Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 195084 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #540 on: April 08, 2020, 09:41:33 PM » Author: CEB1993
We missed out on severe weather last night in Franklin Ohio while I was at work, but Fairborn Ohio and places
around it got hit pretty good with what looks to be quarter sized hail from a severe thunderstorm.
Franklin Ohio, where I live, is currently in the yellow for severe thunderstorms tonight again. (Slight risk)

South of Cincinnati, a small line of broken unorganized storms just developed. I wouldn't be surprised if
they become Supercells/large hail producing storms.  

We missed the chance to get some exciting severe storms here too. Yesterday and today felt like typical Southern summer days with humidity and hot temperatures suitable for thunderstorms to develop. We had a chance of isolated severe storms with chances of strong wind and hail. We're having a cold front come through tonight to cool off the temperatures and bring some overnight storms. I saw some beautiful thunderheads and rain falling from distant clouds as I drove home today. Maybe the same front will bring some interesting weather up in Ohio for you.

They're calling for heavy rain here on Easter Sunday. Tons of rain forecasted, up to 2 inches in 48 hours. Could cause some localized flooding and slippery driving conditions. At least it will wash away some of the pollen  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:43:21 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #541 on: April 08, 2020, 11:13:53 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah we had some interesting weather here just now @CEB1993, but it was left overs again. The storms weakened as they
got here. Brought a little bit of hail to my private patio/porch, but that's pretty much it. Not much.
Storms developed in front of the main line though, and that's when I got to see a decent base cloud with lightning dancing
around it. That portion of the storm was the most severe, bringing the short term small hail. But the main line behind that
cell moved in and weakened significantly. I still got to see my first official strong thunderstorm here at this new apartment.
That. Was. Awesome. Literally lightning dancing everywhere. Not as much as a Supercell storm of course, but still very awesome
to watch.
Now... those same storms were definitely much stronger out west when we had sunlight/daytime heating. I wonder if there were
any touchdowns/very large hail?

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #542 on: April 08, 2020, 11:45:07 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
Ha... and the winner for Bipolar Weather so far is... Colorado!
Bruh... 70's one half of the week, then snow the other half of the week @Xmaslightguy? That is crazy.
At least I can say that we do not have snow in the forecast at all this week into the next and
I sure hope it STAYS that way.
Yep. .lol.  Forecast at this point shows cooler & chances of rain for thu/fri, then cold & chances of snow for sat/sun

Quote from: suzukir122
Now... those same storms were definitely much stronger out west when we had sunlight/daytime heating. I wonder if there were
any touchdowns/very large hail?
Looking at radar I see a tornado-warned storm in OH  plus one in KY, at this time
Saw one in AR earlier this evening.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #543 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:26 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy yeah there were several tornado warnings around Cincinnati earlier. Especially Cincinnati compared to everywhere else in Ohio.

Story time. lol... my friend wasn't worried about the storms heading her direction. She lives in Shoals Indiana. I warned her
that the storms heading her way were severe with possible large hail. (Deep reds/white on radar) She kept sending me Meme's in response. :sick:
Anyway, the storm weakened before it turned into more of a Squall-line as it hit Shoals Indiana. There was still at least a Severe Thunderstorm
Warning on it at the time. I'm guessing this was as soon as the storm hit her: she texts me this... "Tornado. I'm in the bathtub."  :'-)
I checked to see if Shoals had a Tornado Warning... nope. Thunderstorm Warning. She also sent a text telling me her power went out. Soon after,
she sent a picture of a screen shot of what her friends on Facebook were saying and they claimed "a tornado went through Loogootee Indiana."
Sigh... again... no. Straight line winds. Not a tornado. Whatever. At least my friend isn't arguing that it was a tornado though. Seems like she's
taking my word for it. I say this knowing that she does NOT know that I know so much regarding the subject.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #544 on: April 10, 2020, 09:48:53 AM » Author: CEB1993
Major severe weather outbreak expected from Texas to North Carolina this weekend! They’re calling for strong winds, super cell storms, and even a good chance of tornadoes in Mississippi. I haven’t seen such a widespread severe thunderstorm prediction in a long time.

My forecast is calling for up to 3 inches of rain from Sunday morning till Sunday night. There’s also a high risk of severe thunderstorms for most of South Carolina on Sunday. We might get some damaging winds and hail, but a low chance of tornadoes. I’m glad I have the day off of work and Easter church services are on TV. This is one day to avoid being out and about for sure.

On a side note, the Masters golf tournament in Augusta, GA  has been postponed to November due to covid19. It was originally supposed to be this weekend with the final round being on Sunday. They will play golf in heavy rain and strong winds, but any chance of lightning postpones all gameplay. Golf courses are one of the most dangerous places to be in a lightning storm. This severe outbreak will definitely be affecting Augusta and would cause major delays with the golf tournament if it were happening.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #545 on: April 11, 2020, 10:57:44 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
I'm really not into the meme thing (some are funny, but most are just plain dumb), but I did do 2 images (both weather-related) today that basically would qualify as such. Couldn't help it :lol:

Squall-line storms can be pretty intense .. I could see why someone might think there's a tornado especially if they saw it posted on FB or whatever.
As a side note: I'm sure you know it already, but Squall-lines can contain embedded supercells and/or produce non-supercell tornadoes.

--------------
Images below are part of the system CEB1993 is talking about. These are for today (tomorrow looks to be even stronger, but I'll wait before posting anything)
First image is the convective outlook - areas where strong thunderstorms are more likely
Second image is the true 'danger zone' - the tornado outlook

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #546 on: April 11, 2020, 11:09:35 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
This is one day to avoid being out and about for sure.
The opposite .LOL. .. looks like a day to be out storm chasing!
Except ofcourse that violates 'stay at home' orders so you can't

---------------
For me (since its changed a  bit from the last time I posted):
Today's forecasted weather:
Mostly sunnw & high around 70.
Tonight's forecasted weather:
Low of 23 & snow.

Yep suzukir122
There is a good example of the bipolar weather in Colorado!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 11:15:09 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #547 on: April 11, 2020, 01:14:35 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, yup! From 70 degrees to 23 degrees in less than 24 hours... I wonder if that can have a major effect on
sicknesses?

And yep I know Squall-lines can definitely contain embedded Supercells. Heck, that's what happened in Cincinnati that same
night. But in my friends case, the storms weakened and there was no tornado warning for it as it hit her area, or the areas around her.
Loogootee Indiana did have a substation fire shortly afterwards though. And yesterday she sent me a small video of trees down. Apparently
some of those trees hit powerlines.

Tomorrow we're in a green/marginal threat for severe weather. Down south is in the red/moderate risk. That is not good. Long track tornadoes
are expected apparently. Those Supercells could be very brutal... we will see.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #548 on: April 11, 2020, 09:22:49 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
I'm sure for some people that can have an effect on illness
I know for me weather changes can cause me migraine headaches (its in the pressure-change, not temperature) sometimes bad enough that it'll put me down in bed (so far so good with this one)

I believe trees are the most common thing to bring down powerlines. Ideally, the system should detect a problem and cut power (key word 'should')

Yep, I saw tomorrow's 'convective outlook' map .. I was waiting til they put up the updated version, and 'tornado outlook' before posting pic's here

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #549 on: April 11, 2020, 10:25:50 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Tornado warned storm in TX now. Apparently has softball-size hail too :o
Very much a classic hook-echo on the reflectivity radar(left side of 1st image) for this one. (right side of image is radar wind velocity within the clouds)

edited to add 2nd image: check out that hail-core!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:28:56 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #550 on: April 12, 2020, 01:28:03 PM » Author: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, oh snap!! Softball sized hail too... did this one produce a tornado? Possible CLASSIC Supercell right there.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #551 on: April 12, 2020, 01:39:01 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
I don't know if it actually dropped a tornado (if it did, it was only a small/brief one). I didn't see any tornado reports in yesterdays list of NWS storm reports.
At the point I grabbed those images, it was headed straight for the radar site (the rotation/hook/possible tornado shut down before it hit that)

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #552 on: April 12, 2020, 01:46:52 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Today's weather down in the south could be pretty bad:
first image..
upper left: Convective outlook
lower left: The true 'danger zone' tornado outlook
upper right: Hail outlook
lower right: Wind(non-tornadic) outlook

second image...
Lightning between 7:07am - 9:07am (mountain time)

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #553 on: April 12, 2020, 05:05:47 PM » Author: CEB1993
@xmaslightguy: Thank you for those detailed maps! Looks like the highest risk for me will be strong winds. I never knew the National Weather Service produced these detailed weather maps.

I would not want to be in Alabama right now. Tuscaloosa is about to get whooped and probably see a tornado from this nasty looking squall line. I have friends who live in Alabama, so I always pay attention to severe weather there and make sure they’re doing okay  :)

My main severe threat will occur tonight between midnight and 5 am. These storms may intensify as they move further east to my region, so it could be a rough night. It’s been raining heavily today so far. Might get a break from the rain at about 6 pm. After that, the scattered severe storms will arrive and go through South Carolina this evening and overnight.

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #554 on: April 12, 2020, 09:13:54 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@CEB1993:
Welcome.
Those maps come from the SPC (Storm Prediction Center) in Norman OK. Basically the NWS's main office for tracking severe weather
I know the SPC has that info on the web somewhere, but I have a weather app  that makes looking it (and a bunch of other stuff) up easy :)

I've looked at radar various times today, and seen a few tornado warned storms in LS, then a few in MS, and now there's one in AL & one in GA.
Plus I see multiple states have severe thunderstorm warnings...

Hope you remain safe from all this wild weather.

I see the east cost states are in tomorrow's area for severe weather.

---------
For me today its been cold + snow on & off all day today, supposed to continue tonight, with a low in the mid teens, then snow again tomorrow.
Its light snow, so not a whole lot of accumulation.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies