Author Topic: What "SOX" stands for?  (Read 4934 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 05:04:29 PM » Author: Rommie
Phew..! Thanks James, seems we all got it wrong  ::) :-[

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 05:13:56 PM » Author: Binarix128
Thanks for your good explanation James! Wow, the abbreviation of "SOX" was not that easy. As I understand now, "SOX" means "Infrarred coated single cap sodium lamp" or "Single arctube one cap infrarred coated lamp" and "SON-T" "New tubular single cap sodium lamp".
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 02:03:43 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The SO in SON certainly does stand for sodium, not sure why N was used for HPS but that's what it means. I have a copy of the Philips Technical book on HPS lamps, I'll have to see if it mentions anything.

By the way, SOX and LPS aren't interchangeable; there are other forms of LPS, notably SLI (linear) and the older SO/H and SOI/H lamps. They are all LPS.

Incidentally, the X in SOX does indeed mean that the lamp has an infrared reflective coating on the inner side of the outer envelope.

I have seen a post here where someone said that a SLI/H lamp is a “linear SOX” lamp.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 02:08:16 PM » Author: Rommie
I have seen a post here where someone said that a SLI/H lamp is a “linear SOX” lamp.
It operates on the same principle, yes. It is a linear form of low pressure sodium lamp. It isn't a "SOX" lamp.

Read what James says in reply #15 - he's the expert, having worked in the industry for many years.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:22:17 PM by sox35 » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 02:24:45 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It operates on the same principle, yes. It is a linear form of low pressure sodium lamp. It isn't a "SOX" lamp.

Read what James says in reply #15 - he's the expert, having worked in the industry for many years.

Here is the erroneous comment I found on that post:

This is a LINEAR SOX Lamp, This is it just after switch on... These warm up & go Yellow like a SOX lamp

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 02:28:50 PM » Author: Rommie
Here is the erroneous comment I found on that post:

This is a LINEAR SOX Lamp, This is it just after switch on... These warm up & go Yellow like a SOX lamp

Who said that and in what post..? I cannot see that sentence anywhere in this thread.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 05:13:22 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Who said that and in what post..? I cannot see that sentence anywhere in this thread.

Here is the posting with the erroneous comment:

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=180&pid=59602

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 06:20:59 PM » Author: Ash
Dont they use the same Indium Oxide as the single ended SOX ?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 06:21:36 PM » Author: Rommie
I believe so, yes.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 12:34:35 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The SO in SON certainly does stand for sodium, not sure why N was used for HPS but that's what it means. I have a copy of the Philips Technical book on HPS lamps, I'll have to see if it mentions anything.

By the way, SOX and LPS aren't interchangeable; there are other forms of LPS, notably SLI (linear) and the older SO/H and SOI/H lamps. They are all LPS.

Incidentally, the X in SOX does indeed mean that the lamp has an infrared reflective coating on the inner side of the outer envelope.

I believe that the reason as to why so many people have used the terms “SOX” and “LPS” interchangeably is because SOX lamps are the most common low pressure sodium lamps in the world and the other types are much much rarer than SOX lamps because they have long since been discontinued long before SOX was discontinued.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 05:28:40 AM » Author: sol
I believe that the N in SON meant 'new'. I don't remember where I read it, and I might be totally out of the ball game on this, however.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What "SOX" stands for? « Reply #26 on: November 27, 2020, 05:31:47 AM » Author: sol
I found it and it indeed means 'new'. See posts by Max and James above in this thread :

Very good question!

[...]

In 1965 Osram-GEC was first to introduce high pressure sodium lamps in Europe, but it did not assign any name to them.  The following year AEI-Mazda also introduced its HPS types and denoted those as SON, and as Max indicates the N simply meant New.  Philips in Holland also adopted the same name.

[...]

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies