Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190073 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #75 on: May 11, 2019, 03:03:58 PM » Author: CEB1993
We had a severe weather threat yesterday in the Albany, NY area.  A wave of strong thunderstorms came through with "gusty winds and small hail possible."  Thankfully, it was just about 20 minutes of extremely heavy rain in my area.  I parked my car in the parking garage yesterday, because hail is difficult to predict.

Being from South Carolina, hail damage, severe thunderstorms, hurricanes, and heatwaves are all facts of life I've learned to deal with.  I will say, after my year in upstate New York, I'm more comfortable than ever driving on snowy roads.  In New York, life continues normally when it snows.  In South Carolina, the grocery stores sell out of milk and bread and the whole town is shut down, with just three inches of snow.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #76 on: May 22, 2019, 09:45:05 PM » Author: suzukir122
As of right now at 9:40pm, I'm seeing a lot of possibly violent supercell thunderstorms taking place on Interactive Radar
in Missouri, including one with a white core indicating possibly very large hail. A lot of tornado warnings with these cells.
If I'm right, at least one of them *might* produce a very large tornado. If ya'll get the chance, check it out.
This could be a very dangerous situation for them but of course, I'm not sure.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #77 on: May 22, 2019, 10:46:45 PM » Author: Cole D.
My aunt and uncle have been on a driving trip from FL through Missouri and Kansas and fortunately they made it back through without hitting any of the weather. Since there have been a lot of tornadoes in there and around TX.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #78 on: May 22, 2019, 11:12:36 PM » Author: suzukir122
Severe weather season is starting to really activate lol... there will definitely be damage reports in Missouri by tomorrow,
and I'm certain there was tornadoes on the ground. Especially around 9:40pm.
Those storms I'm looking at right now are still Supercells, but they aren't as bad as what they were at 9:40.
Probably still tornadoes being spawned as we speak though... the storms still look very mean.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #79 on: May 23, 2019, 12:28:54 AM » Author: dor123
Now we have in Israel our own severe weather in the form of a giant heat wave: Link (Untranslated) .

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #80 on: May 23, 2019, 07:12:21 AM » Author: dor123
We have now 41*C (105.8*F) and 7-10% humidity at Kiryat Ata.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #81 on: May 23, 2019, 07:21:26 AM » Author: suzukir122
 @Dor123, :o that's the kind of weather I can't bear. I mean, I can deal with hot temps compared to extreme
cold, but 105 degrees/100+ temperatures... absolutely not. 88 degrees is the forecast temperature for this
Saturday over here in Ohio. Even that, might prove to be unbearable for me, since I may ride my motorcycle to work.
No matter how hot the temperature is, I always ride in full gear/armor. We'll see how that goes.

As for the storms I talked about yesterday, unfortunately there are fatalities and major damage that has taken
place in Missouri around the time I talked about those storms at 9:40pm. An apparent large tornado was on the
ground in Jefferson City Missouri at about 9:30pm.

Interests:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #82 on: May 23, 2019, 09:50:30 AM » Author: dor123
Link (Untranslated)

Update:
Link (Untranslated)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:56:26 AM by dor123 » Logged

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #83 on: May 23, 2019, 09:00:03 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: dor123
We have now 41*C (105.8*F) and 7-10% humidity at Kiryat Ata.
I'd take that any day over those times in the winter when it gets below 0*F (-18C)

Quote from: suzukir122
As for the storms I talked about yesterday, unfortunately there are fatalities and major damage that has taken
place in Missouri around the time I talked about those storms at 9:40pm. An apparent large tornado was on the
ground in Jefferson City Missouri at about 9:30pm.
Yep.. 3 known fatalities, lots of damage there. Preliminary rating of EF3.
Then there's all the flooding & other tornadoes (150+ since last Friday) that have occurred around the country.

As for me, no severe weather...
I got snow (5-6 inches in my area, and for awhile it was coming down in cool massive flakes) Monday night. Its been cool & cloudy with little bits of rain since Sunday (plus did get a thundershower friday, even some small hail.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:01:54 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #84 on: May 23, 2019, 09:25:01 PM » Author: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, yeah from what I saw on radar, things could have been much, much worse. Kinda sounds like a lot of those
people took heed of the warnings. And it's awesome that none of those violent Supercell storms produced an EF5 tornado. From
the organization and potency that I could see from some of those storms on radar at 9:40pm yesterday, an EF5 tornado could've
EASILY happened from one of those storms. I'm actually surprised it didn't happen.
I couldn't imagine how much worse things would've been had there been sunlight.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #85 on: May 23, 2019, 09:52:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
I'd looked on radar too, and was watching some of the discussions on the storm track site too.
At points over the last few days (and still going into tonight) some of those areas had some pretty high potential risks in the forecast.
Some of the predicted conditions didn't quite set up right for the strongest/bad storms, so in that respect they got lucky.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #86 on: May 23, 2019, 10:21:56 PM » Author: suzukir122
Those storms were very close to strongest though. Those were some of the strongest Supercell storms I've
seen in a long time on radar. It's very rare for me to see a pearl white core in the middle of the dark red core on
an interactive radar. Anytime that happens, I know for a fact that there has got to be an organized base cloud
very capable of dropping an F4 or F5 tornado, and I know there's definitely very large hail falling from that storm.
But yeah, although those storms could've gotten even worse than that, they were still definitely classic, violent Supercells!

Interests:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #87 on: May 26, 2019, 10:22:25 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Hurricane Season is gonna start next weekend on Saturday, where I live.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #88 on: May 26, 2019, 10:37:56 PM » Author: CEB1993
I’m dealing with a brutal heat wave here in upstate SC. It’s going to be hot and dry for at least another week. Today it hit 100 degrees!  I think this is the earliest 100 degree day I’ve seen.  There’s currently a large high pressure system over the region that’s preventing any rain from developing and keeping the skies clear for the sun to produce insanely hot temperatures and high UV indexes.  This is looking like it’s fixing to be a long, hot, and dry summer here in the South  8)

Some of my strategies to beat the heat:

Go shopping in the morning before it gets hot.

Drink plenty of water, especially when I feel myself sweating.

Drink iced coffee and smoothies.

Use the window box A/C in my bedroom and sleep in my boxers.

Take a cool (not cold) shower.

Close the curtains and blinds on west-facing windows.

Use LED bulbs in the bathroom to prevent the excess heat from my go-to incandescents and halogens.

Wear sunscreen if I have to be outside between noon and sunset.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:54:56 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #89 on: May 26, 2019, 11:21:15 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Yeah, here too. We already hit low 90's of the highs in Southeast Texas. Theres supposed to be a couple of chances of storms this up coming week. Why, the high pressure "heat dome" is starting weaken a little bit, once we hit this up coming week.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:24:23 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies