "This is significant." "Potential for stronger end tornadoes, long tracking tornadoes..."  :wndr:
That is not common for me to hear that forecasted for Ohio.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1070 on: April 03, 2024, 10:19:17 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
The storm that just passed wasn't all that intense, although it did look intense on radar. Must've been in a weakening phase as it passed. The severe storm
warning for it also dropped just after it passed my place. And on radar, it also began to get weaker after passing. Much less red in the storm compared to
when it was approaching. No hail, and also not much thunder.
Basically it outran the instability.
I actually read something about this that day when looking at weather/forecasts with that system, that first round of storms: Once they were into the cooler more stable air they began to weaken/dissipate.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1071 on: April 03, 2024, 10:26:28 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
There certainly was allot of 'activity' from that system, but it could have been far worse with the potential it had.
Below is a map showing all the various storm reports

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1072 on: April 04, 2024, 01:23:42 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah that system could have been far worse. I think the earlier rain stabilized the air. Had there been no rain earlier, I think many catastrophic events
would've unfolded.
One thing I noticed is that schools... stretching down from Dayton Ohio to Nashville Tennessee... closed early due to the severe weather threat. Including
my old high school. I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before, where schools are required to close due to severe weather. Good on all of them.
That truly was a smart move, even if the catastrophic weather event never occurred.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1073 on: April 09, 2024, 09:55:14 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
. I think the earlier rain stabilized the air. Had there been no rain earlier, I think many catastrophic events would've unfolded. 
Morning rain is one of those things that can go either way: It will add humidity (an aweful thing for people .lol. but a good thing if you're a storm), but it will also cool/stabilize the lower level atmosphere ... but really the biggest issue is if the clouds don't clear out quick enough, then there isn't enough time for sunlight to heat things up & destabilize the lower atmosphere, then you get weaker or no storms.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1074 on: April 09, 2024, 10:04:34 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
While not "severe" or "storm" in the way most people would think (there wasn't even clouds) ... where I am got hit by a pretty nasty windstorm on the weekend.
Tons of damaged fences (including mine), lots of large trees taken down (a few onto houses). Mostly spruce & fir that got it, since 'leaf trees' don't have their leaves out they for the most part were fine.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1075 on: April 19, 2024, 02:34:09 PM » Author: marcopete87
It isn't snow: it is hail!

https://www.ilgiornaledivicenza.it/territorio-vicentino/montecchio/grandinata-fuori-stagione-disagi-anche-in-a4-video-1.10682557
https://www.vicenzatoday.it/attualita/grandine-brendola-oggi-18-aprile-2024.html
https://www.la7.it/intanto/video/maltempo-violenta-grandinata-sulla-a4-che-si-copre-di-bianco-le-immagini-18-04-2024-538095
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1076 on: April 19, 2024, 04:00:59 PM » Author: suzukir122
Is that really considered to be hail? Or is it graupel? Hail is typically associated with severe thunderstorms. Graupel and sleet normally fall
during cold enough conditions. Hail is normally bigger than both sleet and graupel.

Interests:

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1077 on: April 19, 2024, 04:12:46 PM » Author: marcopete87
Is that really considered to be hail? Or is it graupel? Hail is typically associated with severe thunderstorms. Graupel and sleet normally fall
during cold enough conditions. Hail is normally bigger than both sleet and graupel.
I didn't know that word ;)
Temperature dropped from 25°C to 6°C that day (77°F to 42°F)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #1078 on: April 19, 2024, 11:18:06 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: marcopete87
Temperature dropped from 25°C to 6°C that day (77°F to 42°F)

I can't see those links, so don't know what's there.
but can say 42F is too warm for graupel.. it really needs to be close to (or below) freezing for that to fall. (and within the cloud there must be a layer where water gets below freezing, but not enough that it freezes...until it encounters a falling partially-formed snowflake, when it does it freezes instantly to that, forming a somewhat-soft white ball). Interesting stuff, & kinda cool to see when it happens.

You no doubt had a coldfront come through that day with with a temperature drop like that.
I'm guessing you had a line of convective storms along the coldfront, and strong enough updraft within them for hail. Not uncommon at all for that to happen(atleast where I'm at). Storm doesn't have to be severe to produce small hail (half-inch or less)

(There's also something called 'ice-pellets' (or 'sleet') which look like tiny hail...but are formed differently than hail, and requires below freezing)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies