Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 192341 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #195 on: September 02, 2019, 10:10:26 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
To all of you in the south eastern US : keep your eye to the sky and ears to the TV/Radio and please BE CAREFUL ! Don't want to see anyone get hurt !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #196 on: September 02, 2019, 10:36:17 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@CEB1993:
The orange X closest to Mexico has been upgraded to red (70% chance).. so that one could end up being something Mexico needs to worry about.
And yep that red X in the east Atlantic, plus the yellow(now orange - 50% chance)  area are  the 2 that could could be problems later on.

I think I heard something like around 800k people in SC should prepare to evacuate.
Seeing the latest possible path, it looks like Dorian could go along the whole eastern coast...all the way to the southern edge of Canada.

I have a feeling that Grand Bahama island is gonna be in pretty bad shape, considering that beast has been parked basically ontop of it all day.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #197 on: September 02, 2019, 11:09:33 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yup... 1 mile per hour. Yeeeeppp... you read that right. Dorian, the entire storm, has been moving at only 1 mile per hour
on top of the Bahamas, despite being a major Category 5 hurricane.
@CEB1993, although you might not be in the direct path of the storm, there is still that chance that you'll feel
some high winds up where you are, even if you guys have clear/sunny skies. Certainly not life threatening conditions
though, unless Dorian's path unexpectedly shifts farther to the left/west.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #198 on: September 03, 2019, 12:03:48 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
Yup... 1 mile per hour. Yeeeeppp... you read that right. Dorian, the entire storm, has been moving at only 1 mile per hour
on top of the Bahamas, despite being a major Category 5 hurricane.
Cat 4 now.
Actually 1 mph was last evening.  The NHC has shown it as stationary all day today.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #199 on: September 03, 2019, 12:09:09 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Also in the Pacific there is hurricane Juliette, which has been rapidly intensifying, and is now a category 3. May become a 4 tomorrow.
On a positive note, this one isn't expected to make landfall anywhere, simply heading out to sea.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:14:30 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #200 on: September 03, 2019, 09:56:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
In that pic I posted earlier

The one closest to Mexico is now tropical storm 'Fernand'. Headed toward Mexico, but not expected to reach hurricane strength before landfall tomorrow afternoon/evening.
The red X closest to Africa is now tropical depression eight, may become a tropical storm (Gabrielle) tomorrow.
The yellow area is now shaded red - 70% chance of forming a tropical cyclone in the next 5 days.

Dorian has weakened and is now just a cat-2, and is moving away from the Bahamas at 6mph.

Juliette is expected to start weakening now as it heads out to sea.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:03:27 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #201 on: September 05, 2019, 05:43:42 PM » Author: CEB1993
So this happened in Myrtle Beach, SC today  :o

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurricane-dorian-myrtle-beach-jeep-abandoned-waves

Someone had the incredibly foolish idea to see how far into the rough water they could drive their car.  Of course, the car stalled out and it had to be abandoned.  Due to the terrible weather conditions, not much help could be given to tow the car to safety.  I hope it doesn't get washed away, but it goes to show you how destructive and powerful hurricanes can be.  The flooding and storm surge seen here is often cited as the most dangerous part of any hurricane.  Unfortunately, there's no stopping some people making stupid decisions when severe weather strikes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:45:47 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #202 on: September 05, 2019, 07:19:14 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
Someone had the incredibly foolish idea to see how far into the rough water they could drive their car.  Of course, the car stalled out and it had to be abandoned. 
Someone had a live stream of that up on YouTube earlier today. Had it running for a bit at work.

Some people are far from being the brightest bulb in the strand :lol:

I don't see anything on whether or not it got washed away though.
Either way, the thing is shot now...junkyard material.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #203 on: September 06, 2019, 02:38:02 AM » Author: tolivac
In Greenville,NC-so far not really that bad.Rest of the night to get thru at the transmitter plant-site in on gen power as precaution-did security checks-was able to go outside light rain and wind.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #204 on: September 06, 2019, 08:31:26 AM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah there's nothing anyone can do to prevent the stupidity of others. Doesn't matter how much we try to jam it into their brains...
someone will end up car swimming anyways despite the warning.
Us: "Flooding is dangerous. Flooding is dangerous. Flooding is dangerous."
Them: "Hey guys, lets drive through the flood. It can't be that deep. Duurrrr hah, yeah our SUV can get through that with no problem."
Later on...
Us: "Idiots."
Them: "Ahhhh!! Get the car quick!! Someone help, help, HELP!!!"

Sigh.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #205 on: September 13, 2019, 11:03:52 PM » Author: Cole D.
Since Hurricane Dorian passed up the coast, it hasn't rained here as much as it was before. But there were some rain today and wind, and this weekend it is supposed to rain again, along with Tropical Storm Humberto passing to the east of Florida.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #206 on: September 14, 2019, 12:07:13 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
There was a line of thunderstorms that moved through here on Sunday. I was driving home on a highway near the mountains & was treated to a nice lightning show :)
Some of the storms got severe-warned as they moved farther east in the state.

--------------
@Cole D.
I saw that when it was just a 'disturbance'. Then a depression.
Original forecast-track had it going  across FL & into the golf, then it changed to going right up along the east FL coast like Dorian, nice to see the forecast now showing it staying offshore & then heading out to sea when it becomes a hurricane.

There is also 3 other 'disturbances' out there (1 of which may need watching since it has a 50% chance of cyclone formation in the next 5 days (the other 2 are 20% & 30% ))

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #207 on: September 14, 2019, 12:46:10 AM » Author: Cole D.
Yes and interestingly, last night when I went for walk was thinking about how the weather has been more fall like. Cooler in evenings and a bit windier. It did not feel humid last night like it has been on any other night.

Today we did get some rain showers and windy and cloudy. Plus this evening it was dark looking and saw lightning in distance. Windy and felt like rain was coming but didn't have any.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #208 on: September 14, 2019, 04:01:05 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
moving back to a partial dry and hot pattern here in Denver.  the leaves on the trees won't be changing anytime soon if this keeps up. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #209 on: September 14, 2019, 09:31:08 AM » Author: CEB1993
We finally broke an intense heat wave and drought here in SC yesterday evening. This week it hit 100 on Tuesday and 102 on Friday. The grass in the yards and golf courses is baked brown and gray and the A/C inside cannot keep up with cooling demands.

Yesterday, September 13 was the first rainfall of the month. It was really nice, gentle rain with a few claps of thunder.  A nice, relaxing evening thunderstorm. We probably got 1/4 inch of rain and today the clouds are holding down the temperature. I’m afraid it won’t get cooler and more fall-like till October. I consider most of September a summer month because of the warm climate I’m used to  8)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies