Author Topic: Severe weather never sleeps!  (Read 190064 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #555 on: April 12, 2020, 10:03:02 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
Tuscaloosa is about to get whooped and probably see a tornado from this nasty looking squall line.
Yep. Tornado near Tuscaloosa now.
Radar image 1 is 'Correlation Coefficient' which shows debris signature lifted into the air. (so basically tornado on the ground picking stuff up).
Radar image 2 is 'Velocity' /wind within the cloud. The rotation couplet shows pretty clearly on this one...deff a strong mesocyclone within that storm
(I added arrows)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:04:53 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #556 on: April 12, 2020, 11:22:38 PM » Author: Cole D.
I saw it tonight on the Weather Channel, plus there was a tornado in Laurel MS.

Hard to believe teens and 20s in north with snow, it been at high of 85 F here the last week, for most days at least, and Weather Channel showed 96 for Monday and Tuesday! Then back to mid 80s and some thunderstorms on Thursday onward.

Supposed to get rain today but none showed. Did have a slight shower on Friday afternoon.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #557 on: April 12, 2020, 11:43:01 PM » Author: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, I'm not seeing much news regarding that tornado... (which obviously touched down on radar for sure) ... so
that's a very good sign that not much damage happened, and that people weren't injured or hurt. Too early to tell though, so
of course I'll be keeping an eye out for any news about it by tomorrow

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #558 on: April 13, 2020, 12:02:49 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Cole D.:
Yep, there was the one in Laurel MS
I there's that point where the cold & the warm humid air masses interact ... then you get big storms.

@suzukir122:
It was north of the towns, so maybe they got lucky & it hit a mostly un-populated area.

Between AL & GA  there was 5 tornado warnings a few minutes  ago + one in SC.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #559 on: April 13, 2020, 01:33:54 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Last night.... daaammnn... all those severe storms... all those tornadoes.
I stayed up far too late (til 2am) watching radar & the one weather discord site...because .wow. it was just one after another.
Then that stuff just went on all night long, and even now its still going on, just to a lesser degree.

just 2 images (from GA) with debris signatures on radar 'Correlation Coefficient'

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #560 on: April 13, 2020, 02:01:35 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yesterday there was 703 total storm reports to the NWS, 63 of which were for tornadoes (97 & 9 so far today) :o
{more than one report can ofcourse go for the same storm/event}

-------------
Weather maps  for today...
upper left: Convective outlook
center left: Tornado outlook
lower left: Large hail outlook
upper right: Straight-line (ie: non-tornadic) wind outlook
center right: General thunderstorm outlook
lower right: Lightning between 9:42am - 11:42am (mountain time)

The only good thing is the main line of storms has now left the country out to sea.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #561 on: April 13, 2020, 05:27:57 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, that is a lot of thunderstorm and tornado reports! Were any of those tornadoes E-F3 and above?
That squall-line that was going through... I also noticed it wasn't weakening at all, and it maintained
its deep red center on radar the entire time.
If any of those storms produced E-F4 or E-F5 tornadoes, I'd be highly surprised though.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #562 on: April 13, 2020, 05:48:45 PM » Author: CEB1993
The latest news says 6 people have died in South Carolina from the two tornadoes and numerous severe storms early this morning  :'( It was a horrible night and the emergency alarm on my phone woke me up at about 4:30 am. I watched the radar on TV and was prepared to go into the downstairs closet if things got too bad outside. I got a lot of wind and extremely heavy rain.

The tornado that touched down was in Seneca, SC near the GA border. Later in the morning a second tornado was reported near Moncks Corner, near the coast. There was footage of wrecked houses, displaced cars, and numerous fallen trees all over the state. I got off somewhat easy, but this was definitely the worst severe outbreak for us so far this year. Here’s some pictures of the radar and the intense squall lines in the region:

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #563 on: April 13, 2020, 05:50:51 PM » Author: suzukir122
Now I of course wonder what that tornado strength was, with the numerous displaced cars and 6 people dead. That's
probably E-F3 status right there @CEB1993

Interests:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #564 on: April 13, 2020, 08:39:30 PM » Author: CEB1993
Now I of course wonder what that tornado strength was, with the numerous displaced cars and 6 people dead. That's
probably E-F3 status right there @CEB1993

They’re still in the process of determining the strength of this thing, but I’ve heard it was indeed an EF-3 tornado. I remember a spot outside of Seneca on the news last night clocking winds of 117 mph! Possibly a high end EF-2 or low EF-3. Either way it was a devastating event. Too bad it hit at night, otherwise I’m sure they could have gotten some great footage. SC tornadoes are relatively common, but ones as strong as this are quite rare. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #565 on: April 13, 2020, 09:21:24 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122: I'm guessing most of them were just low-rated EF0/EF1. Last night when I was watching on radar, it was mostly short-lived tornadoes (storms would drop one, then it'd die out, then a bit later they'd drop another, & so on) a couple showed pretty good on Correlation Coefficient so may have reached EF2 .. but until they can get in there  & do damage investigations, they simply can't say what the ratings were.

I do see one post saying the Seneca SC tor looks to be an EF3. Winds up to 160!

Also saw a couple pic's from MS of houses that were 'slabbed' (foundation wiped clean & nothing but a pile of scrap left of the house), and they were properly bolted down to the foundation, not simply sitting on it...that is very potential EF4 damage.
Multiple DOW's (Doppler On Wheels) clocked winds between 225 - 250 :o

@CEB1993:
I wondered about you when I saw storms in SC .. glad you're ok.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #566 on: April 13, 2020, 09:40:02 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah that's when things get scary. 200 to 250 mph winds and above. Damage can be... inconceivable.
And THAT is what makes tornadoes so interesting to me the most. Very high wind speeds like that lol

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #567 on: April 16, 2020, 12:19:11 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Yep wind speeds like that are just crazy, basically nothing is going to withstand it, except a very well built reinforced concrete building.

Also just incase you wanted to know...On my earlier post (Reply #353):
The 2nd image showing a tornado near Thomaston GA. That one got a preliminary rating of EF-3

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #568 on: April 16, 2020, 12:24:59 AM » Author: suzukir122
@xmaslightguy, Yep that's pretty close to 200mph winds if so.
Meantime over here, we are... sigh... back into winter weather. I can't believe I'm typing this.
I'm so tired of this state.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Severe weather never sleeps! « Reply #569 on: April 16, 2020, 11:22:13 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Its back to winter weather today here as well..

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies