Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190177 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #420 on: February 19, 2020, 07:00:17 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Not natural weather, but earlier this morning there was a huge fire at a metal scrapping place and car junkyard decently far away from here. However, the fumes from it carried all over the Twin Cities area and so throughout the whole day it smelled like burning plastic and wires everywhere you went. It's been almost 24 hours since it happened and it still is noticeable but it has improved a bit.
Yes there were two fires on separate abandoned barns here towards the beginning of the year. And the ruins are still there. ::)

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #421 on: February 20, 2020, 09:33:44 AM » Author: Rommie
Storm Dennis is devastating large parts of the UK, some areas could see a month's worth of rain in 24 hours  :o

Fortunately we are ok here, others aren't so lucky, I can't imagine what it must be like to lose everything  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #422 on: February 20, 2020, 07:19:23 PM » Author: CEB1993
Storm Dennis is devastating large parts of the UK, some areas could see a month's worth of rain in 24 hours  :o

Fortunately we are ok here, others aren't so lucky, I can't imagine what it must be like to lose everything  :'(

Oh wow! We had the same thing two weeks ago, a month's worth of rain in one day. As expected, we had some nasty flooding and a lot of impassible roads. Must be some type of jet stream action that's bringing all this heavy rain to the eastern USA and the British isles. Hope y'all stay safe  :)

We had a little snow today. Started out as rain this morning and then the temperature dropped to about 35F in the afternoon and we had some wet snow. Nothing really stuck, but it was still pretty to watch. The temperature's going to drop to a cold 25F tonight, which will cause some black ice tomorrow. Even with 4WD, ice can make any car lose control. That often happens where I live, with temps. dropping well below freezing after some mixed wintery precipitation and causing an icy, dangerous mess the next day.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #423 on: February 20, 2020, 07:42:01 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: sox35
Storm Dennis
wow that little storm that moved through here last week, leaving a few inches of snow certainly has grown & strengthened :o

Looks a bit like a hurricane on the satellite images..

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #424 on: February 20, 2020, 11:44:36 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Oh wow! We had the same thing two weeks ago, a month's worth of rain in one day. As expected, we had some nasty flooding and a lot of impassible roads. Must be some type of jet stream action that's bringing all this heavy rain to the eastern USA and the British isles. Hope y'all stay safe  :)

We had a little snow today. Started out as rain this morning and then the temperature dropped to about 35F in the afternoon and we had some wet snow. Nothing really stuck, but it was still pretty to watch. The temperature's going to drop to a cold 25F tonight, which will cause some black ice tomorrow. Even with 4WD, ice can make any car lose control. That often happens where I live, with temps. dropping well below freezing after some mixed wintery precipitation and causing an icy, dangerous mess the next day.

4WD will help you get moving but does little or NOTHING to help you turn or stop ! :lol:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #425 on: February 21, 2020, 12:11:42 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Got a couple inches of snow here last night.
Temp also dropped down to 0F

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #426 on: February 21, 2020, 06:48:14 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Still no snow, but really cold here.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #427 on: February 21, 2020, 05:10:05 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Expecting lower 50s this weekend.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #428 on: March 01, 2020, 11:16:07 AM » Author: boiler1011
Happy First Day of Tornado Season 2020!
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #429 on: March 01, 2020, 01:11:18 PM » Author: CEB1993
This severe thunderstorm hit 3 years ago today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvDup4ZPhl0

About halfway through this short clip, a gust of wind blew rain and pea-sized hail against the side of the house. This was one nasty storm with 50 mph wind gusts and a lot of cloud to ground lightning.

March 2017 was a brutal month of severe weather for me. Two weeks after the March 1st storm we had the worst hailstorm I'd ever seen. About 30 minutes of golfball sized hail! This huge hail damaged the roof, ripped off a few pieces of siding, and destroyed my car. My old VW Jetta had hundreds of tiny dents and the insurance company said it was "totaled." I'm amazed the windows didn't break! Check out the horrific hailstorm here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueVaQbfyuTc

Here's hoping this year's severe weather season is less destructive  ;)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #430 on: March 01, 2020, 01:43:06 PM » Author: CEB1993
There’s no surviving hail like in my video without serious injuries. Many hailstones have sharp, jagged edges. Probably one of the most dangerous forms of severe weather along with debris thrown by strong wind and flooding.

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #431 on: March 01, 2020, 01:56:43 PM » Author: Cole D.
No rain here the last few days. Friday and Saturday were chilly in the low 60s. Nights to low in the lower 40s. The sun did come out, but it was clear and windy, which made chance for warming up much low. Today it is sunny and beautiful out and 73 right now.  :bulbman:

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #432 on: March 01, 2020, 02:59:00 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Severe storms on Wednesday here in SE Texas.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #433 on: March 02, 2020, 08:13:34 AM » Author: suzukir122
@CEB1993, that first video you linked to was definitely severe. Vivid constant lightning, pea/possibly quarter sized hail,
and high winds. I'm thinking that was more than 50mph winds though. Maybe 60mph. That showed pretty much everything a severe
thunderstorm typically brings, so I would've been surprised if it didn't have a severe thunderstorm warning issued for it.
The second one you posted might've been a possible Supercell. Did they issue a Tornado Warning for it?

I'm willing to bet, this thread is gonna be LIT this year. No storms yet here though.
Rain in the forecast for Ohio today, but last I checked, we're in the 50's for the early portion of the week, and 40's later on in the week.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #434 on: March 02, 2020, 10:03:06 AM » Author: CEB1993
@CEB1993, that first video you linked to was definitely severe. Vivid constant lightning, pea/possibly quarter sized hail,
and high winds. I'm thinking that was more than 50mph winds though. Maybe 60mph. That showed pretty much everything a severe
thunderstorm typically brings, so I would've been surprised if it didn't have a severe thunderstorm warning issued for it.
The second one you posted might've been a possible Supercell. Did they issue a Tornado Warning for it?

I'm willing to bet, this thread is gonna be LIT this year. No storms yet here though.
Rain in the forecast for Ohio today, but last I checked, we're in the 50's for the early portion of the week, and 40's later on in the week.

Thanks for checking out my videos!  :) The first video was from a squall line that swept quickly through the region. I think it was part of a cold front. The second video of the hailstorm was a confirmed microburst. The huge hail was reported within a relatively small 2 mile radius. My house and car were heavily damaged, while other people in town said they didn't get anything. The other strange thing about this microburst was how slowly it moved. It basically parked right over and dumped nonstop hail before running out of steam.

It's still cold (for SC standards) here with plenty of rain in the forecast. We have rain showers and highs in the 50's and low 60's forecasted for most of the week. No signs of any severe or otherwise interesting weather so far this month.

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies