Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 195239 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #330 on: January 17, 2020, 08:32:02 AM » Author: Rommie
Possible snowstorm tomorrow here.
As long as you keep hold of it and don't let it anywhere near us, that's fine  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #331 on: January 17, 2020, 08:30:12 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: sox35
As long as you keep hold of it and don't let it anywhere near us, that's fine  ;D
But a thunderstorm is a good thing .. the more the better ;)
He can send it my way instead . LOL
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:07:31 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #332 on: January 17, 2020, 08:36:45 PM » Author: mdcastle
We just got nailed with snow here. I appreciate everyone's understanding that it would be difficult to start sales of my fixture haul in the middle of the Minnesota winter. In the mean time they're on my deck instead of a scrapyard and they'll still be there when we get a break in the weather.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #333 on: January 20, 2020, 09:47:19 AM » Author: CEB1993
No snow for us here down South yet. It’s really cold here today with a high temperature of only 42F, cold for our standards. The big mass of cold Canadian air has moved in from the northwest and has affected temperatures as far south as Florida.

When it snows in SC, the recipe is usually a blast of northern cold air and a low pressure system moving in from the south from the Gulf of Mexico. When rain moves in from the south and hits the cold air, it usually brings us a decent snowfall. This often happens in January or February so there’s still time to get our annual snow  :)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #334 on: January 20, 2020, 09:58:43 AM » Author: CEB1993
After the power outage during our possible tornado last weekend I got a power failure light. It serves as a night light and a rechargeable flashlight when power supply is cut off.

I found my other lounge chair, blown about 100 feet away from the house and down a huge hill. No way I can get to it without falling down a steep hill and cliff  ??? No official reports of a tornado near my house, but I’m finding that hard to believe with the scale of damage I had in the yard.

Another thing I’m aware of when I lose power is food in the fridge. I try not to open the fridge too much to keep the cold air inside and preserve my food.  Nothing worse than moldy cheese or warm “skunked” beer  :P I’m glad I have a big Yeti cooler to put all my perishable food in if the power goes out.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #335 on: January 20, 2020, 01:38:02 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah... @CEB1993, please, please, PLEASE don't EVER eat moldy cheese. lol... not that you said you would, but
still... with me, if cheese or perishable food gets slightly warmer, it's gone. Instant trash. So I would throw away every
single thing inside my fridge, if I had a power outage for more than at least 3 hours.
I've had some baaaaddd experiences with consuming perishable food after it's gotten warm.
Anyways, hopefully 2020 isn't a bad year regarding severe weather, but for some odd reason, I feel like it will be.
I feel like somewhere in the midwest and eastern portion of the country, there will be an outbreak of powerful
Supercells, with historic storm strength/damage/number of fatalities. I hope I'm wrong... this is just a gut feeling.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #336 on: January 20, 2020, 02:06:46 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yeah... @CEB1993, please, please, PLEASE don't EVER eat moldy cheese. lol... not that you said you would, but
still... with me, if cheese or perishable food gets slightly warmer, it's gone. Instant trash. So I would throw away every
single thing inside my fridge, if I had a power outage for more than at least 3 hours.
I've had some baaaaddd experiences with consuming perishable food after it's gotten warm.

Anyways, hopefully 2020 isn't a bad year regarding severe weather, but for some odd reason, I feel like it will be.
I feel like somewhere in the midwest and eastern portion of the country, there will be an outbreak of powerful
Supercells, with historic storm strength/damage/number of fatalities. I hope I'm wrong... this is just a gut feeling.

We try our hardest not to throw away food that could have been eaten.   :'(

With cheese that has mould growing on it, when it shouldn't have, we cut the mould off back to the good cheese.

This year we are keeping a record of exactly how much food waste we produce, so far this year it's at just under half a pound, and that's for both of us.!

The average here in Scotland for the same period is 6.6 pounds.!!  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:09:25 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #337 on: January 20, 2020, 02:12:30 PM » Author: CEB1993

Yeah, rotten cheese is disgusting. I ate some expired gouda by mistake and I haven't liked gouda ever since. I can't stand it when rancid food stinks up my fridge. Makes me want to get some latex gloves and a big trash bag and toss everything! I've heard that keeping an open box of baking soda keeps the fridge smelling fresh. One of the worst parts of losing power after a severe weather event.

I agree, it's been a relatively mild winter thus far so we could get some nasty tornado outbreaks in March or April if the mild weather pattern continues. It's a bad sign if we're already getting tornadoes in January in Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina.  The strongest tornado recorded in SC was an F4, though nearby Alabama has had several F5's throughout recorded history. I think we're due for a small tornado outbreak or hailstorms this year. Like you, I hope I'm wrong about imminent severe weather later this year too.

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #338 on: January 20, 2020, 02:53:41 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Mandolin Girl, I can't risk it over here. haha... I've really had bad experiences with food that I thought
was good. Some of the worst pains I've ever had... the stomach pain. I literally thought I was gonna die
on the day it happened.

@CEB1993, I hope we're wrong... and I honestly think a big tornado outbreak could be possible if the conditions
are right. Organized, violent, deadly Supercells spawning multiple large tornadoes. That's where my gut feeling is
at... but I hope I'm wrong. As a thunderstorm enthusiast, I know there is a limit to where things can get
very much out of hand really quick, even for the storm enthusiasts like myself.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #339 on: January 20, 2020, 03:08:11 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Suzuki:

Most food waste in this country is from cooking too much, we very rarely have any wastage from that, and as for food in the fridge and freezer we try and not overstock.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #340 on: January 20, 2020, 08:50:29 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
It’s really cold here today with a high temperature of only 42F, cold for our standards.
LOL @ 'really cold' for 42. It was somewhere around that as a high here yesterday, considered it sorta warm (considering its mid January) ... I was outside for awhile in short-sleeves while taking down Christmas lights.
(but some key factors.. it was sunny, no wind, and low humidity)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #341 on: January 20, 2020, 08:55:27 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Yep, we’re in for some cold days ahead.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #342 on: January 20, 2020, 08:59:37 PM » Author: 589
Every day of winter that passes is one day closer to my favorite weather, 85F+ and 100% humidity. Tomorrow a low of 24F here *thumbs down*.

:lps:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #343 on: January 20, 2020, 09:02:25 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
I can't stand it when rancid food stinks up my fridge. Makes me want to get some latex gloves and a big trash bag and toss everything!
Worst I've seen/smelled was multiple gallons of milk (plus some food) that sat in a for a week with no refrigeration :o (the fridge died during a week when work was closed for a holiday break)

The milk jugs were all separated inside, and they'd swelled up too...

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #344 on: January 20, 2020, 09:07:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: 589
Every day of winter that passes is one day closer to my favorite weather, 85F+ and 100% humidity. Tomorrow a low of 24F here *thumbs down*.
I'll gladly take the 85F .. that's pretty much perfect :)
But 100% humidity :o .eek. LOL .. gotta keep that down to under 20%

-----------
Also every day of winter that passes is a day closer to thunderstorm season! And I love a good storm. We just don't get enough of them here..

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies