Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 195157 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #345 on: January 20, 2020, 09:30:08 PM » Author: Lumex120
Every day of winter that passes is one day closer to my favorite weather, 85F+ and 100% humidity. Tomorrow a low of 24F here *thumbs down*.
By the end of February I find myself counting down the days until summer is here...  ;D

Unofficial LG Discord

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #346 on: January 21, 2020, 06:48:24 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
By the end of February I find myself counting down the days until summer is here...  ;D
Me too, I'm tired of winter by then.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #347 on: January 21, 2020, 02:17:53 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Heres the detector that I now soldered.  Since the CD4026 counter method was difficult (because it needs loads of wires to the segments) I used a Arduino for the counter. All I need is a project box that is deep enough to fit a rechargeable battery in it. Plus it has a alarm comparator for the severe thunderstorm LED which is tied in to the meter circuit, so when ever that the meter points to "SEVERE" the red LED will come on.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #348 on: January 21, 2020, 02:20:47 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
And here's the detector itself.  ;)

UPDATE: I think I may not use the alarm comparator, because if I change the meter sensitivity resistor, its gonna mess up the comparator chip. I also am decided to use the Cd4026 counter for the lightning counts.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:52:22 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #349 on: January 21, 2020, 08:46:36 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000

I was tired of winter back in DECEMBER ! On Sunday, we had a high of 16°F , today we had a heat wave... It was 28°F  ::)

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #350 on: January 21, 2020, 09:53:34 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
I found my other lounge chair, blown about 100 feet away from the house and down a huge hill. No way I can get to it without falling down a steep hill and cliff  ??? No official reports of a tornado near my house, but I’m finding that hard to believe with the scale of damage I had in the yard.
Assuming ofcourse that this was a supercell storm, it coulda been the storm's RFD (Rear-Flank Downdraft) .. those RFD winds can sometimes get quite strong & do a fair bit of damage.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #351 on: January 21, 2020, 10:44:05 PM » Author: suzukir122
Supercell storms themselves can produce winds from 70, to even 100mph or more lol
RFD is likely, but it's certainly not the only kind of winds Supercells are known for, besides the Tornado of course lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #352 on: January 22, 2020, 06:55:04 AM » Author: 589
I'll gladly take the 85F .. that's pretty much perfect :)
But 100% humidity :o .eek. LOL .. gotta keep that down to under 20%

-----------
Also every day of winter that passes is a day closer to thunderstorm season! And I love a good storm. We just don't get enough of them here..

I’ve been to Colorado (Colorado Springs) a few years back for a week, I about turned into a raisin it was so dry. I’m not used to humidity being so low I was drinking water constantly just trying to not get dehydrated. It is a beautiful place though I wouldn’t mind coming back to visit instead of work. I’ll just make sure to take my gallon water jug with me next time lol.

Here in GA I don’t think the humidity drops below 50% very often, though I imagine places in FL can handily top that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:01:05 AM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #353 on: January 22, 2020, 09:13:49 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I’ve been to Colorado (Colorado Springs) a few years back for a week, I about turned into a raisin it was so dry. I’m not used to humidity being so low I was drinking water constantly just trying to not get dehydrated. It is a beautiful place though I wouldn’t mind coming back to visit instead of work. I’ll just make sure to take my gallon water jug with me next time lol.

Here in GA I don’t think the humidity drops below 50% very often, though I imagine places in FL can handily top that.

I remember Georgia winters, I'll take 22°and snowing over 36° and raining any day ! The dry winter days were nice , the wet winter days SUCKED ! :D

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #354 on: January 22, 2020, 11:54:06 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Yep there's the other winds too - like the FFD & downbursts both of which can be significant...
but its the RFD in particular being the one you don't want to get caught up in. Some can cause damage equivalent to a weak tornado.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #355 on: January 23, 2020, 12:10:26 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: 589

Yep I've heard that if you're not used to the lack of humidity here, it has an effect on you like that!
Sometimes we'll even get single-digit humidity values - basically pure desert-like days in the summer. .lol.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #356 on: January 23, 2020, 02:56:40 PM » Author: Rommie
I just don't like winter. If I had the money, I'd travel the world to find summer wherever it happened to be at the time  :D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #357 on: January 23, 2020, 03:52:28 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Possible snowstorm tomorrow here.
Nice, get some pictures of it!  :D, last time we had a decent snow fall here was March 2006!, this was our street when  it was still SOX lit!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #358 on: January 23, 2020, 04:17:54 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Nice, get some pictures of it!  :D, last time we had a decent snow fall here was March 2006!, this was our street when  it was still SOX lit!

It didn't happen. I don't think well get any snow at all this winter.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #359 on: January 23, 2020, 04:22:41 PM » Author: Rommie
It didn't happen. I don't think well get any snow at all this winter.
Fortunately, we don't get much at all here, being right on the coast. Go inland a few miles and they get it, though. But not nearly as much as years ago.

I HATE SNOW..!!!

Did I mention I hate snow..? It always, but ALWAYS, finds its way down the back of my neck, however many layers of clothing I put on. And I ALWAYS slip over at least once on icy ground  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies